Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw8888

Sep 27, 2007
I have bought a 90mm tamron and try out some shot. Picture don't look that good.:(

Need your advise on.
1. Do I need to buy extra len(x2 len) to make the subject more bigger?
2 Do I need to buy external flash light?
3 I know I need tripod. But Monopod is it OK?
4. ANy other thing I need or beware of?

I have bought a 90mm tamron and try out some shot. Picture don't look that good.:(

Need your advise on.

Maybe you can post some pictures to show us what u meant.

1. U mean a tele / macro converter? If you are just into macro maybe you should practice on composition 1st rather than going for magnification.

2. External flash would be good to have as the fully extended barrel of the 90mm may cause shadows if you use the pop up flash.

3. If you've good hand holding / breathing techniques can do without both. For me i find that is a hassle shooting with monopod or tripod, my macros are shot hand held all the time.

4. Other than concentrating the subject, do pay some attention to the background too, keep it clean to avoid causing distraction.

Need your advise on.
#1, no necessary, 90mm able to go 1:1. which is good enough to shoot many things already.
#2, no necessary, if you go close up, external flash is over power, built in flash is good enough, but too close up may have problem of shadow cast by the lens barrel.
#3, depend on your shooting style, some people don't use tripod.
#4, check out Ortega's threads on his macro works, you may PM him for guidance

Need your advise on.

Don't need to buy anything yet, just practice more.

1.) not need at the moment, until you outgrown your 90mm with 1:1
2.) external flash, good to have, but you must know the why you need it in the first place, personally i prefer off-camera flash.
3.) I prefer tripod, but all depend on your shooting style, 90mm is still ok to handheld.
4.) I always try to pratice more and read more to ungrade myself. (don't know why, nowadays many ppls don't read)

Remember, all equipment is useless if you can't manage them. Buying stuff without knowing what you are buying wouldn't help you to improve your photo.

Thank:) Forget to ask something.

Did your manage to take very big suject in the picture Or take a 20% lessof the whole picture than crop it using software? Because I don't think I can take so close until my subject can occupy the whole picture.

Did your manage to take very big suject in the picture Or take a 20% lessof the whole picture than crop it using software? Because I don't think I can take so close until my subject can occupy the whole picture.

I will try not to crop my shots, my subjects alway occupy most of the frame, that way it is call macro.

But sometime, slight cropping will help to compose the photo as part of the PP.

Most of marco my shots in my flickr link are uncropped, if not, only slightly cropped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanleong23/

(don't know why, nowadays many ppls don't read)

QUOTE]

Don't say until like that mah.;)

I beleve reading and asking at the sametime is the best way to learn faster.

Personally, I'd prefer to get the subject fully into the picture. But at times, this is almost impossible due to the small size of the subject or due to the fact that I may spook off the insect, thus those are the times which I will crop the image to improve the composition and enlarge accordingly. ;)

Thread moved from Macros and Closeups photo gallery to general photography discussion subforum.

Need your advise on.

1. 1:1 is good enough if you need bigger do a digital zoom with your crop tool
2. yes an external flash would help you get better pictures
3. monopod is ok, just remember to use a faster shutter speed
4. composition and background

Need your advise on.

1. I would not try TC but recommend extension tube for bigger magnification

2. Yes, external flash is recommended for fill-in. Usually used with diffuser. The flash fill-in is to show up more details.

3. Tripod is recommended. Click here to see my setup.

4. Understand the behaviour of your object. Not all insects allow you to approach nearer. See some of my shots taken as follows:
Sample 1
Sample 2

a. Aperture - recommend to use small aperture for wider DOF.

b. Shutter Speed - if use tripod, you can go very slow speed if the object is very still.
Else, handheld need a faster speed like 1/125sec or faster.

c. ISO - use low ISO value for better quality

1. I would not try TC but recommend extension tube for bigger magnification

2. Yes, external flash is recommended for fill-in. Usually used with diffuser. The flash fill-in is to show up more details.

3. Tripod is recommended. Click here to see my setup.

4. Understand the behaviour of your object. Not all insects allow you to approach nearer. See some of my shots taken as follows:
Sample 1
Sample 2

a. Aperture - recommend to use small aperture for wider DOF.

b. Shutter Speed - if use tripod, you can go very slow speed if the object is very still.
Else, handheld need a faster speed like 1/125sec or faster.

c. ISO - use low ISO value for better quality

Hi Bro. I am using A mode with ISO 400 to 800 and no flash.
Is it because you are using external flash, so you can set your ISO low and Slower speed.
And what about your flash, did you set to TTL ? I got one 2nd hand flash in my Dry cabinet, but seldom use. I think should try using it now:D

Hi Bro. I am using A mode with ISO 400 to 800 and no flash.
Is it because you are using external flash, so you can set your ISO low and Slower speed.
And what about your flash, did you set to TTL ? I got one 2nd hand flash in my Dry cabinet, but seldom use. I think should try using it now:D
If you are using tripod, you can go as slow as a few sec, thus you can use low ISO for best quality. As for handheld and get good shutter speed, you need to shoot under good lighting. Yes, I use TTL and fill-in with -1 to -2 flash compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.