Need Help: Canon S5is Vs Fuji FinePix S1000fd vs Sony DSC-H50/B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybaokong

Jan 10, 2007
hi all,

need some reviews on the above cameras.. now comtemplating which one to get...

already own a pns Canon Ixus 850is, so trying to get a prosumer to try one..

appreciate if reviews can be provided to assist me in making a decision.

thanks all in advance
JC

i will chose fuji because of the superccd

but canon has got hotshoe function for S5is....

hmm.. dont think so at the moment.. want to have a try of prosumer first before "upgrading" to dslr...

thanks.

hmm...not even sure whether am i ready to take on dslr..so decided to try prosumer first.. dont want to waste money first... cos sometimes, when i go on tour, i would want to travel light or will just use the features in the camera at times... cos depending on the mood..

The fuji is probably the cheapest, but this model probably does not have superccd and there is no optical image stabilization. Between Sony and Canon, the latter is probably a safer bet ;)

The fuji is probably the cheapest, but this model probably does not have superccd and there is no optical image stabilization. Between Sony and Canon, the latter is probably a safer bet ;)

hi,

i find canon very user friendly and so far been a supporter of it.. was thinking of giving some other brands a try to see how it works.. at the same time, fujiS1000fd has got the feature: PS(Picture Stabilization) Mode, is i different from optical image stabilization?

Pai seh , if my question sounds stupid..cos not too sure whether are they the same..

thanks.

hi,

i find canon very user friendly and so far been a supporter of it.. was thinking of giving some other brands a try to see how it works.. at the same time, fujiS1000fd has got the feature: PS(Picture Stabilization) Mode, is i different from optical image stabilization?

Pai seh , if my question sounds stupid..cos not too sure whether are they the same..

thanks.

Picture stabilization is actually a gimmick - the camera just increase the ISO for you to reduce the shutter speed. The image can be grainy or suffers from loss of details if the ISO is too high - that's the price to pay. So look for cam with "optical" stabilization instead. Some Fuji models do have both, and they call it "dual stabilization".

Fuji's strength is in their pricing and superccd technology - the latter gives low noise at high ISO, as well as vibrant colours even without PS. Unfortunately, superccd is only implemented in their recent 2 models - S100FS and F100fd. The model more comparable with Canon S5IS is S8100, which has dual image stabilization but not superccd. The 27mm wide angle will be very useful, but the ambitious 18x zoom lens might compromise the image quality.

For a start, you can refer to the websites below for reviews, then head down to the recommended shops to try them out:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/digital_camera_and_lens_reviews.shtml
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

super ccd already appeared in some of their old models like F10/F11/F30/F31 fd/S6500 fd.

look for the lowest mp count in pro-consumer if you wanna keep the image/shadow noise down, 6 or 7 meg would be a good choice for starters but would need some luck to be able to find if no choice is 8 meg already.

good lens quality would be sony or panasonic.
best iso performance would be fuji, follow by sony or canon.
panasonic have the worst noise performance.

you can go dcresource.com to pixel peep the various iso noise issues.

Since you will upgrade to DSLR so better get some thing small and can be your back up so camera must be small and nice to hold.

Why not try SONY H3 or H10? young brother of H50.
It is unique, cute and small.
It is using super HAD CCD BIONZ engine :thumbsup:
Up to ISO3200

Do you know that:
1) 60% of digicam worldwide are using Sony manufactured CCDs, so this
has made SONY the number one CCD manufacturer in the digital still camera market.
2) Singapore no.1 Digital still camera brand (Gfk, sale from July to Dec 2007)

Go to Sony galery to play or go to BEST Denki to compare with other camera.
Print it out with the same printer.

Sorry but I beg to defer. The S100FS has the 2/3 - inch Super CCD HR. For IS, theirs is the Lens-shift type.
The LCD is tiltable:
Fuji_S100fs_screen-001.jpg

Fuji is also known for its very vibrant colours. I used to own the S6500FD before switching to the Pentax K10D.

Review of the S100FS
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

Sorry but I beg to defer. The S100FS has the 2/3 - inch Super CCD HR. For IS, theirs is the Lens-shift type.

Fuji is also known for its very vibrant colours. I used to own the S6500FD before switching to the Pentax K10D.

Review of the S100FS
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms100fs/

Hey bro you misunderstood lah - TS asked about S1000 not S100. The latter is definitely a winner in all aspects but comes with a hefty price tag...

Picture stabilization is actually a gimmick - the camera just increase the ISO for you to reduce the shutter speed. The image can be grainy or suffers from loss of details if the ISO is too high - that's the price to pay. So look for cam with "optical" stabilization instead. Some Fuji models do have both, and they call it "dual stabilization".

Fuji's strength is in their pricing and superccd technology - the latter gives low noise at high ISO, as well as vibrant colours even without PS. Unfortunately, superccd is only implemented in their recent 2 models - S100FS and F100fd. The model more comparable with Canon S5IS is S8100, which has dual image stabilization but not superccd. The 27mm wide angle will be very useful, but the ambitious 18x zoom lens might compromise the image quality.

For a start, you can refer to the websites below for reviews, then head down to the recommended shops to try them out:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/digital_camera_and_lens_reviews.shtml
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

yup..did look at S8100fd... was thinking that it has my "wish-to-have" wide lens.. the next wide lens prosumer for fuji will be s100FS... so far any complains of S8100FD?

i think go with the s1000fs. you won't regret, i was previously using the 6500fd, awesome cam!

yup,,me still comtemplating..cos already own a canon.. and was thinking of trying out either fuji or sony...

and Canon S5is is also 8mp which is the same as my current IXUS 850is, the difference is some features..

tough choice...:think:

hii..hii..hii..
No need to think so hard otherwise will affect your sleeping time. :nono:

Better don't stick to one brand (usually Canon or Nikon are more popular in Spore).
I was a Canon user and now playing around with my Sony...

Byee.. byee.. Canon :sticktong

Hey bro you misunderstood lah - TS asked about S1000 not S100. The latter is definitely a winner in all aspects but comes with a hefty price tag...

Haha :D Must be my old eyes. shoot bird liaos. Getting old
Between the S1000 and the S5IS, better to go for the S5 IS. I have also used the S2IS before and I can say it is a great cam although the wide is not wide at 36mm. That was the reason I changed to the Fuji S6500FD.

Status
Not open for further replies.