Need help for beginner strobist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iRaphael

Feb 23, 2007
Pandan Gardens
Hi everyone, I'm a beginner strobist with an offshoe cord and a flash.

I would like to seek some advice on what umbrella should I begin with. I have read the strobist blog, and still do not know which one to choose.

Also, would like to advice on the which umbrella holder to pick and any recommended lightstands. ;p

Thanks all!

Shoot without the modifiers first...

Learn how the light works from different angles. When you have a better understanding, then you can slowly look at the different modifiers like grids, umbrellas, snoots, etc...

Shoot without the modifiers first...

Learn how the light works from different angles. When you have a better understanding, then you can slowly look at the different modifiers like grids, umbrellas, snoots, etc...

Agree.

Also start with 1 strobe first; then 2, then 3, etc.
Read books that show how shots are done. Try it yourself with your equipment.
Learn how to mix lights with different 'strength' and different positions.

then move on. And don't forget: more is not always better. Actually some real pros do magic with just one light. Like the sun - don't need strobe ;-)

Can just get all the white, silver, black etc umbrellas and play with it. Since you intend to get into strobing, no loss.

Ah yes.

I've been shooting with the offshoe cord quite often.

Though most of the times its been quite hard to shoot with the flash in one hand, the camera with the other. Gonna get a wireless flash trigger and umbrellas soon so that I can practise more.

Status
Not open for further replies.