need advise on tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

prestig3

Feb 11, 2009
hi, im a newbie and not really sure about which tripod to get. but came to know that slik and manfrotto tripods are good.

i'm currently using a D80 and intending to get one tripod that can also support higher range of nikon cameras just in case if i would change to one in the future. my height is about 1.8m

i went to a shop at sim lim and they recommended me one manfrotto tripod which seems really sturdy. i think its the 190 series but not really sure of the exact model. its selling for about $300 which includes a 3 series ball head i think.

need some advise on whether this would be suitable for me and if the price range is reasonable. probably can advise on which exact model of tripod and ball head to get?

thanks alot.

i suggest u go to CP ar penninsula, they can better advice u.

standing at 1.8m, manfrotto is too short for u, unless u dont mind constantly bending or half squat to look through the viewfinder.

i suggest u look for something like manfrotto 055 series.

i may want to read up this sticky i posted

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384016

Last edited:
manfrotto 190 tripods not bad i'm using that check it out go to CP ar penninsula:D

hi, im a newbie and not really sure about which tripod to get. but came to know that slik and manfrotto tripods are good.

i'm currently using a D80 and intending to get one tripod that can also support higher range of nikon cameras just in case if i would change to one in the future. my height is about 1.8m

i went to a shop at sim lim and they recommended me one manfrotto tripod which seems really sturdy. i think its the 190 series but not really sure of the exact model. its selling for about $300 which includes a 3 series ball head i think.

need some advise on whether this would be suitable for me and if the price range is reasonable. probably can advise on which exact model of tripod and ball head to get?

thanks alot.

Personally I would go for a Slik tripod at that price range.

hi all, thanks alot for the reply. i can see that most of the advise is to go CP where they can better advise me.

but, as im not very sure of the price range of tripods and heads etc, im afraid that i might buy something overpriced.

would it be possible if you guys can give some personal advise on which specific tripod model and head to get and its est price range?

hi all, thanks alot for the reply. i can see that most of the advise is to go CP where they can better advise me.

but, as im not very sure of the price range of tripods and heads etc, im afraid that i might buy something overpriced.

would it be possible if you guys can give some personal advise on which specific tripod model and head to get and its est price range?

why not look into buying used tripod in cs's b&s?

much cheaper than buying new. shouldnt give any problem if rated condition 9-10 since it is pure mech. stuff, no elect. components.

mine is Benro A350-EX + BH-0,

200811417167331.jpg

2008115101421186.jpg

200859114729802.jpg

Specification:

Brand : China
Max height : 1438mm
Min height : 404mm
Norm height : 1250mm
Weight : 1.3kg
Max Load : 4 kg
Price : can't remember, bought it at sim lim square Orient Photo at 6 floor

Why i like this tripod
~ The three lock are fast lock which is easy for setup and keeping
~ The ball head will also flexible for which is also easy and fast also
~ Weight is ok and can handle 4 kg of load, meaning that i can attached my telezoom lens with a camera without any problem of stability.
~ Was comparing the manfrotto 724B and i love the benro weight(lighter by 200g) Load (can handle another 500g) and price (cheaper)
724B.jpg

i am a real newbie at this stuff but bought a manfrotto 190xbpro on the weekend and am really satisfied.

got a ballhead and its really easy to use - wld definitely recommend that regardless of what brand of tripod you get.

paid around 300 for the lot at orient photo sim lim - didnt shop around so not sure if cheap or expensive..

One fallacy abt tripod is that you want it to be as tall as u. In fact, I never had the urge to shoot it at eye-level when using my tripod. At most chest level will be good enuff for all that I shoot. For landscape shots, belly level may produce more flattering results too.

hi all, really appreciate the advices.

i just bought a manfrotto 055CX3 with a 488RC4 ball head. tried it out and really satisfied :)

Happy for you... Haha... Remember to bring it out more often.

hi all, really appreciate the advices.

i just bought a manfrotto 055CX3 with a 488RC4 ball head. tried it out and really satisfied :)

how much & where u hoot on this tripod can share??? me also thinking to get a tripod this weekend... :)

One fallacy abt tripod is that you want it to be as tall as u. In fact, I never had the urge to shoot it at eye-level when using my tripod. At most chest level will be good enuff for all that I shoot.

I want it to be around eye level is because of fence or obstruction or handle over at cliff or edge of the bridge is always at your chest level, moreover if eye level i point up and shoot firework, i can be sure the crowd will not block me, then again the normal height for my tripod is chest level and can shoot just as fine.

In such a crowd would there even be a space for tripods?

anyway here is mine compared to a regular "freebie" tripod.

3113491771_b776d180a8_o.jpg

more then enough height.

I'm 1.8m and using 055XproB - sturdy and nice height.

how much & where u hoot on this tripod can share??? me also thinking to get a tripod this weekend... :)

hi, sorry for the late reply. i got the tripod for $355 and the ball head for $135 at cp.

I'm also using the Benro 350EX and loving it.

Took it to a spin at South Africa recently with zero issues at all be it outdoors at sandy areas or urban conditions. Sets up very quickly if you keep the release plate on the camera.

Height raises to about 160+, and may seem like an issue but in reallife situations, i don't normally extend the entire tripod to it's maximum length either, perhaps i don't enjoy the eye-level perspective as much. I'm very much used to using a waist level finder on my mediumformat too.

I'm not pro at rating tripods and neither have i handled much, but by taking it around both as a long exposure stand, self portrait support or light stand, it always feels just-right in weight. I don't like light tripods, they don't feel solid on my hand. Call me weird, but i've always played sports that require me to grip onto something tight - Tennis & Baseball, so having something solid to feel on my hands is more important than being light and hollow (even if durable).
If it would matter to you at all, i think you would feel safe entering a suspicious, shady area carrying this tripod :D Cause i actually do. It very much reminds me of my baseball bat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.