Need help for my 18-200mm nikkor lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

tongso

Feb 13, 2007
I just got a 2nd hand nikkor 18-200mm lens. However, when i switch to the A/M mode (autofocus with manual priorty), I still need to adjust to focus ring until the right focus before it allow me to shoot or whenever i want to take photos. Is this how this lens work or is there something wrong with my lens? I find it quite troublesome especially when i need to focus and shoot fast as the focusing will take some time and have to refocus again for the next pic. Thanks.

hmm...if it's on full-auto, this shouldn't be the case :think:

What body are you using, btw?

Nope, not supposed to be like that... Is your body focusing switch in manual or something?

Did you test the 18-200 on the spot when buying?

I just got a 2nd hand nikkor 18-200mm lens. However, when i switch to the A/M mode (autofocus with manual priorty), I still need to adjust to focus ring until the right focus before it allow me to shoot or whenever i want to take photos. Is this how this lens work or is there something wrong with my lens? I find it quite troublesome especially when i need to focus and shoot fast as the focusing will take some time and have to refocus again for the next pic. Thanks.

Looks like the seller sold you a unit with defective AF motor. Judging from the fact that you cannot shoot means the body is still in the single servo AF mode with focus priority. NSC can fix it but at a price, so it's up to you how you want to pursue with the seller.

I'm using a D60 body....thanks for the help. The lens warranty is still unfilled yet..so is it possible for me to send the lens for servicing? They won't charge right if it's still under warranty?

Just to clarify: You say that your lens does not auto-focus at all?

You set it to (A/M) mode, and it won't fire until you MANUALLY turn the focus ring to focus on your subject?
I assume that since the camera refuses to fire, the A/M switch on your D60's body is set to A.

Just one more check to confirm that your auto-focus motor is kaput:
- Cam body to A and lens to A/M
- manually turn the ring till the subject is ALMOST in focus, but not totally.
- half-press the shutter button.

Does the lens automatically focus sharply on the subject?

If your lens is > 1 year old (from date of purchase. Doesn't matter if warranty card is unfilled), then you won't enjoy a free repair of the motor.

I'm using a D60 body....thanks for the help. The lens warranty is still unfilled yet..so is it possible for me to send the lens for servicing? They won't charge right if it's still under warranty?

the warranty card may be unfilled but the warranty itself is pretty useless :think:

The staff at Nikon told me that they only need the shop receipt to verify when the warranty started. If you don't have the receipt, they can't verify when you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.