Need Advises on Lens and Lens Filter

Limmo

Jul 25, 2011
Hi,

I am currently using a EF 18-135mm. Lens attached to camera since day one, when i got it 2 months back. Don't knw how some dust got in to the internal. Is there away to clean it other then sending it to the service center?

Also I just bought a Hercules brand UV filter. Went back to the shop to exchange twice due to scratches found after cleaning with micro fiber cloth, and now the current new exchange pic same thing happen. Did anyone encounter such after you clean your lens filter? Will other branding (Kendo or Hoyo) UV filter also such poor quality?

Can kindly advise.
Thank you.

Hi,

I am currently using a EF 18-135mm. Lens attached to camera since day one, when i got it 2 months back. Don't knw how some dust got in to the internal. Is there away to clean it other then sending it to the service center?

Also I just bought a Hercules brand UV filter. Went back to the shop to exchange twice due to scratches found after cleaning with micro fiber cloth, and now the current new exchange pic same thing happen. Did anyone encounter such after you clean your lens filter? Will other branding (Kendo or Hoyo) UV filter also such poor quality?

Can kindly advise.
Thank you.

You mean in the lens or your sensor...

Dust spotted on the inner top of the lens when u hold it upwards, looking onto it.

dust in lenses is very very common. most of the time it doesn't afftect the images.

the only way to clean the inside is to open up the lens. without the proper tools and techniqe, it's not easy to open it up and put it back again

What about the lens filter issue? I use a micro fiber cloth to clean it, with gentle pressure applied, but somehow it got scratched. Is it the quality of the filter glass? Will such thing happen if i were to get a better filter, Kendo 67mm UV Pro 1 Digital?

What about the lens filter issue? I use a micro fiber cloth to clean it, with gentle pressure applied, but somehow it got scratched. Is it the quality of the filter glass? Will such thing happen if i were to get a better filter, Kendo 67mm UV Pro 1 Digital?

Frankly it should not have this issue, because dust particles are not as hard as glass unless the Hecules filters are not glass but plastic.

Anyway, I have use many different type of filters of different brands... never seen this issue before.

Frankly it should not have this issue, because dust particles are not as hard as glass unless the Hecules filters are not glass but plastic.

Anyway, I have use many different type of filters of different brands... never seen this issue before.

Not too sure of the material, but was told by the shop owner that its made of Japanese Glass...though it really do not sound like glass when i knock on the 1st defective pics that i bought. So i can assume that its the quality of the filter.

Limmo said:
Hi,

Can kindly advise.
Thank you.

Is Hercules a good filter brand???

Anyway u got the wrong spelling for kenko and Hoya.

Not too sure of the material, but was told by the shop owner that its made of Japanese Glass...though it really do not sound like glass when i knock on the 1st defective pics that i bought. So i can assume that its the quality of the filter.

I guess that Kenko and Hoya should be alright. I have been using Kenko for many months and was not exactly very gentle with it too. So far, no problem at all.

dust in lenses is inevitable, it won't show up on the final images, unless it is very bad, like you have left it outside for weeks or months.
usually just leave it at it is, no point spend the money for cleaning.

I suspect you may have clear the filters too hard, till you can hear the squeaking sound when the micro fiber cloth rubbing the filter surface, normally I don't clean filters unless there are finger prints marks on it.

Thanks all for the advise