need help for shaky hands

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
hi all

how can i train to have a stable hands for indoor or low light shooting??

thx

My hands tend to tremble so I find having a slightly heavier setup actually helps to somewhat dampen the shake. Other than practicing correct holding techniques, maybe a grip to increase the weight (if not too much) or flash (weight + additional lighting). There's only so much you can do under low light environment before relying on tripod, flash, etc.

Even if your hand don't move, doesn't your subject move ? Use flash, shoot manual with your shutter speed set at 1/125 and shorter, use the highest ISO that you can bear without too much noise, your aperture set at the correct size for the DOF you need and shoot. TTL mode for the flash will power up as accordingly to ensure freezing movement.

If you don't want to use flash, then use a tripod, but this will not solve the problem should your subjects are moving. If you want to use a monopod, it will only stop your hands from shaking much, but that is not the solution to subjects moving and possible long exposure required for insufficient light.

Another way is to stop down a couple notch for your exposure using the exposure compensation feature in cameras. That will bring back some shutter speed but your pic will be darker, which might be what you want. Your camera will meter mid-gray for exposure which can often be too bright in dim lighting. You need to compensate to ensure it's not over bright and hence slow shutter speed.

Understand your gear and skills will make this question irrelevant.

hi all

thx

hi all
thx

control your breathing, do not be anxious and have confidence in what you are doing. Practice makes perfect.

It takes time to learn fundamentals of lowlight photography.

Last edited:
I do exactly this. But I breath out.. stop breathing then shoot.

Keep your arms and elbows as close to your body as possible. Hold your breath for a moment when pressing the shutter

1/reciprocal of the focal length you are using is one trick.

install a pullup bar and train pullups is another.
pushups are a good way to go.

dun forget situps and training of the lower back muscles. it helps with stabilization

Keep your elbows close to your body. Use the viewfinder, not liveview. Press the shutter gently.

i train myself using old MF focus lens. it does helps (at least for me). :D

the theory behind it is to train your hand to be steady cos if your hand is not steady, your focusing will be off very easily (pre focus also no use, the accuracy will not be there).

these two shots, shot at f1.4 wide open.

316273_10150296859967523_688242522_7955494_2036950521_n.jpg

300844_10150296860027523_688242522_7955497_1826772920_n.jpg

Last edited:
if you find that the camera is too heavy and makes your hands tremble.... i suggest this:

20kg_red001.gif

and this:

Get_Massive.gif

and lastly this:

5%20lb.gif

You have to first raise your hand, then look at your officer, make sure u don't anyhow point your camera. It's dangerous to anyhow point at people's face. Keep the lens at all times facing front. Identify the problem by inspecting the camera. Make sure you load your god damn CF card or SD card or whatever CARD you are using. DOn't slot a SD card into the CF slot. Sometimes it can be loose. Make a light tap to secure the connection. You might need to hold on to the card pressed when shooting. Rectify the problem and continue the shoot.

Don't smile at the officer when you are in the middle of a shoot. It's not a game. Recruit!

Sometimes when I press the shutter, nothing happens and I will just start shouting IA! IA! IA!.

Last edited:
David Kwok said:
You have to first raise your hand, then look at your officer, make sure u don't anyhow point your camera. It's dangerous to anyhow point at people's face. Keep the lens at all times facing front. Identify the problem by inspecting the camera. Make sure you load your god damn CF card or SD card or whatever CARD you are using. DOn't slot a SD card into the CF slot. Sometimes it can be loose. Make a light tap to secure the connection. You might need to hold on to the card pressed when shooting. Rectify the problem and continue the shoot.

Don't smile at the officer when you are in the middle of a shoot. It's not a game. Recruit!

Firers, watch your front!

LmaO~ U guys are "whacking" this thread man... Haha!

I breathe out when I press the shutter. Works for me.

Hi TS.
This link will be helpful to you.

You can do a self experiment. Shoot at different focal length and different shutterspeed. You will then know what are the minimum shutterspeed you need to shoot at and at different focal length to get a sharp photo.

Last edited: