Need help deciding between Canon S3 IS and Panasonic FZ-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagetsuki

Jun 15, 2005
east
minicloud.com
I've read the reviews for both cameras and they seem pretty good to me. Both cameras match up the number of megapixels although S3 has a lower max ISO of 800 while fz-7 can go up to ISO 1600.

I'm quite a noob in this field. I have NO budget for a dslr so I would like a proconsumer that allows me to have max control over the functions and settings. I'm also looking at the possibilities of optional accessories like tele-convertor and wide angle lens which I know are available. I'm crazy over fisheye lens and I'm also wondering if there're any third party fisheye lens for either of these cameras.

I also know that Panasonic's predecessors (fz-5,fz-20 &fz-30) has a problem with the high noise.

So which shld I go for? the Canon s3 or the Panasonic FZ-7? Lemme know ur views and ur reasons for that choice.

Thank you so much~! :lovegrin:

hmmm...

S3 IS got
. tilt & swivel LCD

FZ7 got
. smaller form factor

both cant attach filter directly so cant protect d lense, & tele-converter not a cheap add-on accesory. either 1 oso gd, depends on which set of features r ur piority/preferance. :)

sORe-EyEz said:
hmmm...

S3 IS got
. tilt & swivel LCD

FZ7 got
. smaller form factor

both cant attach filter directly so cant protect d lense, & tele-converter not a cheap add-on accesory. either 1 oso gd, depends on which set of features r ur piority/preferance. :)

I'd like a camera that does decent night photography~ of couse I'm not expecting superb results like god-ass expensive low-light lenses produce. I'm leaning towards the FZ-7 cos i just found out that it does haf a third party fisheye lens adapter (though expensive). My only concern is the noise. It's always the noise level for panasonics isn't it? :cry:

Kagetsuki said:
I'd like a camera that does decent night photography~ of couse I'm not expecting superb results like god-ass expensive low-light lenses produce. I'm leaning towards the FZ-7 cos i just found out that it does haf a third party fisheye lens adapter (though expensive). My only concern is the noise. It's always the noise level for panasonics isn't it? :cry:

i hav use FZ20 & i m not tt bother by noise under dark conditions. if use film cam its tripod + several sec of exposure, w/ FZ20 i did w/o tripod (but i did not telezoom al d way) & got decent night pics. i got no complaints. :)

if u really 1 noise free pics use tripod & low ISO. :embrass:

oh, i think d teleconverter not worth....

sORe-EyEz said:
i hav use FZ20 & i m not tt bother by noise under dark conditions. if use film cam its tripod + several sec of exposure, w/ FZ20 i did w/o tripod (but i did not telezoom al d way) & got decent night pics. i got no complaints. :)

if u really 1 noise free pics use tripod & low ISO. :embrass:

oh, i think d teleconverter not worth....

D:< ur language is really hard to understand~:sweat: but i think i've got the gitz of it~ :bsmilie:

For ur type of shots
s3 is more suitable

get the S3 IS, that's my personal choice if between S3 or FZ7

Kagetsuki said:
D:< ur language is really hard to understand~:sweat: but i think i've got the gitz of it~ :bsmilie:

:embrass:

Kagetsuki said:
I've read the reviews for both cameras and they seem pretty good to me. Both cameras match up the number of megapixels although S3 has a lower max ISO of 800 while fz-7 can go up to ISO 1600.

I'm quite a noob in this field. I have NO budget for a dslr so I would like a proconsumer that allows me to have max control over the functions and settings. I'm also looking at the possibilities of optional accessories like tele-convertor and wide angle lens which I know are available. I'm crazy over fisheye lens and I'm also wondering if there're any third party fisheye lens for either of these cameras.

I also know that Panasonic's predecessors (fz-5,fz-20 &fz-30) has a problem with the high noise.

So which shld I go for? the Canon s3 or the Panasonic FZ-7? Lemme know ur views and ur reasons for that choice.

Here is a side by side comparison of the main features of both cameras (Via DPreview). As you can see, both are quite similar. I prefer tilt/swivel LCDs, shooting from the hip gives a different view to your pictures. Also, the S3 has a really good movie mode, which lets you zoom during recording. I do not know the thread size of the Panny adapter (for adding tele/wide converters; fitlers etc). For the S3, you can get them from Canon (58mm) or 3rd party (58 & 52mm). I am using a 3rd party adapter for my S2, which is pratically the same camera as the S3IS. You can get fish eye lenses, but they are quite expensive, considering that you are just getting a few pieces of glass for the same price as a 50mm SLR prime. I am considering a wide converter, would cost about $150-200. I already have a macro lens, my Avatar was shot using it. :)

One complaint I have heard for the FZ7 is that the noise reduction is a bit aggressive, so you loose some details.

Go to a camera shop, pick up both cameras and play with them. Bring a SD card along with you, shoot a few pics with each one. Go home, have a look at the pictures. There is no perfect camera (How I wish for a hot shoe on the S2IS....). Its more of finding something that you are comfortable with & that you do not regret getting due to its shortfalls. I have been really happy with my S2. :D

ISO 800 and 1600 on the latest panasonics are a joke. Fz7 could be a bit faster in AF though.

I'll buy Canon S3IS over Panasonic Lumix FZ7. I'm sure the Canon can attach wide or tele lense thru lense adaptor that you will be able to screw on at the front.

Kagetsuki said:
o_O wad u mean by "my type of shots" ?
if u enjoy fashion/portraiture/still life/abstract types of shoot at different angle
the swivelable lcd of s3 is better in the sense that u won't had to contort yr body in a weird position to take those

Kagetsuki said:

Hi Kagetsuki, didn't expect to see you here. :)

Feel free to read up on the reviews of both cameras. In regards to the S3, I think the camera has not been out in the market yet right?

The FZ7, like the FZ5 before it, should be able to match all your needs. Megapixels will not be the issue here unless you wish to make prints larger than A4.

Unfortunately, if you are a pixel-peeper (a nickname I learnt from another forum to describe ppl who zoom their photos 100% and complain about noises) then you will find the FZ7 to be slightly, if not equally, as noisy as the FZ5. Even my own FZ30 has been described as having a high noise level as its Achilles heel.

But does it matter? On a prosumer level, I feel that the FZ7 will more than meet your needs. More importantly, the sharpness of the images is sharper and it may be part of your consideration! Colour-wise it will beat a lot of camera too, but then again this is highly subjective.

Cerberus -> I set my noise reduction to 'Low', it helps. And the FZ7 has no hot shoe for an external flash as well. :(

Kagetsuki said:

Hmm, you can view my albums if you like, and decide if the images are too noisy for you..

Although my images are rather amateur lar, dun mind :embrass:

Hexlord said:
<SNIP> On a prosumer level, I feel that the FZ7 </SNIP>
Both S3 & FZ7 are consumer cams ;) Hence no hot shoe. :(

Hexlord said:
Cerberus -> I set my noise reduction to 'Low', it helps. And the FZ7 has no hot shoe for an external flash as well. :(
Ahh... did not know that you can reduce the noise reduction. Yeah, I am going to get a slave flash, makes a big difference for macro work.

so additional (cons) stuff 2 consider when buying

S3
. extra $$ for converter (any1 kno how much? care 2 help?:dunno: )

FZ7
. no flip & swivel LCD (disadvantage 4 low angle shoots)

feel free 2 add on... :)

sORe-EyEz said:
so additional (cons) stuff 2 consider when buying

S3
. extra $$ for converter (any1 kno how much? care 2 help?:dunno: )

FZ7
. no flip & swivel LCD (disadvantage 4 low angle shoots)

feel free 2 add on... :)

Think you need an adaptor for the FZ7. Maybe Hexlord can confirm.
S3IS adapter from Lensmate should be Sgp$50. Metal, the finish is the same as the camera. Do not bother with the Canon adapter.

eow said:
if u enjoy fashion/portraiture/still life/abstract types of shoot at different angle
the swivelable lcd of s3 is better in the sense that u won't had to contort yr body in a weird position to take those

HAHHA~ but actually~ I DO enjoy lying on the floor and taking weird shots~ My PnS didn't allow me the luxury of not contorting my body in weird angles. XD

Hexlord said:
Hi Kagetsuki, didn't expect to see you here. :)

Feel free to read up on the reviews of both cameras. In regards to the S3, I think the camera has not been out in the market yet right?

The FZ7, like the FZ5 before it, should be able to match all your needs. Megapixels will not be the issue here unless you wish to make prints larger than A4.

Unfortunately, if you are a pixel-peeper (a nickname I learnt from another forum to describe ppl who zoom their photos 100% and complain about noises) then you will find the FZ7 to be slightly, if not equally, as noisy as the FZ5. Even my own FZ30 has been described as having a high noise level as its Achilles heel.

But does it matter? On a prosumer level, I feel that the FZ7 will more than meet your needs. More importantly, the sharpness of the images is sharper and it may be part of your consideration! Colour-wise it will beat a lot of camera too, but then again this is highly subjective.

I read like 3-4 reviews for each camera...(until i might be getting confused~) I'm leaning towards the fz7 cos it's also more lightweight than the S3. And also Leica lens appeals to me more.

I'm not sure which camera produces better colours. Or which camera wld pose more of a problem for me when looking for add-ons (lens adaptors,filters, blah blah...). This camera would be used for ALOT of purposes~ I might even wanna try out IR photography (dammit~ the colours are amazing on IR) Maybe u cld advice me on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.