Need Advise: Religious Premises Taboos???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focacy

Nov 22, 2009
Singapore, North
Hi All,

Have anyone heard of any Taboos or Restriction we need to take note while taking pictures at Chinese Temple, Hindu Temple, Mosque and Churches?

I just wanna make sure i didn't offend anyone or god. Appreciate any comments or advise. Thanks.

differs from temple to temple from mosque to mosque and from church to church..

i don't ever recall encountering any problem shooting at chinese temple.

mosques, i am not sure, but depending on where you are, the more muslim-populated countries and areas (e.g. morocco) are not so receptive to photography, in particular when you have women in frame.

churches usually are ok to photography, if they are not there will be clear signs. the main problem usually is that tripod not allowed.. :)

Hello, Focacy.
That is a good question. For many of us, we don't know sufficiently well of others' religion to know if there are indeed any restrictions.
I can only speak about Buddhist Temples/Monasteries, Taoist Temples.
Locally in Singapore, there are no restrictions in general. Even if you do take photos of the statues of Buddha, Guan Yin, Boddhisatva's and the various Taoist deities like Toa Pek Kong. Of course, subject to the individual temple's own ruling.
I know that when I go to Tibet, certain monasteries require me to make a donation payment of 20RMB when I take pictures inside. But that is more for tourists like myself.
I would certainly like to find out more about the other places of worship.

For mosques, if you are a guy, wear long pants (full-length). Wash your feet before you step into the mosque proper. They have the washing area for the muslims to do abolution (cleaning up) before they do the prayers. Avoid the prayer times. As for prayer times, you can check this link http://www.muis.gov.sg/cms/uploadedFiles/MuisGovSG/Downloads/Prayer%20Timetable%202010.pdf. And of course, avoid Friday afternoon, as all Muslims will be gathering for their Friday prayers. If you'd like to shoot such a congregation, you can ask the Imam of the mosque.

As for women, would have to cover up with a scarf, long sleeves blouse and long pants (full length). Again, wash your feet before entering the mosque proper. They have different washing areas for men and women, so please take note.

Before entering, check and ask the Imam (mosque leader) about more detailed etiquettes. They are more than happy to invite you in and explain to you.

One last thing, remove your shoes prior to entering the mosque. Removing the socks is also good as you would also know you'd have to wash your feet.

HTH.

Do not climb on statues.

What I was told during a overseas tour is that you should take pics of statues (Buddha, Guan Yin, etc.) in full (height). The statue should not be truncated in the pics. I cannot recall the explanation.

For mosques, if you are a guy, wear long pants (full-length). Wash your feet before you step into the mosque proper. They have the washing area for the muslims to do abolution (cleaning up) before they do the prayers. Avoid the prayer times. As for prayer times, you can check this link http://www.muis.gov.sg/cms/uploadedFiles/MuisGovSG/Downloads/Prayer%20Timetable%202010.pdf. And of course, avoid Friday afternoon, as all Muslims will be gathering for their Friday prayers. If you'd like to shoot such a congregation, you can ask the Imam of the mosque.

As for women, would have to cover up with a scarf, long sleeves blouse and long pants (full length). Again, wash your feet before entering the mosque proper. They have different washing areas for men and women, so please take note.

Before entering, check and ask the Imam (mosque leader) about more detailed etiquettes. They are more than happy to invite you in and explain to you.

One last thing, remove your shoes prior to entering the mosque. Removing the socks is also good as you would also know you'd have to wash your feet.

HTH.
:thumbsup:

To add my own experience, I shot in a few mosques here in Singapore, most allowed me to take pics inside, even on the prayer hall. But not during the prayers off course......need to repect that, best is to ask first.

Although one mosques even allowed me to shoot pics during the prayers, but the mosques on that day was not full, and I was introduced to the imam by a colleague......

A small mosque I liked is the one at Telok Ayer, it is sitting in between the old shophouses/shops.......small but old and has a very nice interior.

I went to Indonesia,and in Jakarta there is a huge mosque Istiqlal, I was allowed to shoot from the second floor only, as the groundfloor was for prayers. It was very dark inside though, the ceiling had beautiful mosaics, but since the light didn't come in much, it was dark. So, in the end I didn't take pics, just walk and look around. There was someone to bring us around, and we gave him some coffee money afterwards............

Btw: The Istiqlal was designed by a Catholic :)

http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...hings_To_Do-Jakarta-Istiqlal_Mosque-BR-1.html

HS

Note on the topic of Guan Yin, the famous Guan Yin temple at Waterloo street is NO PHOTOGRAPHY AREA in the prayer hall. There is cisco guard there to enforce the rule.

differ from temple to temple, from mosque to mosque, from church to church
just ask for permission
some popular one does not allow due to crowd control, meaning if they allow one there will be more people taking photo/video and that may obstruct devotees.

I have not heard rule about must have take whole body. I have taken headshot pictures of taoist statues and nothing wrong with that.

One thing is flash rule, normally not allowed and you think yourself, it may distract the devotees praying. Some may not like it, and not good to do that right? Esp when you come as visitor.

Ladies - dont go to mosque if you have period. Some hindu temples also dont allow. Not just in singapore. I once go for a tour in monkey forest in bali (nearby there is bat temple - the temple is in a cave and lots of bats in it) and the tour guide ask those having period not to join and stay in bus. There are 3 ladies who dont listen to the warning, one of them obviously have her period on that day and she got attacked by monkeys, the tour guide must save her and bring her back to bus.
Also need to observe the decency rule, please wear long skirt or pants (not tight one) and no spagetty and low cut exposing the cleavage. Keep that for clubbing.

Last edited:
One thing is flash rule, normally not allowed and you think yourself, it may distract the devotees praying. Some may not like it, and not good to do that right? Esp when you come as visitor.

Strange when I was shooting at the temple (with invitation) the other time, I was about to remove my flash when the in-charge told me that it's fine to use it. :dunno:

It's a good thing as without it, I don't think I could get the shot I had in mind. ;)

Strange when I was shooting at the temple (with invitation) the other time, I was about to remove my flash when the in-charge told me that it's fine to use it. :dunno:

It's a good thing as without it, I don't think I could get the shot I had in mind. ;)

may be he know photography ;)
I always measure if can still shoot at ISO 800 at F4 at good speed no need to use flash la

And as respect, do not splash your name over the sacret satutes pictures taken within the hall.
Can't remember the name of the member but there was one photographer who took the buddha of the Relic temple splash the name over and above the Buddha.

What I was told during a overseas tour is that you should take pics of statues (Buddha, Guan Yin, etc.) in full (height). The statue should not be truncated in the pics. I cannot recall the explanation.

And as respect, do not splash your name over the sacret satutes pictures taken within the hall.
Can't remember the name of the member but there was one photographer who took the buddha of the Relic temple splash the name over and above the Buddha.

you mean watermark?

Lol, i remember this shoot.

Bro, bring back old memories hor.... long time haven't shoot with you leh.. :lovegrin:

may be he know photography ;)
I always measure if can still shoot at ISO 800 at F4 at good speed no need to use flash la

Do let me know how you would take this shot (in the temple) without flash, when there is no light/sun casting on the wall. Apart from PP the reflection and wording, I can't think of a better way than to use a flash.

3856343890_871cce3da4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Simple answer:

Call and check with the In-Charge of a particular place you want to shoot at.

Even within the same religion, different locations and different ICs may have different codes of practices and so on.

Inside a Catholic church, you are not supposed to step up to the "podium" which is considered holy ground. Also when service is in session, you are not supposed to flash, especially when the priest is holding up the "chalice with the body of Christ". You will know that moment when everyone bow their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.