need help for lens - 85mm or 135mm or bigger

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
hi all

if i want to take a portrait picture @ a distance of 3-5m that only shows the upper body. Will the lens that has the maximum of 85mm enough??

thx regards

Last edited:
if you are on crop, 85mm with a 3-5m distance from your model for upper body is fine.

if you are on crop, 85mm with a 3-5m distance from your model for upper body is fine.

Whats cropping? i will be using a 7D

Whats cropping? i will be using a 7D

Crop is for crop sensor or APS-C sensor. Basically the sensor size is 24mm (or i think 22mm for canon) instead of 35mm (full frame).

Your camera is crop sensor.

Crop is for crop sensor or APS-C sensor. Basically the sensor size is 24mm (or i think 22mm for canon) instead of 35mm (full frame).

Your camera is crop sensor.

oh ok, so with the 22mm sensor size with a lens at 85-/+ will able to do what i want right

thx

On Canon's cropped sensor, your 85mm lens will behave as a 136mm lens (85 x 1.6). For all the lens, you would need to multiply a 1.6 crop factor. I would not really recommend a 135mm lens in your case, it might be too tight and you might need to stand way back.

On Canon's cropped sensor, your 85mm lens will behave as a 136mm lens (85 x 1.6). For all the lens, you would need to multiply a 1.6 crop factor. I would not really recommend a 135mm lens in your case, it might be too tight and you might need to stand way back.

thx for the reply, actually i am just planning to get the 7D. in this case, i think i will need to consider the lesser crop cameras or stick with the 7d after read up more about cropping

thx

thx for the reply, actually i am just planning to get the 7D. in this case, i think i will need to consider the lesser crop cameras or stick with the 7d after read up more about cropping

thx

The TS wants to shoot from 3-5m back. 85mm should be about right for that distance on a crop sensor.

rhino123 said:

I think you've managed to confuse TS :)
Hehehehe

ErikaT said:

thx

Canon's range of DSLRs are either with a 'cropped sensor' (crop factor of 1.6) or 'full frame' (same as film SLR - no crop factor)
A similar situation exists with the other brands.
So there is no "lesser crop" cameras :)
Hope that helps.

Canon's range of DSLRs are either with a 'cropped sensor' (crop factor of 1.6) or 'full frame' (same as film SLR - no crop factor)
Hope that helps.

To throw in the confusion, apart from 1.6 crop and FF, Canon really has a "lesser crop" aka the1.3x crop ( hohohoh .. )

Ryan

Hope that helps.

U forgot that there is also a APS-H ;)

Hope that helps.

Actually there are 3 in Canon. You forgot about Canon's 1D series' 1.3x crop factor sensor.

So TS:

For Canon DSLRs, there are three sizes of sensors currently available.

1) APS-C, which has a crop factor of 1.6x [1100D, 600D, 60D, 7D, etc] - basically your entry to enthusiast DSLRs
2) APS-H, which has a crop factor of 1.3x [1D]
3) 'Full frame', which has no crop factor [5DmkII, 1DsmkIII]

hope I'm right! :sweat:

hi all

if i want to take a portrait picture @ a distance of 3-5m that only shows the upper body. Will the lens that has the maximum of 85mm enough??

thx regards

on a 1.5 crop, a 50mm or even 35mm is sufficient if your working area is 3-5m and doing waist up shots .... with a 85mm on crop sensor , you will likely end up with head + shoulders shots

just bring your camera to the shop and try out for yourself and decide what u are comfortable with

Last edited:
on a 1.5 crop, a 50mm or even 35mm is sufficient if your working area is 3-5m and doing waist up shots .... with a 85mm on crop sensor , you will likely end up with head + shoulders shots

just bring your camera to the shop and try out for yourself and decide what u are comfortable with

the 7d is with the 15-85 or the 18-135 kit lens, thus i m asking for the recommendations which should i get

the 7d is with the 15-85 or the 18-135 kit lens, thus i m asking for the recommendations which should i get

My personal preference is to go for 15-85, since I like to go as wide as possible, and 85 is pretty sufficient on a crop factor cam like 7D.

But that's just me ;)

i hav went to the canon showroom today, trying some of the lens.

i had tried the 200mm lens with 60d, to my superise that is something that i want, i thought just get the 85mm or the 135mm lens will do. however the 200mm is the only lens that able to close up to that edge that i want

i hav went to the canon showroom today, trying some of the lens.

i had tried the 200mm lens with 60d, to my superise that is something that i want, i thought just get the 85mm or the 135mm lens will do. however the 200mm is the only lens that able to close up to that edge that i want

For convenience wise, 18-200mm is a good lens... quite sharp too. However don't expect it to give similar sharpness as compared to 15-85mm.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1

Another alternative would be to get the 15-85mm lens + 70-200mm f4L (if possible, get the f2.8L) and this combination will be perfect.