Not open for further replies.

KCYong

Jun 18, 2008
Singapore
Halo I'm KC, 19 year-old Malaysian
Now working as a piano apprentice and study part-time in PSB Academy~
Since I've got my Nikon D60 with 18-55 lens
I start learning those tecnics and feedbacks from pro through CS
I've also been shooting outdoor quite often as I can arrange my schedule to do so~

My question is...
Should I need to attend workshops and befriend with experiencer to enter photography industry?
Thinking that once I start to know the photography basic skills in future,
What I can do for photo' works without any LOBANG ~~if only me~~~wondering

Hope can do a part-time assitant 1st and join some outing like all u say
right?
Anyone can guide me?

PS: I'm a chinese educational people and passion in learning english~希望当我不知道怎么用英文表达时,能用些简单的华文来补助~Beg ur pardon for my poor english~

Sincerely~
Thanks a lot! ^^

w0gwp.jpg

Slow shutter blur due to my hand shake for not getting a tripod yet

kbytqb.jpg

24awh6u.jpg

aontr9.jpg

This is some pictures i taken~Totally newbie that trying the skills~haha

Last edited:
At least I managed to make out that the road shown is Jalan Sultan Ismail in KL.
hehehe. Yes but it's WAYYY too blur.

You want to start a career in photography?
Well, brush up your skills first by joining photography outings.

I guess you have to be 'connected' to people in the business to get your foot in the door. I'm just a hobbyist, so I can't help you there. Sorry! ;)

Last edited:
TS.... go to the 'Gathering & Outing' section in ClubSNAP., and join outing that you could attend. Go shoot and learn from everyone and shoot as often as you can.... Goodluck :thumbsup:

Appeciate that u all r so friendly xD

As a hobby , i also hope can recognise some photography friends as well~It is really interesting~

My gear is only --

D60 , 18-55mm lens , UV filter......nth alr~
dont know what to buy~~~
Can join outings with such basic equiqment only?

As a hobby , i also hope can recognise some photography friends as well~It is really interesting~

My gear is only --

dont know what to buy~~~

Can !! Most of the outing I attended.... even got people using PnS only. No one really cares what gears you have or don't have (of course if you have some special gears.... you be the centre of attention quite awhile :bigeyes:) as long as you are willing to go and try.

Just ask at the thread of the outing - Do they welcome newcomer ?? - and wait for reply. :thumbsup:

My gear is only --

dont know what to buy~~~

Hola Amigo! Welcome to CS! ;)

一步一步来....

急不来的....

记得:

多看
多摄
多上载

Found out that some outing they having macro shoots~~
Isn't very unsuitable for me to go without a marco lens? ==

Or i should take some normal outings as well~ha
Ur opinion is really useful^^thanks

For Macro outing.... yeah, best to have macro lens.... join other 'Normal' outing till you are sure you are interested in Macro photography.

No fear..... there are new outing almost every weekend :bsmilie:

best to hav a marco lens if u wanna join them for marco shooting else u be having a tough time shooting the subj...

do join those normal outing...well, u also can take the lead and organise for SSS mah...:)

diver-hloc : OK thanks bro~so looking forward to meeting u in outings^^

jlkk76 : SSS ? haha what is that haha~

Last edited:
SSS = Shoot shoot shoot! :bsmilie:

u see here lah..

Dude dun scared this scared this, gan gan go and join whatever outing you want!!! D60 with kit lens only no problem man!

Read the descriptions of the outings. Usually they will announce any special discipline they follow, like night, macro, birding, sunset/sunrise or so. Read and ask. Your kit lens can do a lot, don't you worry about that. First thing is to brush up your skills. You can join outings but you can also join courses. Courses might be a bit more structured than outing and it will cost some money. Trial and error without fundamentals can be very time consuming. Up to you :)

Hi!

Do not worry too much about your gear. IMHO train your eye by getting (not browsing or just flicking thru) photographic, landscape, architecture, fashion magazines. See the themes and conduct your own experiments and see whether you can more or less replicate the result.

Google for photography tips and tricks, join..not flame discussion forum, participate in user challenge like the ones they have at dpreview..things like that. I myself may not do what I preach, but i do try my best.

Study the rules of photography (which sometimes can be broken). Like the one third rule. Eye focus, scanning the pix before pressing the shutter, making sure no poles sticking over people's heads etc.

Sometimes I feel the pressure of getting the best camera and lens and ended up frustrated. Many pros said to me, don't blame the gear...

So now, even using my old trusty (read rusty) 20D and its 18-55, I managed to cover weddings and even sold panoramic pictures, just because of the picture, nicely framed, in focus (and sometimes not), excellent color and lucky for me...timing for the nice light.

I myself looking forward to enhance my photographic skill but most importantly for me, meeting people of the same passion. We might have the same model, but our way of taking their photos will be more of less different.

Thats my 'devalued 2 cents'.

in my opinion,
Search and read the forum. Learn some basic. This is the theory part
Join outing, shoot more, this is the practical part (practice what you learn in forum)
Before practice, make sure you know how to handle your camera properly. D60 is a fairly good camera, better then all PnS.

Post picture in the forum, ask for comment, prepare to accept some of the 'marginally harsh' comment (良药苦口)
From the comment, learn, improve and go back to shoot.

everyone has their own learning style.

most of what i know from photography is a mix - the basics and technicalities were all gleaned from books, internet, self-experimentation. to be honest, without the last, and a lot of bad pictures, it is harder to understand, so you have to shoot and try to see what the books write, since that is really just paper, and you won't internalise it until you use it.

some people prefer group outings, i tend to like to avoid those, since if people know you , they will try to be nicer, and they will not give you brutal, hard comments. better to just post nonsense online here, people who don't know you might actually give you harsher critique.. of course not all comments here are going to be the best, so take everything with a pinch of salt.

so keep shooting, think while shooting, don't be afraid to try, and don't be afraid to find out that your pictures are not up to par. have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.