Need feedback from C2040 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

copland

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
I am abt to get the Olympus C2040. Was reading thru the threads and have 2 concerns which I would like to hear from existing C2040 owners.

1) Noise/hot pixel - there was quite a number of complaint on the noise from shots taken from the C2040. Is this true? How do you overcome it? Can I say that for shots with 8 sec exposure or less, I shd not get any noise/hot pixel?

2) Another feedback was that the pictures taken are not as rich as those taken by Fuji. Could users who had previously switched from Fuji to Olympus provide some feedback?

3) Another shortcomings of the C2040 I shd be aware off so that I can manage my expectations?

Thanks.

1. before the firmware upgrade the noise is quite bad, but after firmware upgrade, up to 8 sec perfectly alright

a person called Jango took this with C2040
ColourClips.JPG

put together easier to compare

Olympus C2040
bugis.jpg

Fuji2600
DSCF0004.jpg

Olympus C2040
hdb.jpg

Fuji2600
sample.jpg

no offence, but I seriously believe there is a myth that fuji has richer colour.

3. zoom only 3X compared to what you used to have. Will edit my post when I think of more.

Thanks fcpga for your inputs.

In terms of the lack of zoom, I guess if I buy a teleconverter (maybe 1.7), I should be back to where I once was.

Anyone one else out there who wish to share their experience?

Originally posted by fcpga

no offence, but I seriously believe there is a myth that fuji has richer colour.

Jayan,

Since you had a Fuji2800z before, care to comment on the quality of the pictures taken by Fuji2800 and your Olympus?

That Jango is me in HWZ! :D Registered using another nick as ClubSnap somehow doesn't like the nick Jango.

Back to topic. The C2040 does produce good colors. Here's another 2 pics I took with 2040. Including the colorclips pic, WB was set to auto. So the camera is actually quite "smart" both indoors and outdoors in adjusting WB.

whiteflowers.JPG

flowers.jpg

As for the almost "official" view that Fujifilm produces better colors, I attribute that alot to the review sites. I have that impression too. Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and compare the sample photos between say...C2040 and Fuji 2800.

I'm a proud C2040Z owner too and I really highly recommend this camera to anyone who's new to digital photography. I'm currently still learning here and there, growing together with the camera.

However as for the Fuji cam (2800) colour richer than C2040Z, I believe I'm one of the few who also mention it.

With flash on for both cams, Fuji can actually produce better and accurate colours than C2040Z (Both Auto W/B). I do have some pictures which can reflect it but those are pictures of my colleagues so I can't post it here.

I will try this weekend to get some pics taken by Fuji 2600 (hopefully same as 2800) and my C2040Z and post it here.

BUT SERIOUSLY, I really hope it's my problem, not the camera :cry:

that would be good, a comparison of the colours between the 2 camera,

how come this thread cannot use img to link the image?

Originally posted by fcpga

how come this thread cannot use img to link the image?

Think the moderators setup up the forum to only allow photo galleries to display pictures.

Originally posted by Blitz
I'm a proud C2040Z owner too and I really highly recommend this camera to anyone who's new to digital photography. I'm currently still learning here and there, growing together with the camera.

However as for the Fuji cam (2800) colour richer than C2040Z, I believe I'm one of the few who also mention it.

With flash on for both cams, Fuji can actually produce better and accurate colours than C2040Z (Both Auto W/B). I do have some pictures which can reflect it but those are pictures of my colleagues so I can't post it here.

I will try this weekend to get some pics taken by Fuji 2600 (hopefully same as 2800) and my C2040Z and post it here.

BUT SERIOUSLY, I really hope it's my problem, not the camera :cry:

Actually the color on the Fj2800z is a bit more staurated than 'real-life', that's why it looked so vibrant.

E.g. thru naked eyes some flowers may look a bit dull...but shooting with a Fj2800z can really 'wake' up the colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.