Need advise on how to maintain lens and camera

BrownInu

Sep 22, 2009
Hi ppl,

I am new to dslr world, hence wondering what type of equipments and how shall i maintain and clean up the lens and camera after usage.

eg: type of blower and cloth for cleaning?

Please advise if possible.
Thank you

Welcome to DSLR photography.

For a start, recommend to use a decent UV(0) filter as lens protector in addition to the lens hood.

To maintain one's lens fungus free, keep one's gear in a dry cabinet to maintain storage at 45-55 RH% when one is not out shooting.

Air blowers (not compressed air cans) are available to most camera shops. One such brand is Giotti Rocket blower.

To add, 3M microfiber cleaning cloth is highly recommend as well :)

Dry box is very important. U can try lenspen as a compact cleaning kit.

thanks guys,
check for air blower, is it those that come with brushes at the end?
i had placed an order for dry cabinet. Currently, waiting for delivery.

Regarding 3M micro fiber cleaning cloth, is it purely for the lens ?

No, the brush is useless. It just softens the airflow. Check for Giotto Rocket Blower (available in many shops).
In general: don't get carried away with excessive cleaning. A wipe for the sweat is enough. Hunting dust is futile, focus on the dust that will appear at the sensor sooner or later. Only there it affects the image. Dust on lens can be neglected, unless it forms colonies.
Google a bit, search the forum, plenty of information.

depends on you whether you want to keep it in a dry cabinet or not.
as for me, i will use the blower to blow the dust from the equipment i used during that day
then i will wipe it using the cleaning cloth then it will be stored in my dry cabinet until next use :D ~

thanks guys,
i had placed an order for dry cabinet. Currently, waiting for delivery.

Regarding 3M micro fiber cleaning cloth, is it purely for the lens ?

Red Dot photo has the $18 cleaning kit which is good enough , you can order it from the mass sales section.