Need advise on lenses....

R1marsie

Feb 22, 2011
hi guys,
I have a Nikon d70 and a sigma 18-135 lens.
I'm planning to shoot for my sister's engagement party which will be held in my house. I'm new in photography so I guess this would be a good time for me to practice.
My questions is, what lenses and flash should I use for this event??
so is there settings that you may share with me??

Thanks.

Use your current lens, fully sufficient. Get a flash that you can afford. Read up about basics of flash (.e.g bounce flash, bounce card). Practice well before, analyze your shoots. There are no magic settings. Some people use A mode, others use manual. Detailed settings vary depending on actual conditions and intended outcome.
More important is that you know your camera well and how it works with flash. Read about the difference in exposure metering and flash metering.

Oh Ok, thanks for the tips..
Do I need to have a prime lens?? 35mm perhaps??

I would actually only recommend getting ANy lens if you feel that the current lens you are using is unable to fulfill that need. (e.g. Better Bokeh? a Wider View? Better Image Quality? etc).

Bottom Line: If you don't know the value of getting the lens, don't get it!

Last edited:
I would actually only recommend getting ANy lens if you feel that the current lens you are using is unable that need. (e.g. Better Bokeh? a Wider View? Better Image Quality? etc).

Bottom Line: If you don't know the value of getting the lens, don't get it!

Have to agree with this. This hobby can get pretty ex if you start buying stuff and later regret your purchase.

I agree Aswell...thanks..how about renting lenses?? Instead of buying then atleast I could try it out 1st.. What your take on that one??

I agree Aswell...thanks..how about renting lenses?? Instead of buying then atleast I could try it out 1st.. What your take on that one??

imo, if you don't know what you are looking for in the new lens, even if you tried the "best" lens, you may not even tell the difference. Of course you can try some shops that rent lenses, confirm will be better to rent than buy first (I can't recall where liao, do a search in the forum)

*Note: If you didn't already know, there is no such thing called best lens. It's subjective*

R1marsie said:

Renting has pros and cons too. Might need more than 24 hrs with it to really know if you like it or not. Longer rental means more $$ that could've gone towards buying it.

Renting has pros and cons too. Might need more than 24 hrs with it to really know if you like it or not. Longer rental means more $$ that could've gone towards buying it.

Yup. If I was going to rent a lens for a while to test if I like it, I'd rather buy a second hand one, and if I don't like it, I don't lose much when I put it up in B&S to sell it.

No point. Since you don't know much about your current lens what would you look for? The focal range is pretty much ok. Longer won't help much indoors, unless you want to single out a nose or an eye. Aperture is fine, too. Since the outcome is not mission critical just go and practice. Without knowledge and skills the best lens is not much help.

well alright, I ma use my lens and just shoot..thanks guys for the info...

You may want to rent a flash.;p
If you do know how to use it, PM me with your number.