Need help: Am-Pro Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy

Jul 28, 2002
Under the sea...
Hi all,

I have some enquiries regarding the dry cabinet, and would need some help with it…

I’ve just bought the Am-pro 40L dry cabinet last evening, and set H for a few hours before switching it between H & M indicator…

Left it and went to sleep and find it below 30% this morning, with the red light OFF (seems normal? as read from the only 2 sheets of ‘manual’).

1) I was wondering, does placing the dry cabinet near the aircon and window be inappropriate?
(As I can’t find other space with the electricity socket to place it already.)

2) Issit necessary to get a digital hygrometer? Else borrow from friend to set the correct humidity?
As read from some threads, I could get one from SLT. Does anybody have any idea what time the shops close?

I think that’s all the questions for now, heh!
Thanks in advance for any kind assistance.

:) :)

Originally posted by Lindy
Left it and went to sleep and find it below 30% this morning, with the red light OFF (seems normal? as read from the only 2 sheets of ‘manual’).

1) I was wondering, does placing the dry cabinet near the aircon and window be inappropriate?
(As I can’t find other space with the electricity socket to place it already.)

2) Issit necessary to get a digital hygrometer? Else borrow from friend to set the correct humidity?
As read from some threads, I could get one from SLT. Does anybody have any idea what time the shops close?

I think that’s all the questions for now, heh!
Thanks in advance for any kind assistance.

:) :)

Try not to place the cabinet near window that will get direct sunlight. It will increase the temperature of the content inside. Placing it near air-con should be ok.

If possible try to borrow or buy a digital or analog one from SLT. The one that came with the cheaper dry bain may not be correctly calibrated. You just need it to confirm that the hydrometer that came with the cabin is calibrated. They are not open on sunday. Closing time is abt 6pm or so.

P.s. 30% seem a bit too low. It may be too dry, causing teh lubricant of the lens to dry up. Try increasing it to 45-55%

You need to on the cabin w/o putting anything inside. Let the humility stablise for abt half a day.

Originally posted by binbeto

Try not to place the cabinet near window that will get direct sunlight. It will increase the temperature of the content inside. Placing it near air-con should be ok.

If possible try to borrow or buy a digital or analog one from SLT. The one that came with the cheaper dry bain may not be correctly calibrated. You just need it to confirm that the hydrometer that came with the cabin is calibrated. They are not open on sunday. Closing time is abt 6pm or so.

P.s. 30% seem a bit too low. It may be too dry, causing teh lubricant of the lens to dry up. Try increasing it to 45-55%

You need to on the cabin w/o putting anything inside. Let the humility stablise for abt half a day.

Erh...the windows are seldom open, else always with curtains drawn...Think it should be alright?

Yupz nothing is inside the dry cab., this morning the readings were below 30% and below 20 degrees...

the temperature...should be okie?? if aircon is on?

I oso jusst got 1 AM pro too.

Mine oso alway fall on 30%.

But the manual say it shd be this way if i not wrong.

I oso not very sure.

at 30%, all rubber parts will dried up and crack, negative and positive will curled up seriously. slowly increase your humidity. it took me quite some time for me to tune my [dry-cabi] up to 45%.

Same here. I place my dail at "M", and it goes to 30.
Have to set it a little towards left, meaning set it slightly higher, dat should hit around 40-45.
But needs a little fine adjustment though. I have yet to find the rite spot.

Originally posted by markccm
Same here. I place my dail at "M", and it goes to 30.
Have to set it a little towards left, meaning set it slightly higher, dat should hit around 40-45.
But needs a little fine adjustment though. I have yet to find the rite spot.

Just called home..lol my dad says its at 20% now...
*pengz*

But when i open to take something and close again, it will go to 40 plus and something even 60 plus after i close it.

of course, when open, water gets in. My shoots up to 70% when open. it will take some time again for the dry cabin to start working. just be patient, its normal.

maybe because it's empty. my humidity level remains at 45-55% after it is fully filled, even when set to 'high'.

i'm also using Am Pro, the 50litre one. the analog hygrometre now read 45 whereas the digital one i bought from Sim Lim Tower @ $20 read 23. I've noticed the different in reading since day one.

Initially, I sticked to the digital reading but later realised my lenses developed fungus, thought not sure if they developed before i've changed to electric dry cabinet(from normal air tight box).

Now, I stick to analog reading(the one with higher reading) just in case. As feel that it's better to get gease harden than get fungus. btw, would like to know if gease harden, will it back to normal if leave outside for a while.

Originally posted by ITD
i'm also using Am Pro, the 50litre one. the analog hygrometre now read 45 whereas the digital one i bought from Sim Lim Tower @ $20 read 23. I've noticed the different in reading since day one.

Initially, I sticked to the digital reading but later realised my lenses developed fungus, thought not sure if they developed before i've changed to electric dry cabinet(from normal air tight box).

Now, I stick to analog reading(the one with higher reading) just in case. As feel that it's better to get gease harden than get fungus. btw, would like to know if gease harden, will it back to normal if leave outside for a while.

I would believe the digital one is more accurate, and the fungus on your lenses are, as you said, developed before you switched to the Am Pro (well, the digital ones are at least calibrated when they leave the factory, where as the analog ones in the dry cabinets, I have heard one too many stories that they are not calibrated properly, including those in my dry cabinets) . The grease once dried up, will not return to normal and you need to bring it to a shop to have them lubricated.

I am using the am-pro 40L too. I found that (after many days of tries) the switch has to be pointing at ard 8-9 o'clock ie beyond H for the RH to fall btw 45-55%.

I've got my 717, metz flash, wide angle, a couple of filters in the cabinet and a pack of photopaper fyi.

I am its damm frustrating to get the right RH, but once its stabilises at 45-55%, you can sit back and relax ;)

Hope this helps

I am thinking to buy the AM-Pro But if the Am-Pro having such a confused setting and reading in the hygrometre. What good brand of cabinet to buy now? Thank you.

glad i bought my expensive dry cabi. very reliable.

its call "Dry Cabi" lah. made in japan.

feel that beside the hygrometer issue, Am Pro is a cheap & decent dry cabinet. the dehumidifier work well as can see the humidity level go back(lower) quite fast after i've open and close it. just have to get the initial setting right.

Originally posted by Goldmember
its call "Dry Cabi" lah. made in japan.

Appreciate where you bought it from and how much? Thank you.

about 750. bought at john 3:16 at funan center. used for 2 years already without any maintenence or tweaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.