Need help from CS Audiophiles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow.. thanks for sharing .. didnt know they have appreciated so much. Yes .. its a very nice speaker ... BBC used to use them as monitor speakers in their studios .. not sure if they are still using them . The LS3/5A is a classic :)

Currently, BBC is using the PMC DB1i as their studio monitors. The DB1i speakers can handle later digital format better than the LS3/5A.

wow.. thanks for sharing .. didnt know they have appreciated so much. Yes .. its a very nice speaker ... BBC used to use them as monitor speakers in their studios .. not sure if they are still using them . The LS3/5A is a classic :)

the ls3/5a is still available as richard allens from electrades, brand new, kef t27 and b110 drivers with the 11 ohm crossover.. price a couple of years ago was 2.7 there abouts..

but since kef doesnt make the drivers anymore since decade plus ago.. someday the ls3/5 will go out of production.

stirling broadcast's made a new "bbc certified" ls3/5a and they come in awesome cabinets.. sounds pretty good.. 2.4k at music by design.. (but they were driven by a pair of $22k monoblocks during the audition... *wavac cough*)

linn also made some ls3/5s known as linn kans.. they were designed to have reinforced bass when positioned near the wall..

spendor too had a ls3/5, but eventually due to the easy failure of the kef b110 woofer.. they eventually came up with their own version of the 3/5, by turning the original ls3/5 sideways and using their proprietary drivers.. known as s3/5 or s3/5se..

the hype about the ls3/5 was due to hongkongers popularizing it.. in hk they just dont have space for massive audio setups and the ls3/5 was doing a good nearfield confined job.. :p that was how the ls3/5 became $600 -> $2000 used now

Ah, you know about ANS too.
Thank you.

Haha..coz am using their AN DAC 1.1 Signature and Marantz CD17MKIII player as transport.
That's about the only component from them that I can afford.Truelly the music is different.

in hk they just dont have space for massive audio setups and the ls3/5 was doing a good nearfield confined job.. :p that was how the ls3/5 became $600 -> $2000 used now

Same here in Singapore where many of us live in pigeon-holes. But of course, 'pigeon-holes' in Hong Kong are built for hummingbirds instead.

Anybody remember Mr. Joe Lee of Hi-Fi Corner in Adelphi during the 1990s? I still keep in touch with him, and he is a photographer like many of us here.;)

Last edited:
the ls3/5a is still available as richard allens from electrades, brand new, kef t27 and b110 drivers with the 11 ohm crossover.. price a couple of years ago was 2.7 there abouts..

but since kef doesnt make the drivers anymore since decade plus ago.. someday the ls3/5 will go out of production.

stirling broadcast's made a new "bbc certified" ls3/5a and they come in awesome cabinets.. sounds pretty good.. 2.4k at music by design.. (but they were driven by a pair of $22k monoblocks during the audition... *wavac cough*)

linn also made some ls3/5s known as linn kans.. they were designed to have reinforced bass when positioned near the wall..

spendor too had a ls3/5, but eventually due to the easy failure of the kef b110 woofer.. they eventually came up with their own version of the 3/5, by turning the original ls3/5 sideways and using their proprietary drivers.. known as s3/5 or s3/5se..

the hype about the ls3/5 was due to hongkongers popularizing it.. in hk they just dont have space for massive audio setups and the ls3/5 was doing a good nearfield confined job.. :p that was how the ls3/5 became $600 -> $2000 used now

wow .. so many LS3/5A experts here ... ya .. i remember spendor and even harbeth. ... so is it going to be a problem finding parts if the drivers go ?

Ah, I did have a AN DAC 1x but not Signature. Signature was beyond my budget at that
time. It was coupled with a CEC TL-2X. AN has a certain thing about their tube sound.

I ever had a P1 SE as power amp and Croft Vitale as a pre-amp.

After I was bitten by tube sound, I do not seem to be able to go back
to discreet.

Btw, good combo. :thumbsup:
Haha..coz am using their AN DAC 1.1 Signature and
Marantz CD17MKIII player as transport.
That's about the only component from them that I can afford.
Truelly the music is different.

Last edited:
I remembered Mr Lee of Hi-fi Corner. He did run ads on Sat newspaper to recommend
CDs. Go to his shop almost every weekend to buy CDs. That's the BBB of audiophile.

Always finding that special CDs to test the equipment that one has brought.
His shop concept was quite unique at that point in time.
Anybody remember Mr. Joe Lee of Hi-Fi Corner in Adelphi
during the 1990s? I still keep in touch with him, and
he is a photographer like many of us here.;)

wow .. so many LS3/5A experts here ... ya .. i remember spendor and even harbeth. ... so is it going to be a problem finding parts if the drivers go ?

Not with the LS3/5A. I am positive that you can always find replacement parts for them. I remember at one point, everyone seemed to be very concern when rumors came that KEF would stop producing the B110 woofer. Good news is there a few 3rd party compatible driver units available now. However, using a different driver unit may change the sound characteristics of the LS3/5A.

Last edited:
Oxidized contacts will affect the sound of your system, shd do contact cleaning once in a while, when I was more into the hobby several years back, I clean them almost once a month..

You can try Caig products, they are pretty good and will make your system sounds refreshing again.. :cool:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl;jsession...3eTaxiPc3mTe34Pa38Ta38Mc3z0?sc=2&category=292

Thanks all for the replies and pete's invitation to check out your system:)

My dad was fiddling with the cd player just now and guess wat? It worked!!!

What he did was to plug out the DA wire and put it back in and it worked...somehow didn't make any sense. How come an external wire will cause the player to not read the CD???

Anyway, I'm not an audiophile who knows the insides of an audio system but knows how to listen an appreciate a good system and music. So, i'll seriously consider petetherock's offer (dad's interested too!).

Only thing is somehow during soft passages, some low static noise can be heard...dad says the wires and connectors are not clean.

I remembered Mr Lee of Hi-fi Corner. He did run ads on Sat newspaper to recommend
CDs. Go to his shop almost every weekend to buy CDs. That's the BBB of audiophile.

Always finding that special CDs to test the equipment that one has brought.
His shop concept was quite unique at that point in time.

In those days, Hi-Fi Corner was like a music paradise and a second-home to many audiophiles. Free coffee and tea. A cosy corner with sofa, a good size coffee table and many Hi-Fi magazines (both in English and Chinese) to read.

I ever asked Joe if he has the intention to revive Hi-Fi Corner again. His reply was 'no'. :cry: As such, Hi-Fi Corner will always remain in our mind as fond memories of the past.

Last edited:
The hifi corner is at adelphi 3rd floor at the back row? Used to buy "low-fi" like rotel/marantz/arcam in the mid 1990s brand new,now into even "lower-fi", buying the same old products from the 1990s at minimal cost...haha. Looking for a china tube amp and a full range speaker now as well.:devil:Maybe a Jolida 1701 and a Loth-x BS-1?:lovegrin:

Sorry for the late reply.
Glad that your player is working again.

I have been through many setups over the years.
Now. I am back to a basic setup.

Speaker: Totem Acoustic Arro
CD Player: Blue Note Koala Tube
Amp: Leben CS-300 Integrated (Tube based)
2698198477_0ba61f1b8e_m.jpg

I have stopped chasing after audiophile equipment.
It is all about the music now.
Only the music, your dad would understand.

And of course, there is photography. :)

omg that is sweet.

Katong has a good selection of old school tubes..
I wish i had the cash to burn to get me one of these.

Maybe when i move out. :)

The hifi corner is at adelphi 3rd floor at the back row?

Yes.

I, too, started hi-fi using 'lower-end' equipment. I had my first setup in 1978 and it comprised of a Luxman L-80v integrated amp, an Akai cassette deck, a Mitsubishi turntable, a pair of Goodmans speakers and an old Denon tuner.

Ah, the cassette tape. I started with a cassette tape date (Technics, I think),
Pioneer speakers, Mission Cyrus amp. The Nakamichi decks were the dream
decks of those days. Anyone remember the Yahama showroom at Sg Plaza?

Wow, Luxman! Remember that some Luxman amps have tubes inside their sets too.
Yes.

I, too, started hi-fi using 'lower-end' equipment. I had my first setup in 1978 and it comprised of a Luxman L-80v integrated amp, an Akai cassette deck, a Mitsubishi turntable, a pair of Goodmans speakers and an old Denon tuner.

Ah, the cassette tape. I started with a cassette tape date (Technics, I think),
Pioneer speakers, Mission Cyrus amp. The Nakamichi decks were the dream
decks of those days. Anyone remember the Yahama showroom at Sg Plaza?

Wow, Luxman! Remember that some Luxman amps have tubes inside their sets too.

Eventually I finally own a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck. It cost me like S$1,800 used and I still have it. The Dragon has been sitting inside my storeroom ever since I moved into my new flat in 2002. It needs new heads and belts (and probably a new motor too).

Last edited:
Yes.

i have a pair of goodmans too.. :p axioms.. 12" from 1964.. ;p

Wow ! This thread certainly brings out all the audiophiles from the photgs' woodwork.To be
honest I am into Hometheater also.From DVDs now graduated to Blu-Rays.Geezus!

Wow....this thread has taken a life of its own. I'm done with my questions but I shall keep this thread open for audiophiles and for me to learn something from you guys here. Keep going!

Wow ! This thread certainly brings out all the audiophiles from the photgs' woodwork.To be
honest I am into Hometheater also.From DVDs now graduated to Blu-Rays.Geezus!

I am waiting for the prices of Blu-Ray players to drop further. ;)

now blu-ray player is roughly 600bucks. how much does a a Blu-ray movies cost?

DVD quality is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.