need feedback on home av system

Status
Not open for further replies.

GitS

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
hi all, need some feedback on wat is ur home av setup....my ideal would be a dsp processor with a rack of monoblocks buts thats gotta wait for my 200 1.8 to be added to my drybox first....hehehehe in the unforseeable future unfortunately.....i believe the current 7.1 systems now have full size speakers for the surround channels too?

I just got my new house and is planning to get a hts as well. Will be buying in December though as i have ran out of money. I have heard great reviews about Panasonic XR-25 Digital Amplifier. You can hook up the speakers into it.

GitS said:
hi all, need some feedback on wat is ur home av setup....my ideal would be a dsp processor with a rack of monoblocks buts thats gotta wait for my 200 1.8 to be added to my drybox first....hehehehe in the unforseeable future unfortunately.....i believe the current 7.1 systems now have full size speakers for the surround channels too?

u asking about pre/power amp on a photo website. dun think u gonna get a lot of response here...

www.echoloft.com &
www.extremeplace.com

are great place for local AV & hifi enthusiasm.

Bernard, better bring ur own disc (CDs + DVDs) that u r faimilar to audit yourself rather than reading from review. Especially music, each individual has it own taste. That's the common mistake most beginner made. Don't rely on magazine (I used to own lot of What's Hifi magazine), trust ur own ears.

hi all,

I would also like to get a pair of stereo speaker with an amp (for input and audio processing), anyone can give some recommandation, or which shop to visit?

budget not more than 4 digit... is it possible to hunt for one? ;p

Thanks for advises.

Woah ....

So what amps are you looking at?

You have Rotel and NAD that offers multi channel monoblocks in 1 unit... Marantz has a model that has it .. not sure its still being manufactured...

Speakers wise ... go for Definitive Technology or Klipsch ... if you have the budget - M&K (Miller & Kriesel)..

Preamp-Processor go for either Yamaha (top of the line) or Lexicon (Check out Ong AV)...

ST_sg said:
hi all,

I would also like to get a pair of stereo speaker with an amp (for input and audio processing), anyone can give some recommandation, or which shop to visit?

Thanks for advises.

Depends on what you're looking at - neutral sounding or slightly tainted.

How an amp would sound would really depend on your sources and cabling.

Shop? Adelphi.

You can check out the 2nd hand shops there or check out the 2 webby that's been posted. They've both got B&S sections ...

dEthANGeL said:
Depends on what you're looking at - neutral sounding or slightly tainted.

How an amp would sound would really depend on your sources and cabling.

Shop? Adelphi.

You can check out the 2nd hand shops there or check out the 2 webby that's been posted. They've both got B&S sections ...
my application is more on the entry level setup; noob in this area. :eek:

Ya, now checking out the Xtremeplace, quite decent and informative posts found there.
hmm... just attracted by Swan M1.2 speaker offer by Audio88 and now still checking out the AMPs.

Any entry level amps to suggest?

I just looking for a good audio system to fill my HDB 4-room living hall, usual application s like outputs from DVD player, TV, XBox (for games and MP3) :D

Right now all only using TV's built-in speakers :p

Thanks.

ST_sg said:
my application is more on the entry level setup; noob in this area. :eek:

Ya, now checking out the Xtremeplace, quite decent and informative posts found there.
hmm... just attracted by Swan M1.2 speaker offer by Audio88 and now still checking out the AMPs.

Any entry level amps to suggest?

I just looking for a good audio system to fill my HDB 4-room living hall, usual application s like outputs from DVD player, TV, XBox (for games and MP3) :D

Right now all only using TV's built-in speakers :p

Thanks.

The quest for audio (like photography) is a never ending one .. careful where you thread :sweat: ...

Speakers wise you can take a look at AE (Acoustic Energy) AEGIS EVO 1 or Mission speakers...From the looks of it .. either these 2 will give you what you want with plenty of punch without the need of a sub.

Amp wise, take a look at NAD or Rotel. I'm sure they'll give a bang for buck savings.

great, this thread coming alive...

got my eye on this 2nd hand denon dsp i saw today...will probably pick it up tomorrow...

for my front L/R channels, will use my existing Sound Dynamics floor standers...too bad the co is now defunct...will use my audiolab to run these...

i already have a yamaha power amp which i'm currently using to drive my passive altec lansing sub...might use my yamaha to drive my rear speakers (which i havent gotten yet)...might get an active sub down the road....yah i know, M&K rocks - the base is experienced, not heard...but not willing to spend so much on audio....

that leaves me without power for my center channel...which still doesnt have a speaker yet...

i'm not trying to set up a pricey exotic system, just need something that works...else would have picked up the whole rack of Audiolab 8000Ps from that second hand shop in Roxy square...;p ;p

anywhere else has second hand shops? hope to pick up a cheap NAD poweramp or even a bargain Adcom...hehehehe

keep the suggestions coming guys!

most second hand shops mark up quite severely e.g. ck audio at golden landmark. you probably have a better chance getting at those shops selling new equip that carry tradeins.

i dont have much experience with av - i am more of a stereohead - but you want something musical as well as producing good sound in movies, i have had good experience with rotel with kef egg speakers or jmlabs. go to asia sound or kec for a spin. alternatives for the amp is the denon plus its universal player the 3910 i think. make sure you get good cables - stay away from monster if possible. cheers

yeah, kef stuff not bad, B&W, wow! Missions and Morduant Short...well, didnt appeal to me...

once heard an Anthem amp, floored me....an aural experience to say the least....

oh yah, should i use the digital out or the optical out for my DVD, cos my DVD doesnt have the individual 5.1 individual outputs...its a cheep cheep one...heheheh

If you're going to use the toslink - some say it sounds too digital .... coaxial - a little more bassier compared to toslink. You've got to try yourself.

Woah ... Sound Dynamics .. Its a matter of taste, listening expectations differ from person to person. For HT wise, i prefer Klipsch. As for surrounds, you have normal speakers and you have bipolars... bipolars covering a wider sound field. (somehow its the in thing nowadays to use bipolars).. KEF's for HT .. so far not heard yet but prefer to use them for music. I'm using Missions for my PCHT and Klipschs for my main HT ...

Active sub? Hmm .. 1 brand comes to mind - SVS :devil: ...

Which denon? :sweat: ..Again, its individual preference, after auditioning my favourite DVDs on the yammy, i feel the denon lacked presence and somehow was laid back...music too somehow lost presence... Not sure why, but if you're after a musically inclined processor, get a Marantz...I've got both, somehow the Marantz still sounds sweeter for music and for HT.

Man you're scary. But won't the sound quality / sonic qualities somehow be affected with using all different power amps? ...Cabling will also play a part... Usually most will using a 5 channel-all-in-one unit solution from Rotel, NAD or Adcom... Adcom amps being a little rough ended (being from US origins) ...As for amps wise, i still love Audiolab.

buddy:

Somehow i feel these 2nd hand shops aren't bargainable. Therefore i prefer to deal with owners directly from echoloft or xtremeplace. Been through a few deals with them already.

yeah, agree with you, a whole host of amps, plus the unmatched crossovers from speakers from various brands will prob be a nightmare...

like the klipsch stuff though...also, dun think i can do w/o a sub, seeing as how a 10" evil little thing has already crept into my car boot...muawahahaha! maybe i should get something bridgeable to drive the passive...hehehehe:bsmilie:

come to think of it, marantz stuff also seems kinda laid back to me...i guess my ears not inclined along those of WhatHiFi mag...

agree with you on denon, quite laid back, not unlike a technics...urgh ..but gotta compromise and save on $ if i'm ever going to get my 400 2.8L one day hahahahaha that kinda explains my intention to build a franken-system...hehehehe

my audiolab and SD speakers will always remain my core hifi setup...not so picky on the av stuff...

any good (but nominally priced) interconnects and speaker wires to recommend?

ST_sg said:
hi all,

Thanks for advises.

jus make a trip down 2 Adelphi. there r several shops that cater 2 ur budget. music is a rather subjective issue, wad u like another may not. trust ur own ears not others' recommandation wen it comes 2 sound preferances.;)

sORe-EyEz said:
jus make a trip down 2 Adelphi. there r several shops that cater 2 ur budget. music is a rather subjective issue, wad u like another may not. trust ur own ears not others' recommandation wen it comes 2 sound preferances.;)
ya. Thanks for you guys advises. Tentatively, I will keep an eye on the Aegis Evo1 pair of speakers. Did some read up on its web site, the design, size quite suits my requirement and available space.

As for the DSP or AMP, still need to do some more research and asking ;p
Is the Cambridge Audio Azur 640A a good match with the speakers?

Probably that would be my Christmas gift :D

Hi GitS,

Sorry to hijack your thread... so coincident, I'm also looking for such Audio system, but don't know where to start... luckily the above URL helps a lot :thumbsup:

Thanks all. :)

Yes, it'll be a nightmare. But somehow i'm sure the volume control on individual channels can be used here to compensate.

Looking for a bridgeable? Firstly is your sub a stereo sub as you didn't state ...(accepting 2 pairs of +/- ?) ... For the HT in my living room, i custom made a 15" into a box driven by a dedicated Rotel poweramp bridged mono, hooked up to a equalizer to tame it ... :sweat:... 10" in a car boot? :sweat: ... mine's only a single 8" self powered one and its already enough ...

Like i said, don't rely on "What Hifi?" already .. their reviews are kind of tainted. Still remember the fiasco they had with the Wharfedale Diamonds some time back ... after that, i didn't trust them (the speakers sounded horrid, but they rated 5 stars :rolleyes: - paid review? You decide) ... always read with a pinch of salt and judge for yourself.

Marantz recievers are not all laid back. Ask any audiophile, they'll tell you if you love music (good stereo) as well as decent HT - Marantz. But if you love the bells and whistles, the yammy will do you good. But music is something to be desired.

400 F2.8L eh? :sweat: ... i just got my first L and i'm itching for more Ls in time to come 17-40 / 24-105 ... but of course go to prioritze spending .. another rule of hifi is that, once it sounds good to you .. STOP CHANGING .. else you'll never end upgrading this and that especially with HT, they get outdated pretty fast.

Normal speaker cables? I'd go for beldens. They hide easy and won't hurt the wallet...As for interconnects, you've got to do some reading up. I use Canare / Tara Labs / Audioquest interconnects .. again, depends on your listening tastes and what you expect out of the system, whether you want it to be responsive and slick / bright or bassy.

Status
Not open for further replies.