Need Help... 1st time Filipino traveling overseas...

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
A question for our Filipino members in ClubSNAP (and I know we have plenty)... ;)

My GF is coming to Singapore in Sept to meet my family. It will be her 1st time traveling overseas. I've already got her an invitation letter with all my details... she has a letter of employment from her employer... we have 2 way air ticket from Manila to SG and back... but....

Recently... I heard that ALL 1st time Filipino traveler are required to paid a 6000 peso 'Tax' to travel out of the country... even for only a short holiday. This 6000 peso is not part of the airport tax (550-750 peso) but some form of travel tax. The source for this information is from my Sister, who's company had a Filipino staff from Manila traveling to SG for training... it was the staff 1st time overseas... and had no money to pay the 6000 peso tax and missed the flight....

I've tried looking for answer in goole and even the Phillippines Embassy website... but everything points to Airport Tax and nothing about 1st time traveler tax. Do anyone knows the answer ?? Need to know is this true... as I have to make sure she has enough money on her to get her pass immigration at Manila airport. :sweat:

Thxs :bsmilie:

I have not heard about the 6000 pesos until now. What I know is that there are two taxes to pay: 1) airport tax (around 700 pesos) and 2) travel tax (1620 pesos).

Is she going to work in Singapore? If yes, she needs to go to the OFW desk in the airport.

Other than that, I know only of the airport terminal fees. I think as a filipina she will need to pay the travel tax too.

But a 6000 peso "first time travel fee"?? sounds like someone is trying to rip her off and feed off her gullibility. She probably told someone she has a Singaporean boyfriend and so they're trying to milk her for money.

diver-hloc said:
A question for our Filipino members in ClubSNAP (and I know we have plenty)... ;)

My GF is coming to Singapore in Sept to meet my family. It will be her 1st time traveling overseas. I've already got her an invitation letter with all my details... she has a letter of employment from her employer... we have 2 way air ticket from Manila to SG and back... but....

Recently... I heard that ALL 1st time Filipino traveler are required to paid a 6000 peso 'Tax' to travel out of the country... even for only a short holiday. This 6000 peso is not part of the airport tax (550-750 peso) but some form of travel tax. The source for this information is from my Sister, who's company had a Filipino staff from Manila traveling to SG for training... it was the staff 1st time overseas... and had no money to pay the 6000 peso tax and missed the flight....

I've tried looking for answer in goole and even the Phillippines Embassy website... but everything points to Airport Tax and nothing about 1st time traveler tax. Do anyone knows the answer ?? Need to know is this true... as I have to make sure she has enough money on her to get her pass immigration at Manila airport. :sweat:

Thxs :bsmilie:

2 parties you can ask

1. Philippines embassy
2. Filipino maid agents

I have not heard about the 6000 pesos until now. What I know is that there are two taxes to pay: 1) airport tax (around 700 pesos) and 2) travel tax (1620 pesos).

Ok... that 750 airport I know... Maybe its 1620 but somehow my Sis remember it as 6000... :think: :sweat:

Is she going to work in Singapore? If yes, she needs to go to the OFW desk in the airport.

Other than that, I know only of the airport terminal fees. I think as a filipina she will need to pay the travel tax too.

But a 6000 peso "first time travel fee"?? sounds like someone is trying to rip her off and feed off her gullibility. She probably told someone she has a Singaporean boyfriend and so they're trying to milk her for money.

No... she's coming for a visit. Short holiday + meet my family... the 6000 peso was told to me by my Sister... and I worry about the same thing too... a bloody rip off. My GF Boss also advice her to said I'm only a friend... so that the immigrantion don't think she's being looked after by 'Rich Singaporean' and ask for a bribe... :sweat:

your gf does not have any friends who have been to overseas holiday?

No... she and her co-workers could barely support their families back in the kampong... how many could afford to travel overseas for holidays... LOL :bsmilie:

Based from what I know, she only needs to pay 750 peso airport tax and 1620 peso travel tax. Make sure that she does not show the IPA to the IO of Philippines'

diver-hloc said:
Ok... that 750 airport I know... Maybe its 1620 but somehow my Sis remember it as 6000... :think: :sweat:

No... she's coming for a visit. Short holiday + meet my family... the 6000 peso was told to me by my Sister... and I worry about the same thing too... a bloody rip off. My GF Boss also advice her to said I'm only a friend... so that the immigrantion don't think she's being looked after by 'Rich Singaporean' and ask for a bribe... :sweat:

Yeah.... there's no such thing as this first-time travel fee. Your sister should write to Tulfo over at inquirer.net - he's good at making a big fuss

Based from what I know, she only needs to pay 750 peso airport tax and 1620 peso travel tax. Make sure that she does not show the IPA to the IO of Philippines

Hi.... what is IPA ?? :think:

diver-hloc said:
Hi.... what is IPA ?? :think:

Indian Pale Ale. delicious beer. ;-)

I haven't heard of first time traveller fee.
But sometimes they will ask for "show money". It's their way of screening those who wanted to work and the real tourist. It may not be effective but this is how they do it.
She can also use credit card as "show money"
If they demand for any payment, ask for receipt.
No receipt, no money

I haven't heard of first time traveller fee.
But sometimes they will ask for "show money". It's their way of screening those who wanted to work and the real tourist. It may not be effective but this is how they do it.
She can also use credit card as "show money"
If they demand for any payment, ask for receipt.
No receipt, no money

and make sure she keeps asking for their name, rank, etc if they are asking for money and writes it down. You'd be amazed how often such fees "disappear" when the victim seems smart.

Thxs everyone... turn out its my sister that has a memory problem... yeah, she mispoken... NOW she remembers that's its 1600++...

Thxs everyone for your answers...

You need IPA if one will be working in SG. For TS' gf case, it's completely irrelevant since she'll be coming over for holidays only :)

Last edited: