Need help about taking outdoor shoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysouke

Apr 25, 2009
Hi All,

Pls kindly see the link for the picture...and this person using nikon 50d and nikon 85mm f1.4 to take this picture...under the sunlight exposure it seems that this is pretty well taken...and i have tried to take under outdoor light expsosure too but my picture seem like very blur...there need some advise ...

http://album.blog.yam.com/show.php?a=vivianlu8&f=6741102&i=11152012&p=5

and below is the picture i have taken...and pls advise what wrong..it seem really bad..and blur..

http://album.blog.yam.com/show.php?a=rysouke80&f=6853359&i=11587685&p=23

simple. the focus is wrong. you focused on the hand instead of the character's eyes. in doing so, you might get a blur hand, thats when you have to decrease your aperture to get a wider DOF.

simple. the focus is wrong. you focused on the hand instead of the character's eyes. in doing so, you might get a blur hand, thats when you have to decrease your aperture to get a wider DOF.

erm..i am using manual focus selection pt...and i set the point at the face...and not the hand..so mean i have increase the f stop??

erm..i am using manual focus selection pt...and i set the point at the face...and not the hand..so mean i have increase the f stop??

seem dat ur aim is salah lor..:think:

best use a tripod to go along wif it...:)

For this kind of small things, best is always use Manual focus, because the camera AF will be tricked at short distances, and low DOF. Also, traditionally people focus on the eyes, cos thats the first place you look when you see a face. Hope this helps.

If indeed you have used a single AF point positioned at the face then either the focus got distracted by something else (keep in mind the sensor is bigger than the point marking in your viewfinder) or you have shifted the camera after focusing (called Focus & Recompose).
In addition your Depth of Field appears very thin. Read more: Understanding Depth of Field - including calculator.

I can't see your pic. :dunno:

I can see the first one though and the subject looks pretty big (and it's obviously not moving...).

I can't see your pic. :dunno:

I can see the first one though and the subject looks pretty big (and it's obviously not moving...).

Ok...cause that pciture i have removed...i have re-taken some pictures again...actually the subject is the same size as mine...and actually is not really big...
these pictures are using 50mm f1.4...
http://album.blog.yam.com/rysouke80&folder=6886397

I will put some pictures that using 24mm-70mm f2.8...and notice some of those pictures seem abit blur too...something wrong with the focus...but i did focus on the face..

pls advise....

Last edited:
As I have mentioned in the other thread, I have no experience with Sigma lenses. I suspect that the quality of these lenses aren't very consistent though. You may want to check with Sigma.

However, the pics look ok-sharp. You can try a high pass filter in photoshop or any pp program you use to make the edges look sharper.

I saw that you shot at 52mm at f/4 on one of the shots. You were also using flash. The flash in this case is not helping you to isolate your subject from the messy background. To make the subject sharper, you should stop down (ie. use a bigger f number).

Try this:
1: change your metering to centre-weighted.
2: stop down lens to f/8
3: set your flash to high-sync ittl (ettl for canon?) mode
4: change your camera mode to manual
5: try 1/500s for your aperture speed

play around with the settings and see if you can get something you like more.

As I have mentioned in the other thread, I have no experience with Sigma lenses. I suspect that the quality of these lenses aren't very consistent though. You may want to check with Sigma.

However, the pics look ok-sharp. You can try a high pass filter in photoshop or any pp program you use to make the edges look sharper.

I saw that you shot at 52mm at f/4 on one of the shots. You were also using flash. The flash in this case is not helping you to isolate your subject from the messy background. To make the subject sharper, you should stop down (ie. use a bigger f number).

Try this:
1: change your metering to centre-weighted.
2: stop down lens to f/8
4: change your camera mode to manual
5: try 1/500s for your aperture speed

play around with the settings and see if you can get something you like more.

ya...i did play around the setting...it seem like the f stop higher give a sharper image...and i just use the normal bulit in flash and set it down to -2 as i just wanted to catch its eyes...
and with flash on...i cant make the shutter speed to 1/500s...the max is 1/200s...

when using 24-70mm at f 2.8...the pictures really blur however when i increase the f stop to f4...it improve better...

as for flash mode...is e-ttl II...and the shutter can set 1st curtain and 2nd curtain and the e-ttl II can change to evalutaive and average mode...

Find "high-sync" or "flash-sync" speed or something in your camera's manual. Can't help you there as I'm not familiar with Canon. You should be able to use any shutter speed you want with your flash if you set it right.

Find "high-sync" or "flash-sync" speed or something in your camera's manual. Can't help you there as I'm not familiar with Canon. You should be able to use any shutter speed you want with your flash if you set it right.

ok..i am using canon 500d ... and i did try to find the setting in the menu but the setting seem limited...i will try to check the manual again...

and how did u know one of the shots is taken at 52mm at f4??

and how did u know one of the shots is taken at 52mm at f4??

EXIF data. Ask Google and get tons of information. In a nutshell: your camera writes a lot of parameters about your camera settings (and others) into the image file.

Status
Not open for further replies.