need help for buy a nikon camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

shangfook77

Jun 24, 2008
hi....

I am new in camera, i would like to buy a Nikon digital Compact Camera, my budget is $400-$500. can any one give me some opiniion? I mean refer me some good and nice model of Coolpix series.

Thank......

hi....

I am new in camera, i would like to buy a Nikon digital Compact Camera, my budget is $400-$500. can any one give me some opiniion? I mean refer me some good and nice model of Coolpix series.

Thank......

First off, you have to decide what you want out of the camera, other than the budget. What type of photos do you want to take? Every coolpix model does its job pretty well, and are different in form and function.

If you are not clear about what you want, then you will get opinions you do not want.

nikon compacts are not very highly rated.

You can try go for Casio compacts instead, and yap Nikon compact are not so highly rated :confused:

You can try go for Casio compacts instead, and yap Nikon compact are not so highly rated :confused:

Casio compacts are no better, especially in the noise handling department.

for techies like many CSers, ya bring your own SD card to test is a good method.

for most casual consumers, they would be sold to the 'nice' pics they see on the LCDs of the cammies.

since the thread starter said recommend a nikon camera PnS for $400~500..
let's be simple and recommend what we know.
here's my suggestion: coolpix P80, P5100, S210...
try them out and see which ones you like. no need to make it so complicated.
shoot > see > like or not? > buy or continue shopping.

i got a nikon $199 compact. If all you need for that camera is to aim, shoot and forget about it, its good enough. (who cares about noise, i just want to capture the moment of my friend's face pressed into the birthday cake)

actually, you are absolutely, rite. as i've mentioned b4, it doesn't matter wat PnS camera cos most PnS (except for the sigma DP-1) suffers from poor image quality pass ISO400 due to the size of the sensor. hence... heck, just find one within the budget, and you like the functions and handling, so that you can capture the cake-in-the-face shot, can already. :bsmilie:

Even though you said Nikon OP, I would suggest you look at Canons. The Ixus 860 IMO is a superb package of convenience, function and can be had for sl more than $500

hi....

Thank......

As a Nikon user myself, I could not find a Coolpix which I can rate better than the Fujifilm F100fd in the same price range. It's probably in the same range as the S600 but images from the Fujifilm look better. The Fujifilm has cleaner high ISO performance also. Got mine for $499 at MS colour.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...cameras=nikon_cps600,fujifilm_F100fd&show=all

Images taken from http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
The S600 greenery at 100% crop exhibit watercolour effect while that of the Fujifilm looks natural. That was the deciding factor for me.

Nikon S600
http://75.126.132.154/PRODS/CPS600/FULLRES/CPS600hHOUSE.JPG

Fujifilm F100fd
http://75.126.132.154/PRODS/F100FD/FULLRES/F100FDhHOUSE.jpg

Yea i remembered that canon was alot better? am i right? please slap me if i am wrong someone :p

Yea i remembered that canon was alot better? am i right? please slap me if i am wrong someone :p

You are right, however the higher performance and styling comes at an added price.

You are right, however the higher performance and styling comes at an added price.

but with a 4-500 budget he could get a relatively good one already. say a 860IS need to add a LITTLE more money though

for compacts best is consider canon or fuji.
past models like 800IS and F31fd are gd cams but cant find them around for 1st hand models anymore.
F100fd is perhaps the next best choice after F31fd.
remember the lower the MP count the better the noise control but sometimes still have to depend on the cam's internal noise processing control.

Thank for everyone kindly reply and useful information. because i am new, since u guy mention canon is better. i would like to consider Nikon and Canon. below is my some requiment, hope brothers can help.

- thin body(like Nikon S52)
- 3" LCD screen
- Vibration reduce ( because some time take picture on the small boat, u know sea wave, the boat left right up down)
- can shot nearly to target, around 5 cm
- of course big enough memory

If take Nikon S52 as a comparison basic, compare to canon, what model of canon is same grade than S52?

Thank...

- 3" LCD screen
- Vibration reduce ( because some time take picture on the small boat, u know sea wave, the boat left right up down)

Agree with what some had suggested before - give fuji F100fd a try. It has all the features you want, and more!
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f100fd/index.html

Thank for everyone kindly reply and useful information. because i am new, since u guy mention canon is better. i would like to consider Nikon and Canon. below is my some requiment, hope brothers can help.

- 3" LCD screen

If take Nikon S52 as a comparison basic, compare to canon, what model of canon is same grade than S52?

Thank...

I will still say look at the ixus models, quite a good choice, 860IS. memory doesn't really matter just buy card. yea.

- 3" LCD screen

Thank...

Go take a look at the comparometer (Ixus 860IS is Powershot SD870IS) then decide for yourself. For about the same money, Fujifilm F100fd offers better high ISO images (look at the ISO800 and above samples) and nicer colours (may be subjective) than Canon.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

After that go to a shop (eg MS Colour, Alan Photo, etc) and try them side by side.

Although I'm a Nikonian, frankly Nikon had not made any outstanding Compact for so long that I had already totally lost track on their compact.

im a nikon user myselfy. but for PnS wise, i always recommend canon.
i feel they make the most complete compact cams.

Status
Not open for further replies.