Need Experienced Nikon photographers opinion - D7k or D300s

clarencekickass

Jan 29, 2011
Hey Peeps!
I'm New to this forum space so.... do excuse my "noob" posting.

Oh yeah, I'm currently Looking for a mid range DSLR to pursue a photography hobby. Planning to get a good dslr body and start off playing with prime lens for portrait and macro shooting with themes i have in mind.

Heard D300s is the best in mid range serious photography for its APSC with 51 AF points,
while D7000 is a newer batch of camera offering higher megapixels and... I've heard D7000 photos do turn out better than D300s. Not sure anyone can validate the statement?

Any opinion guys? Might consider buying this coming SITEX fair.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers

IMMO D7000 image is on par or better, higher ISO performance is better too. D300s body is better build, heavier and older spec. Buying in sitex will cost more but they give you alot of useless freebies. Check the street price to compare and spend your money on what you need not on freebies that you can buy with better and cheaper.

@STTNP,

Yeah, i did check with places such as Alan Photo @ Sim Lim Sq as i work there every weekend. However, I checked some shops do sell a sheer $200 cheaper than the other. Any ideas why.. OH yeah, I heard there are some shops that do have bad reputations huh?

Thanks for your time, mate!

Hi Clarenceasskicked, welcome to the forum and I wish you a warm welcome to Singapore best photography forum.

IMHO you will get more worth with D7000.

If you have more budget you should look at D600.

Just get D7000, better noise performance and Dynamic Range. :)

I would suggest to wait as a new DX camera may be announced soon.
Between the two the D7000 is a much newer camera with better Noise Reduction and Dynamic Range, the D300s is a bit long in the tooth.

Last edited:
I would suggest to wait as a new DX camera may be announced soon.
Between the two the D7000 is a much newer camera with better Noise Reduction and Dynamic Range, the D300s is a bit long in the tooth.

Wow... okok ! I didn't know that was coming. Thanks mate for the heads up!

New DX cam will be D5200, to replace D5100,
D7000 replacement should be next year March if i'm no wrong.

for D300s and D7000,

D300s is classify as pro grade body, and D7000 is not,
D300s is much dated than D7000,

if you plan to get a workhorse, D300s is the one,
but if you just a causal shooter, than go for D7000.

if budget is not an issue and you can wait, then wait for a much newer model may release soon.

always welcomed to post your questions. it's how others would respond to it only.

For mid-range. D7000 should meet your needs. On an entire scale of Nikon DSLR including DX and FX, D300s is consider top range in DX. Some pros do use it for backup and work.

D7k a bit looks over- expose when in 'A' or 'S' mode (just my opinion). Anyway it is better choice to start photography than D300s as it has newer technology. Since D600 announcement, a lot of D7k are being sold at below $1k at BnS section and some are still under warranty. Wish u could make the excellent choice.

D7k a bit looks over- expose when in 'A' or 'S' mode (just my opinion). Anyway it is better choice to start photography than D300s as it has newer technology. Since D600 announcement, a lot of D7k are being sold at below $1k at BnS section and some are still under warranty. Wish u could make the excellent choice.

"a lot of D7k are being sold at below $1k at BnS section and some are still under warranty", i can't find "alot". Can help me find a few that is still valid with that clause (still selling)? I have a friend that is interested.

"a lot of D7k are being sold at below $1k at BnS section and some are still under warranty", i can't find "alot". Can help me find a few that is still valid with that clause (still selling)? I have a friend that is interested.

it is better to DO IT YOURSELF, please don't expect others to cut and paste the thread links for you.

use advanced search

search single content type

search for; keyword "D700", search titles only

additional options:
Search in forum: Buy/Sell: Nikon Equipment

find post: A months ago, and newer

sort results by: last post date, in descending order

show results as: threads

Search Now

Wait for replacement model for D300s..............................:D

Go for the D7000. It is a very capable camera. I still the joy of using this camera when I bought it last year July. It had most of the advanced features available and can last for a few more years, technologically speaking.

I wld love the D7k over D300.. but sad to say its still way over my budget.. lolx

D300 is good more feels and performance in day time.

D7000 even in night time still good handle in low light with dynamic wise.

I consider the D300S an EOL product. Not in a usability sense but in the tech and resale sense.

The 51-pt AF is going to be better for some things like tracking, but I think D7000 has higher precision for non moving subjects. Also the other perks that D300S offer such as 8-fps with MB-D10 are only used by a hand-full of people.

Image quality wise the D7000 wins hands done.

You could buy a D7000 or use that money to buy a good condition 2nd hand D700.