Need Help Deciding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-Fotographia

Nov 23, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi all, need help to decide which lens to get. I'm trying to decide between Tokina 24-40mm F2.8 or Nikon 35mm F1.8 or Nikon 28 - 80mm F/3.3-5.6G

My main purpose is for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D stuff like tht) and i need quite a wide angle lens but not those super ex kind... so these few still fall within my budget range. (Just for info my setup now is D90 with 18-105 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 and 75-300mm)

Also while i'm on the topic, has anyone used a tokina 28-210mm F/3.5-5.6 came across this lens but can hardly find any reviews on it. Hope you guys can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

For event, I'd suggest Tokina 24-40mm F2.8.

ever consider tamron 17-50mm F2.8?

i'm aiming to get one.

i 2nd this opinion. 17mm wider den the 24mm u were intending to get..

it isnt very ex too.. brand new $610 can get from OP at SLS

comes with 3 yrs warranty as well

Last edited:
D90 + 17-50 f/2.8 and 85 f/1.8 should be a pretty decent combo for weddings.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. hmmm 17-50 seems like a good idea but abit out of my budget coz i actually set aside only 300 bucks for the lens as I'm intending to get other gear as well. So that's why i put up this 3 lens for comparison. I have a 18-105 which is my kit lens which if i use at 18mm is wide enough but somehow I find it too wide and i have to zoom in to achieve what i want I tried using the 24-40 and tmr will be testing the 35mm so only the 28-80 i have not tried yet.

I appreciate all the suggestions given but for the mean time maybe we could stick to just the 3 choices i mentioned ;)

Last edited:
My main purpose is for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D stuff like tht) and i need quite a wide angle lens but not those super ex kind... so these few still fall within my budget range. (Just for info my setup now is D90 with 18-105 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 and 75-300mm) ......

quote]
Frankly, D90 with 18-105 kit lens plus a good flash is more than enough for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D & etc.). For $300 budget you can get a Nisson flash or a 2nd hand Nikon SB800. Others are good to have as what you have is more than enough to cover most things. Just need practise and knowledge to handle flash and these events.

My main purpose is for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D stuff like tht) and i need quite a wide angle lens but not those super ex kind... so these few still fall within my budget range. (Just for info my setup now is D90 with 18-105 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 and 75-300mm) ......

quote]
Frankly, D90 with 18-105 kit lens plus a good flash is more than enough for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D & etc.). For $300 budget you can get a Nisson flash or a 2nd hand Nikon SB800. Others are good to have as what you have is more than enough to cover most things. Just need practise and knowledge to handle flash and these events.

Hi Fredericky, I already own a Nissin DI866 flash

IMHO, u r looking for a wide angle lens but yet those that u list out is narrower than your kit lens, so y dnt wanna stick with ur kit lens?

TS wants wide but fast lens... hehehe... in that case the 35 f/1.8 would be quite ideal.

Hi all, need help to decide which lens to get. I'm trying to decide between Tokina 24-40mm F2.8 or Nikon 35mm F1.8 or Nikon 28 - 80mm F/3.3-5.6G

My main purpose is for shooting events(ROMs, birthdays, D&D stuff like tht) and i need quite a wide angle lens but not those super ex kind... so these few still fall within my budget range. (Just for info my setup now is D90 with 18-105 kit lens, 50mm F1.8 and 75-300mm)

Also while i'm on the topic, has anyone used a tokina 28-210mm F/3.5-5.6 came across this lens but can hardly find any reviews on it. Hope you guys can enlighten me. Thanks in advance!

in my opinion
tokina 24-40 and 28-80 are redundant, f2.8 in that range is not that much big difference based on your setup coz rough equivalent range in your kit lens will have max aperture around 4-4.5 and "usually" for f2.8 lens, the sweet spot is around f4 (not so sure) which then is no different from your kit lens

also 35mm in DX cameras like d90 is actually not wide, it's a normal lens just like a 50mm is a normal lens for Full frames

for me wide angle primes (in 20-24mm range) with aperture f1.4 or f1.8 would make more difference based on your current setup and what you want

..I have a 18-105 which is my kit lens which if i use at 18mm is wide enough but somehow I find it too wide and i have to zoom in to achieve what i want I tried using the 24-40..

don't quite understand this, you mean to say you would prefer changing lens than just turning your kit ring?

Last edited:
u want fast, wide and nt so exp think Tammy 17-50mm F2.8 fits ur bill like most of the ppl here recom. :) Dun forget to add a quality flash to ur setup for events ~

Last edited:
Ts after reading them, i think what u need shld be a flash ba. since u are doing events, and shot i believe are more likely to be indoor shots. I believe ur kit lens have a very useful range already. Thats jus my take.

Hmmm i think i have a clearer picture already. Thanks for all the info guys. By the way, has anyone ever used Tokina 28-210mm before? Read somewhere that it's a bottom of the barrel lens made by Tokina. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.