Need help - DigiCam in cold & dusty environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tech_snoopy

Hi all, had recently got myself a Olympus C700 - great little gadget!

Question: I would be going on a business trip to Beijing, China in May, and was planning to bring along my latest little gadget with me - I'm told that it's going to be fairly chilly still and, VERY windy and extremely dusty at that time of year. So, to all the digicam gurus out there, would it be okay to operate a delicate electronic camera in such an environment (cold, strong wind and tons of dust in the air)... could it be harmful and if so, what can I do to protect the device /overcome ? Really appreciate any comments/advice you may have - thanks in advance!

The best thing to protect your camera in that environtment is a marine/waterproof case.
Cheers
:)

And try to keep the batteries and camera warm... Batteries don't work too well in the cold. If your cam uses AA, try some lithium AA, heard that they perform well in the cold.

Get a lens tube and UV Filter. Beijing won't be snowing in May so only need to worry about the sand storm.:bwhat:

Thanks all !

What's a lens tube and UV Filter for and how does it help in my case?

Also, guys, any specific recommendation for the marine/ waterproof case?

Originally posted by tech_snoopy
Thanks all !

What's a lens tube and UV Filter for and how does it help in my case?
The UV Filter will protect your DC lens from being scratched. To use the filter, you need a lens adaptor (tube) to cover the lens portion that extended out from your DC. So, with the Lens tube and filter the extended portion of your DC is well protected against dust, sand and others.;)

Thanks Kevin for the info ! :D

Will sure post some of my amateur work if everything works out for the trip later ..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.