Need comments on Flash VS Aperture mode

RavJloh

Oct 17, 2006
Yishun
Dear Bros & Sistas,
I was taking some indoor photos for a kid's birthday yesterday... I used Aperture mode ( Nikon D7000) with Flash turned On. But the shutter was slow, it seems that the shutter was syncrhonised with the Apeture settings (totally ignored the Flash). Flash was fired when I took the photos. This puzzled me till now.
I have been using SLR for many years but it seems that I never encountered slow shutter speed when I turned on the Flash.
Isn't it when Flash is turned on, the shutter should be fast ? Otherwise, i will have camera shake despite flash was On.
I was totally lost and confused. Set to ISO 2000 and above to finish the shootings for the little girl's party.

Any problem with my camear ? I am lost....

thanks for inputs.

I'm not a nikon guy but believe it should be quite similar.

In Aperture mode, it still treats flash as fill light and use slow shutter to expose background correctly. For canon, one can set the sync speed when flash is used. Your manual may provide you the info.

Thanks Bro.
Your explanation on the Fill Light on Aperture mode is good enough for me. I am clear on this now.
I will go through the manual and play with the various sync speed.

On Nikon, please note Camera Metering and flash metering are two separate metering systems.

So if you are using P, A or S mode, the camera will try to maintain a proper exposure as if the flash is not there. Then with the aperture and ISO selected, the flash will take a meter reading on how much flash power to fire to properly expose the subject. You need to understand how your Flash metering works. A good place to start is here: Nikon CLS Practical Guide: 1. Nikon Flash - Two Separate Metering Systems

Thanks so much bro for the sharing. !
I will go through the Practical guide .