Need help, complete noob needs to buy a cam for my daughter.

and i got my first camera with my life savings and my dad just bought me dry cabinet to store it ..

Last edited:
You are asking for a smack left right center? :bsmilie:
This is newbies corner, not Kopitiam. Be helpful.

Joking la.

TS, ask her what type of system she want n why. Then u let us know then we can propose lo.

Hi bro ,

For starters , TS = thread starter.

I won't go into camera recommendations here as the friends here will be most helpful but just 2 reminders

1. Do consider a dry cabinet for the camera to protect it from fungus etc. Storing the camera is an often forgotten important step to consider. A 30 liters should do.

2. When buying pre-owned, do get a friend along who knows how to check. Especially when u are new.

Canon 1200D cheap cam? Heck it can achieve almost everything as with a Canon 1D, nothing is cheap, perhaps the receiving end's mindset and skill is. I've seen people with L lenses and high end system taking photos with angles and standard of a compact! Just tell me what a 1200D is lacking to justify it's cheap and inadequate for your daughter

So i pretty much a complete noob in camera since the day i got my first digital camera. Well till now, i still using only my phone and a cheap sony camera to take picture (last night i found out that this camera is a type call compact).

actually last evening, my daughter, 15 this year, come up to me and asked if i can buy her a camera, since she started developing interest in photography( went for those 3 or days workshop, go out take some pictures and such). She is asking for a Canon EOS 1200D. she dont even know the price clearly, obviously thinking that i should give up one month saving because she done well in exam. Anyway, i didnt agree. i try looking online and in the forum, realised it can cost anywhere between 600-800, depending on the lens.

Anyway, as i know peanuts about camera, i tried to do some search online. I do know that it is a DSLR, entry level, and consider cheap among DSLR. Further digging pop up 2 terms that seems to be hybirds and crossbreeds of DSLR and compact:
CSC, to me its something like a compact with extra lens
Bridge, to me its something like a smaller DSLR without extra lens
i seriously dont know how true is my understanding, but generally, except on rare case, DSLR>> hybirds>>compact

The thing about my daughter is, i know her characteristics. she started an online shop and closed it 6 months after that. she tried to join me for mountaineering but gave up after 4 hikes. she also learned ballet and played badminton for her primary school, but she isnt doing any of them anymore.

so i wonder if it is even worth buying her an 800 dollars camera just for her to play for 6 months. the design of CSC seems to caught me because it seems possible for ordinary usage.

so any recommendation?

Get 2nd hand for her, whatever model it is

For a beginner like myself, entry level DSLR like 1100D(which i am using) is good enough.

can check marketplace got several good deals on second hand entry level dslr like 5xxD or 6XXD series with lens going for about 500-600 which seems pretty decent.

just my 2 cents sharing. :)