Need advise: Should I go for Vibration Compensation/Reduction or better F-stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focacy

Nov 22, 2009
Singapore, North
Hi Seniors,

Need some advise. I wanted to buy a lens that have at least 200mm coverage. I am in a dilemma between 2 Tamron Lens as listed below. Appreciate if anyone can give me some advise on which will give me a better probability of getting a sharp and well composed picture. Thanks.

1. AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
==> This Lens has Vibration Compensation but the f-stop is 3.6

2. Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro
==> This lens has no VC but the f-stop is 2.8. My feel is better f-stop can use faster shutter speed, which will reduce camera shake.

Last edited:
not jus the difference in numbers.

a wide aperature would hv a thinner dof giving better bokeh.

what is ur purpose for getting this len in the 1st place?

both are very different lens by nature

According to your signature, you already have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8? I have seen sharp and well-composed pictures produced even from an al cheapo Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens.

not jus the difference in numbers.

a wide aperature would hv a thinner dof giving better bokeh.

what is ur purpose for getting this len in the 1st place?

both are very different lens by nature

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My main purpose is to reach objects that are further away. but my shooting should be similar to when i use my 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. My fear is that when i take at eg. 150-200mm range, the shot is spoilt by camera shake as i dont have a steady hand. This is the reason why i am looking at the 18-270mm that comes with VC/VR.

According to your signature, you already have the Tamron 70-200 f2.8? I have seen sharp and well-composed pictures produced even from an al cheapo Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens.

Hi,

i have just bought the 70-200mm from my friend. but he wants to buy back from me at the same price. i have not really started playing with it. Plus i saw the 18-270mm with VC. so thats where my delimma starts. BTW, the cheapo Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens, i suppose the f-stop is 4+.

Hi,

i have just bought the 70-200mm from my friend. but he wants to buy back from me at the same price. i have not really started playing with it. Plus i saw the 18-270mm with VC. so thats where my delimma starts. BTW, the cheapo Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens, i suppose the f-stop is 4+.

I will stick with an f2.8 lens.

Well, you need to know the pros and cons of VC and fast lenses:

Larger Aperture:
+ Achieve that sharp subject/blur background kinda of pic that everyone loves
- Depth of Field gets shallower

VC:
+ Achieve a sharp image despite of a slow shutter speed. This gets more important as your focal length gets larger
- Utterly useless if your subject moves (You're better off with a large aperture and faster shutter speed)

Anyway, the 2 lenses you mentioned are quite different. Do evaluate your needs.

Well, you need to know the pros and cons of VC and fast lenses:

Larger Aperture:
+ Achieve that sharp subject/blur background kinda of pic that everyone loves
- Depth of Field gets shallower

VC:
+ Achieve a sharp image despite of a slow shutter speed. This gets more important as your focal length gets larger
- Utterly useless if your subject moves (You're better off with a large aperture and faster shutter speed)

Anyway, the 2 lenses you mentioned are quite different. Do evaluate your needs.

Hi,

With your comments, I think I am going to choose the f/2.8. Thanks for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.