Need advise on which lens to use for event

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangebrainer

Jul 24, 2009
I've currently 2 lens
-Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6
-Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II

I'm helping my friend take shots for a dinner event in the night in a open place.
There will be some sort of a tentage for the outdoor to accomodate the event.

I'm rather bad at night photography cause i realise most of the times i get blur shots even after reading about them. I kept the aperture as large as possible but still, i suspect its my handshake.

I bought Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II and found that it gets lesser blurness as perhaps more light can enter. But the only set back is, i'm too used to zooming instead of moving about.

IF i use my Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6, i'll usually use rather fast shuttle speed to prevent blurness, but i'm not sure if i'm right about that =\

Currently, i'm confused which lens to equip for the night, though i intend to bring both.

I've currently 2 lens
-Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II

I'm helping my friend take shots for a dinner event in the night in a open place.

I'm rather bad at night photography cause i realise most of the times i get blur shots even after reading about them. I kept the aperture as large as possible but still, i suspect its my handshake.

I bought Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II and found that it gets lesser blurness as perhaps more light can enter. But the only set back is, i'm too used to zooming instead of moving about.

IF i use my Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6, i'll usually use rather fast shuttle speed to prevent blurness, but i'm not sure if i'm right about that =\

Currently, i'm confused which lens to equip for the night, though i intend to bring both.

Are you get paid for this event? If not, I feel you will be less burden.
If you do not able (budget limit) to purchase new item, don't worry
Try to loan it. This one is quite good. Almost the cheapest in town: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359995

If you want to loan, get the EFS 17-55 f2.8, coupled with a flash (430EXII is almost good)
If you got budget to purchase, you may get a cheaper alternative - Tamron 17-50, but you still need flash.

orangebrainer said:
I've currently 2 lens
-Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II

I'm assuming that the available (ambient) light isn't too bright, so even if you have a 50mm f/0.8, I think it'll be difficult to get clean shots just with a lens + camera.
The external flash 430EX (minimum) is a very good idea.

I'm not paid for the event, just helping out as well as to get some experience for this kind of shooting.

Preferbably i dun really wish to spend any money but the deal does look reasonable enough o_O

I guess i'd prefer the tamaron lense, but regarding the external Flash, i've not used one before! I'm not sure if i can adjust to it during the event itself

From what i read of your situation, the zoom lens with a large enough aperture for your purposes does not exist, unless you are ok with pumping up the ISO.

Either you learn how to use the flash properly or mentally prepare your friend for the types of pictures to expect in the end.

You only need to get a flash, and a proper diffuser... and the limitations of your equipment will be largely removed.

Dude... It is not a which-lens-to-use issue. You need a flash. Period.

Practise using it before the actual event.

I'm not paid for the event, just helping out as well as to get some experience for this kind of shooting.

Preferbably i dun really wish to spend any money but the deal does look reasonable enough o_O

I guess i'd prefer the tamaron lense, but regarding the external Flash, i've not used one before! I'm not sure if i can adjust to it during the event itself

you want exp, i presume you will being doing more events in the future,

so why not get one know? it's easy to use, need not worry.

i know you don't wish to spend money, but if you're doing the job,

do a good one. and doesn't mean you're not getting paid,

you don't have to do as good a job as getting paid.

anw, flash is a staple to event photographers.

your fast lens, is also an invaluable friend in events,

it will help you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.