Need Csers Help! UWA lens for D700

Cjhnsn

Apr 29, 2010
Singapore
hello guys. as title. i am not sure which UWA lens to buy for my Nikon D700.
as what i need my UWA lens for would be for landscape and night shooting as well.
but budget wise is very minimum.
I've read in this forum that third party that is considerably good would be the Sigma 12-24mm.
is there any other lens that i can get like tokina or tamron?
or if i have an option i would just go for Nikkor 16-35mm as it is still a little bit over my budget. :)
thanks for advices :D

if really wanna use filters,

than u can also take a look at the nikon 18-35, tamron 17-35 2.8

there's the sigma 15-30. recently saw a few brand new ones at Alan Photo at sim lim square, was quoted $800+ for it.

tokina 20-35 2.8 is pretty good if you looking on a budget. else tamron 17-35 2.8-4 is supposed to be ok too. i ve been using the tokina for about a year and a half, n just got up to the N17-35

hello guys. as title. i am not sure which UWA lens to buy for my Nikon D700.
as what i need my UWA lens for would be for landscape and night shooting as well.
but budget wise is very minimum.
I've read in this forum that third party that is considerably good would be the Sigma 12-24mm.
is there any other lens that i can get like tokina or tamron?
or if i have an option i would just go for Nikkor 16-35mm as it is still a little bit over my budget. :)
thanks for advices :D

If you are looking for an alternative for Ultra WA, maybe you could consider this prime lenses:
- Nikkor AFD 14mm f/2.8 ED
- Nikkor AFD 20mm f/2.8

They are Ultra WA lenses and the price is cheaper than the new Nikkor AFS 16-35 f/4 VR :)

thank you for all the feedbacks :). i appreciate it. i think my budget is within the 16-35mm. but let say if there is cheaper alternative that i can get below 16-35mm price budget. :)
i'll add the new tokina 16-28 on my wish list anyway. :) :thumbsup: :angel:

The Nikon 17-35mm f2.8D is one of the UWA legends too. The 2nd hand price is similar to a new piece of 16-35mm f4 VR.

Last edited:
thank you for all the feedbacks :). i appreciate it. i think my budget is within the 16-35mm. but let say if there is cheaper alternative that i can get below 16-35mm price budget. :)
i'll add the new tokina 16-28 on my wish list anyway. :) :thumbsup: :angel:

i am waiting for tokina 16-28mm too. any idea when it will be out and the street price?

actually the tokina 16-28 is available at ebay, but u will be put off by the price tag....

The AFD 14mm cheaper than the Nikkor AFS 16-35? Sure?

Not sure LOL.

Never check its price as I also has no intention to buy it.
As if I want to buy for myself, I would choose 14-24 f/2.8, which is more versatile indeed.

Last edited:
Do you know how wide is 17mm FX??

Choices for Ultra or Wide angle:
Nikkor Primes:
14mm
16mm FE <<Not sure if you think this is wide angle for u
18mm
20mm <<cheapest among 3
Nikkor Zoom:
14-24
17-35
16-35
20-35 <<cheapest among 4

Tamron Zoom:
19-35 <<cheapest among 3
17-35
20-40

Sigma Zoom:
12-24 << only FX 12-24 zoom.

All above mention are full frame lens, can be use on digital cropped sensor SLR(1.5x of focal length).

Last edited:
there is actually one more nikon UWA zoom - the AFD 18-35mm. pretty good lens, and forerunner to the AFD20-25 and AFS 17-35. seldom see it in buy/sell here tho. mebbe you can try overseas?

if u dun mind manual-everything lens, you can actually pick up the Samyang 14mm/2.8 lens. i find it pretty good for anything static. can't shoot moving targets with this lens cos i am way too slow in pre-focusing. :p

16-35mm is a good UWA lens for FX. I would suggest u save up enough for this lens.

WA For D700... 16-35mm F4 VR anytime.
Even though 17-35mm is a stop faster and better in distortion, the 16-35 performs quite a bit better than 17-35mm in contrast and sharpness, plus the VR feature, it's a dream lens in the past... but available today :)

Last edited: