Need free webspace to launch new personal website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kytus

Apr 15, 2004
San Deigo
I've used up my 10mb personal webspace that was given to me by earthlink.
10mb should be enough thought I now own a canon digital rebel and I dont want ot compress my image because it would be pointless to shoot in 6 megapixels if no one can see the detail. I use microsoft frontpage to build my website though it isnt as exciting as dreamweaver it's alot less complicated. I would like know if there is anywhere I can some person webspace for free to launch my site and start posting picture again. If there isn't just tell of somewhere I can store my picture online.

Thanks

Kytus said:
10mb should be enough thought I now own a canon digital rebel and I dont want ot compress my image because it would be pointless to shoot in 6 megapixels if no one can see the detail. I use microsoft frontpage to build my website though it isnt as exciting as dreamweaver it's alot less complicated. I would like know if there is anywhere I can some person webspace for free to launch my site and start posting picture again. If there isn't just tell of somewhere I can store my picture online.

Thanks

its hard to find free hosting now
most are fill with ad popup or limited bandwidth
if you want a cheap hosting i found that www.canaca.com is quite cheap but never try to use before not sure if it is good

btw i usually compress my 4MP photo into 1024x768 for online album
for website or online album i dun think putting up a 3xxx X 2xxx resolution photo for ppl to see is a good idea ....

Kytus said:

Thanks

Host with ClubSNAP! Support ClubSNAP! Be one of the contributing members of ClubSNAP!

We have now added a VALUE plan for members who don't need the extra frills but just need the storage space.

Value Plan
50MB webspace
Pre-installed Photo Gallery
$36 per year, payable upon sign-up.

Basic Plan
100MB webspace
10MB POP email
200 Private Messages limit
$60 per year, payable upon sign-up.

Premium Plan
200MB webspace
20MB POP email
300 Private Messages limit
$100 per year, payable upon sign-up.

To sign up for the VALUE PLAN, click HERE!!

To sign up for the BASIC PLAN, click HERE!!

To sign up for the PREMIUM PLAN, click HERE!!

Kytus said:

Thanks

U can try www.fotopic.net, 250MB to hold ur photos, u get a unique URL (my example : http://roychua.fotopic.net/) and most important, its free.

Kytus, from my personal viewpoint, no one with the right frame of mind will want to look at a website with a unresized 6 megapixel camera. Why? Ask yourself these questions:

1. Do people have monitors of 50 inches diagonal sizing, with resolution 4000++ x 3000++? This is in respect to the Digital Rebel's pictures of 3072x2048 (I own a 10D, same pixel sizing)

2. Have you seen people reading newspapers that measure 6 feet wide and 8 feet tall for one page before? That's because most newspapers use at least 3 megapixel digital SLRs.

I'm not asking silly questions, but asking you to find out if it's feasible or not. Any website service provider will balk at the unnecessary bandwidth you're taking up on their charge, to load ONE photo of yours. Bandwidth IS money to them after all, regardless whether you pay for the hosting or not.

I understand what you saying though I never contemplated uploading a photo that was 3000x2000 or something like that. What I wanted was to retain image quality within 5x7 or 4x6 images which is a standard photo size in photography. Even at a resolution of 1024x768 the file size will be greater then half a megabyte. This would not be an issue if I only had dozen photos, though realistically none has that few. Compressing the image will greatly reduce the image quality.

Kytus, resizing down to 1024x768 will be fine on-screen, assuming you do a resize, plus a basic unsharp mask workflow. in a similar way, i doubt most people receiving prints will scrutinize them using a loupe. all of my photos online are already resized down, mostly below 100 kilobyte, but they still look fine on-screen.

My thoughts on this topic:
* Why to upload images bigger than the maximum resolution of the display device?
* When viewing on screen, if using low compression (ie. max quality), it would be neary impossible to spot the difference between compressed JPG and uncompressed TIFF / BMP. Even at higher compression levels, you still can't always spot the difference (or it's immaterial to the overall impact of your photo). It's a waste of disk space (and bandwidth) uploading uncompressed images (not to mention increased download times of your website when people try to access it).
* One reason for having 6 (or more) mp cameras is to make larger prints of our photos. If the only thing you are ever going to do with your photos is display on a website, then yes you don't need 6mp (although there are other benefits from more mp - eg. ability to crop and increased sharpness from downsizing an image).
* My web host gives me 1000mb for $USD48 per year. That's only $USD4 per month. Domain registration costs $USD15 per year. I think this is pretty reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.