Need advise on hw to take natural candids shot?

whyekuen

Jan 9, 2010
Hi guy,

Im a newbie to cs, need some tips and technique on hw to shoot natural candids pic?
Eg: pple walking on street, pple choosing fruit @ a stall etc etc....
I would always get a blur pic out of it. Wat shd i be looking out for? Izzit the timing or the motion?

Appreciate ur advise guy.:)
Thanks.

Hi guy,

Im a newbie to cs, need some tips and technique on hw to shoot natural candids pic?
I would always get a blur pic out of it. Wat shd i be looking out for? Izzit the timing or the motion?

Thanks.

Welcome to CS :)

Day or night shots?

Use a high enough ISO so that you shutter speed will not be too slow. As a guide, approx 1/90 for static people with some fidgeting here and there; 1/125 for walking; up to 1/240 or 1/320 for faster movement

You need to use the basics. If your pictures are blurred, you need to increase shutter speed.

like rashkae hve said u need to read up more basic i think it's also mentioned in ur camera manual if u do read it, blurr need to jack up ur shutter speed lo to freeze the action

Will give it a try.

Thanks guy.:)

first, try to frame what you want to take, including the DoF.

estimate the distance btwn you and the targets. preset your lens, test out and use your body to adjust the lens and not your hands.

Hi guy,

Thanks.

Use low or high speed continuous shooting.
This will give you a better chance of capturing
a good shot. Of course you must be able to
set speed to more than 80. This depends on how
fast the objects are moving. Faster moving objects
requires higher speeds.
If you are using flash, then there is the limitation
of continuous shooting due to its recharge time.

_______
Abdullah | www.PictureU.biz | Instant Photography for Events |

U need to be natural firstly and not try to sneak shots like a spy. By being natural you will then be able to blend into the scene and people will not be too bothered by your presence or be suspicious of your intent

do bump up your shutter speed but take note of your iso and aperture at the same time.

i think the best way to take natural candid shots without feeling like "the weird guy" is to listen to music while taking your photos.. you will be enjoying the music and taking pictures, you would care less about the ppl around you :thumbsup:

take from a further distance brudda

when you're close to them and they realize that you are snapping them, they will look at you oTL|||

take from a further distance brudda

when you're close to them and they realize that you are snapping them, they will look at you oTL|||

Not exactly. It depends largely on your approach and your body language. If you feel tense and uncertain, your body language will show and people around will notice. Its even worse if you want to act sneaky. I know some people preach or prefer taking pictures from afar through a telephoto but what I feel is a better way is to try to practice going in nearer.

Firstly, try not to act all weird or sneaky. Just be upfront that your snapping pic, at least they know you have no ulterior intention. Secondly try not to put the camera to your face for extended period. What I usually do is to already have a metal frame of what I wanna capture, i mostly use a 35 prime, I just pre set all the settings and walk in nearer, as I approach the fella I'll just raise the cam, focus and snap thats it, and just walk away.

If the fella is trying to be funny or he stares at you. Dont move away, just act as if your shooting something behind him/her. I'll just stand there, act like i'm deleting my photos and just continue to shoot on the spot (to act as if Im shooting something else haha)

But on top of this, the main essential part is to have an eye for details to see whats on the streets. What are you trying to capture? Emotions? Humor? Irony? And lastly, practice hard!

not really brudda rena, it depends on the folks

certain ones will react differently as soon as they found out that there are lenses pointing at em, and that natural expression or what we wanna capture initially may no longer be there

was walking around chinatown recently, and saw a photographer being swear at by the local for taking a photo of him, dunno the reason or what happened but in the case such things happen, just walk away, certain ones are sensitive

this nice old man's been looking at me regardless of where i'm shooting from when he 1st realized me, he's behavior was totally different before

mg8507.jpg

the 24 and 35 range are abit too close for my taste, so for any candids on the streets i'd go with the 50 and 85 anytime

blending within the crowd would also help ( ̄∇ ̄ )

mg8546.jpg

mg8550m.jpg

mg8575p.jpg

yep, don't walk away if they stare at ya

her father looked at me after he heard the shutter, and i just stood there and smiled at him のヮの

mg8623.jpg

let's also remember to respect the people we are shooting.
if they ask that you delete their pic, then just do it.

remember to smile a lot (please not the mad, obnoxious or evil grin type of smile) and people will likely take less notice of you.

cheers!

Hi guy,

Thanks.

Welcome to CS :)

Day or night shots?

Use a high enough ISO so that you shutter speed will not be too slow. As a guide, approx 1/90 for static people with some fidgeting here and there; 1/125 for walking; up to 1/240 or 1/320 for faster movement

You need to use the basics. If your pictures are blurred, you need to increase shutter speed.

Yup we know you're a newbie...welcome to CS.

It's basically practise, practise and more practise. But don't practise with the same setting or you won't be learning anything. Experimentation and see the difference. Join us in group outing specially organised with newbies in mind. :cool:

I took candids quite frequently previously and heres my 2 cents.

1) Be prepared, don't stop suddenly in your path, and shoot without proper handholding techniques.
1i) Be prepared also includes anticipating your subject's next movement, where they're going to be, where you would like to frame them. etc. Sort of guessing how your pic would turn out, when is the best time to snap.

2) Shoot quickly after your AF hits, especially if you're not on Servo mode. In my early experience, most of my subjects always walk out of my DOF before I hit the shutter.

3) I would recommend a shutter speed of above 1/500. A tad overkill, but its my preference. Nothing slower than 1/200 for me. I use an F2 lens so shutter speed was never a problem for me, provides DOF too, consider getting a fast lens =)

4) Start with Children at playgrounds or play areas for practice? They make very pretty subjects and many are quite natural infront of cameras. Be nice with parents though.