Need advise on ultracompact digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabesh

Nov 25, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Greetings all, this is my first post here. I stumbled across this site via a Google search and find it very informative! I'd appreciate it if you'all can help me choose a digital camera. These are what I'm looking for:
  • Ultracompact form
  • Manual shutter-speed setting (or shutter priority) or a long-shutter / nightshot mode that allows me to choose a long shutter speed.
  • Good autofocus at night
Sony DSC-N1 and the Canon SD550 fit the bill but are there any other cams smaller with what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers, Sabesh.

Hmm.. Most ultra-compacts don't offer manual controls cos they're designed for the point-and-shoot crowd who won't bother with such settings. Closest you can get is night scene mode.

As far as I know Sony provides some form of manual control (though limited) for their compact cams, which aren't considered truly ultra-compact.

zcf,

Thanks! The F11 looks similar to the Pentax Optio SVi in features and size. However, I'd prefer something a little smaller.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

sabesh said:
zcf,

Thanks! The F11 looks similar to the Pentax Optio SVi in features and size. However, I'd prefer something a little smaller.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

I'm looking too... but none at the moment... fujifilm f11 and canon a610/620 closest match to your 'manual' control requirement.

I'm using the Casio Exilim Z750 and has the small form + limited manual control - limited coz Aperture priority only has 2 choices of F-stops, but it has manual for both A & S. I like it a lot, but its flash is pretty weak & I can't take night & dim indoor shots well. Try it in the store first to see if you like it!

sane said:
I'm using the Casio Exilim Z750 and has the small form + limited manual control - limited coz Aperture priority only has 2 choices of F-stops, but it has manual for both A & S. I like it a lot, but its flash is pretty weak & I can't take night & dim indoor shots well. Try it in the store first to see if you like it!

I second this. Casio Exilims fits your bill nicely:thumbsup:

sane said:
That is a dilemma for ultracompact digicam. I know many ppl (including me) wants to use the ultracompact digicam for indoor to take photos for friends and families, but all the ultracompact digicams have very weak flash power, so it is very un-usuable for indoor.

Astin said:
That is a dilemma for ultracompact digicam. I know many ppl (including me) wants to use the ultracompact digicam for indoor to take photos for friends and families, but all the ultracompact digicams have very weak flash power, so it is very un-usuable for indoor.
That's the price to pay for Ultra compact versus DSLR. A nice compromise will be the prosumer, although it's not that much lighter or compact as the DSLRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.