Need advise regarding macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorby

Apr 4, 2004
Queenstown
Hello everybody,
I have a D 70 with a Nikon 18-70 mm and a 80-200 mm lens (F/2.8). I need to do a lot of closeup photography at work. Also need to take a couple of not so close up pictures. Was considering a Nikon 60mm F 2.8 Micro lens, but that would not allow zoom and restrict the range I need. I am not so keen to change lenses at work due to the ccd dust issue.

Has anybody used the Nikon 6T closeup lens with the 18-70 mm lens. How close can you go and are the pictures good. Does one lose one F stop due to the close up lens. I am also considering the Canon 500D closeup lens for the 80-200 lens. Any suggestions or help would be welcome.

warm regards,
Gorby

Many users of the 80-200 f/2.8 go for the Canon 500D as it is a 2 element diopter, like Nikon's great 4T close up filter. I'm not sure about the 18-70 with the 6T, but at 70mm, you are going to be a bit close to the subject and could block the light falling on it.

From what I've seen, close up filters don't cause you to lose light (unless it is really dirty and uncoated). You might lose some due to the close focusing of the lens but should be less than 1 stop.

If it was me, I'd try the Canon 500D. Expensive, but at least I know of people getting good results with it and the 80-200mm.

Aaron

Closeup diopters give you higher magnification and longer working distance with longer lenses than shorter ones, so a Canon 500D for the 80-200 is a better idea than one for the 18-70.

And why would you need a zoom for closeup product work? As megaweb said, for indoor product shoots, one of the best option is using a dedicated macro (60mm is good for stamps, coins etc, or 105mm if you need a bit more working distance) with a focussing rail.

If you think you really really need a zoom, then your only option is the 70-180mm Micro-Nikkor, but even with this dedicated macro zoom lens, you wouldn't be getting 1:1.

Thanks for all the comments. I am a surgeon and need to take occasional closeup pictures along with a few wide angles...say a whole limb. The 80-200 is too much to carry to work everyday and the 60 mm wont give wide angles when needed. I want to know about the performance of the 18-70 with the 6T lens.
warm regards,
Gorby

I thought surgeons use specific equipment, sounds like not in the league of any dSLRs or regular lenses, be it pro-grade. I shall check out with my colleague tomorrow. :)
Even LCDs you guys use very high contrast-ratio and res with special matt surface, like those Sony Vaio screens (TR3) but with matt surface right? Not the regular high-end ones even found in Macs....

gorby said:
Thanks for all the comments. I am a surgeon and need to take occasional closeup pictures along with a few wide angles...say a whole limb. The 80-200 is too much to carry to work everyday and the 60 mm wont give wide angles when needed. I want to know about the performance of the 18-70 with the 6T lens.
warm regards,
Gorby

hmm, seems like your mind is quite fixed, so you might as well try out the 18-70 with the 6T. When using it to take your wide angle pictures, if perspective and distortion is important, remember to keep the film plane parallel to the subject, and try to avoid shooting it with parts of the subject near the edges of the picture to avoid distortion.

thanks once again guys....Most sites mention that the 5T & 6T are to be used with lenses having a focal length > 80 mm...that is why I wanted to know if anyone has used the 6T with the 18-70.. Does using a closeup lens increase the lens to subject distance....

cheers

Gorby

gorby said:
thanks once again guys....Most sites mention that the 5T & 6T are to be used with lenses having a focal length > 80 mm...that is why I wanted to know if anyone has used the 6T with the 18-70.. Does using a closeup lens increase the lens to subject distance....

cheers

Gorby

Yes, the diopters work better with longer focal length lenses, but you seemed quite set on not using it with your 80-200mm, so I guess you just have to make do.

Diopters, extension tubes, reversing lens etc all will NOT increase your working distance. On the contrary, since these equipment are there to help increase your magnification, they will reduce your working distance. So it's possible that you find your working distance to be very short when using the 6T with your 18-70, as it doesn't have much working distance to begin with in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.