Need Help for Yunnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrolik

Jun 5, 2005
Has anyone been to Yunnan for photography and trekking before? Am contemplating going during autumn at the end of October covering Lijiang, Tiger Jump gorge and Shangri-la. Appreciate if someone could share your previous itenary, cost and contacts over in Yunnan. :bsmilie:

maestrolik said:
Has anyone been to Yunnan for photography and trekking before? Am contemplating going during autumn at the end of October covering Lijiang, Tiger Jump gorge and Shangri-la. Appreciate if someone could share your previous itenary, cost and contacts over in Yunnan. :bsmilie:

If you do a search, you can find things like this....

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131269&highlight=yunnan

its pretty cheap.
If possible, go by thai airways where u transfer at bangkok. About $400.

Autum will be a good time. Colors are good and it will get cold. ( about 10 deg ). the crowds are not there.

What to see:

1) There is a direct plane to Lijiang, but i suggest u fly to Kunming and travel to Lijiang.
Give Kunming a miss. The stone forest and Jiuxiang are tourist traps. Expensive and boring.
It will be good to have a local tour guide bring u around. Surf around forums to pick up contacts. The road from Kunming to Lijiang is DARN beautiful. There are many valleys and gorges to look at. Rolling plains with cottages. Beautiful.

2) at Lijiang. There is an old town, which is a replica of the original one. It's very touristy but VEry good to look at ala venice with it's small streams. Can shop around a bit. At the city square, old folks will gather to dance every night. Quite charming. From here, some shops actually offer short 3/4 day trips to local places like Mt ErMei for skiing etc. Look for a shop that sells engraved stones with a chalkboard outside asking for travelling companion.

You can get by with very cheap lodgings when the tourist season is out. The further up you go to the old town, the cheaper things get. There are also "ming su" which goes for RB $50 per nite.

Food also gets cheaper the further up u go. Try rabbit steamboat. The most popular place is Sakura. Try their egg omelette. at RM$10 its damn good. If possible , u must eat " guo Qiao mi xian ". It should cost $10 at kunming. Look for those roadside shop, much better than resturants. There are also some good and quaint resturants all around...but prices are much higher the lower they are located.

What to shot at Lijiang.
It's a very crowded place. This place does not snow even during winter because it's in a valley where temperatures are moderated. Photography during normal times are not exceptional.

Early morning when the streets are empty + rising sun is good.
Roof tops is good.
Night time is not bad.
Last time i was there, i walked all the way up above the old town to some high class residential area like victorial peak. I captured a beautiful sunset between 2 mountains and of old folk strolling around hand in hand.

maestrolik said:
Hi thanks for the advice! Btw did you look for a land tour agency in Kunming and did you manage to go all the way to shangrila. I have 10 days to tour in Yunnan and should suffice for 3 places. the 400 bucks airfare includes taxes and 2 ways?

No, we arrange our tours and had some part time tour guides along the way. They charge different rates. If they think u are a chinaman, ur prices are likely to be a few times cheaper ( no joke). If they know u are from singapore, get ready to be chopped. The best is to be students from beijing university, or somewhere on the other side of china so they believe that ur funny and not so good chinese really belongs to china.
tics prices varies, so i suggest u chk it out

yeah..Shangri-la is called zhongdian by the way. It's a dusty place.
10 days is enuff.

Zhongdian got that song zhan ling shi, a replica of the tibetian monastery. You can take a 4 hours bus ride from lijiang to there. Along the way, u might stop over a rather scenic lake/river, i can't remember what is the name...but it's damn good to photograph, especially with yaks carrying passengers across the river.

In CHINA, look for a GOOD and cautious bus driver, preferably one WHO smokes. The roads are very dangerous and u want a driver who smokes so that he stays alert.

During spring time, there are horse races which can be exciting. There are some grassland plains etc, where they try to con you with stupid horse rides and exhorbitant entrace fees. Dun bother to go. Likelihood is some of them will invite u to a so call cultural show with so called authentic local yak meal etc. Again, dun bother to go. Another bunch of cheats.

There's also a baishu tai,( white limestone terrance) one of the only 2 in the world. Again. Dun bother to go. Entrace fees are high...and the scene, not worth it. Really only just trickle of water over some white ( and now badly corroded) limestone that's barely 50m².

Visit zhongdian only for the monastry. For meals, i really suggest u try out the local grills. Last time, i ate at this Dali Shaokao TWICE. Damn good, especially the beef and it's cheap.

Tiger leaping gorge is er, Ok. Deep gorges and muddy water. You can hike over the entire gorge for 3 days, lower, mid and higher gorge IF you dun mind looking at the same thing for 3 days. BTW, it's v dangerous if it's raining heavily.

Stop by lugu hu ( a lake ) if u can. It's VERY nice. Lovely billowy trees besides tranquil river...and it's free.

2 days lijiang, 2 day zhongdian, Tiger leaping gorge, take a car and cover it in 2 days. Go up north a bit and try to cover jiuzaigou ( which by now is also VERY toursity...at $$60 entrace)
and spend your last 2 days in chengdu before flying back.

Status
Not open for further replies.