Need advise on how to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Precisefit88

Deregistered
Aug 10, 2011
Singapore
Hi everyone, I'm using a Dx Dslr, I'm an amateur photography main I shoot sports. I have read some of the member who post and as I don't want to spoilt the market as I'm learning nor I shoot for free.

Taking photography is a learning process for me so my question is how to charge the fees.

1. Semi pro (per hour)
2. And using FX DsLR.

Mostly as I'm learning I charge like 60/day like a sports meet. Just to cover my transport and meal.

Does post editing charge be involve to the fees.
I'm doing this part time as I love to do sport photography the challenge.

Hope can advise me on this.

Hi everyone, I'm using a Dx Dslr, I'm an amateur photography main I shoot sports. I have read some of the member who post and as I don't want to spoilt the market as I'm learning nor I shoot for free.

Taking photography is a learning process for me so my question is how to charge the fees.

1. Semi pro (per hour)
2. And using FX DsLR.

Mostly as I'm learning I charge like 60/day like a sports meet. Just to cover my transport and meal.

Does post editing charge be involve to the fees.
I'm doing this part time as I love to do sport photography the challenge.

Hope can advise me on this.

First of all $60 per day is a joke. My assistant earns twice as much as you on a per day assignment - food and transport provided. You are better off not charging if it's so low.

Second, very important, you rates is not defined by whether you DX or FX or XXX, canon or Nikon AND pro or semi pro have no difference in regard to how much you should charge. Just like in war I don't care you national service boy or full time regular soldier, if enemy see you in uniform, enemy shoot you. You AWOL you get charged, regular or NS - same. Photography job, same, of course. What makes you think a semi pro status is an excuse or a barrier?

Third, if you are in the learning stages of photography and you want to charge money? PLEASE, it's people like this that gives photographers a bad name.

Now the info: Singapore don't have much of a market for sports photography, all the more you shoukd charge more. Big events are covered by real photojournalists from the press and media. And of course by the volunteer amatuers doing for free too - remember yog? There's some market for private sports events if the club is rich enough to hire. I have a friend who shoots golf, polo, cricket and football. He charges often more than $1000 a day. It's tough job that involves a lot of physical stamina, under the hot sun. the next three days usually he fall is out if action due to dehydrated or fatigued or sun burned or stroked of simply just fall sick.

You already killed your own market (already very limited) by charging $60 a day. I reckon it's going to very hard and awkward for you to raise prices.

Last edited:
Thks for the info. I'm not doing it full time, it is my free time. Now I know so thks. Why I like sport photography because it is challenging the weather, how ur positioning. It is better pay then free rite bro. Anyway it 60/Hr. Thks for the info.

Thks for the info. I'm not doing it full time, it is my free time. Now I know so thks. Why I like sport photography because it is challenging the weather, how ur positioning. It is better pay then free rite bro. Anyway it 60/Hr. Thks for the info.

$60 per hour still sound a bit low, but i guess everyone has to start somewhere la.. you should factor in some $$ for your time editing.

BTW, your original post said $60 per day..

Like what was mentioned, if you are charging, better make sure that you can deliver to the client :) If you want to learn for the exposure and fun might be wiser to find another working pro to tag along?

Also I'd advise you to join Agetan's sharing sessions to learn more about the business side of it :)

Roti Prata.

Hi ..

I've been a professional photographer for past 25 years covering everything from events to commercial to overseas assignments.

Here's my guideline of rates i charges that i think may help set you on right tracks...

PR & Events Photography
1st Hour ~ S$250.00
Subsequent Hour ~ S$150 per hour

Corporate & Advertising Shoot (Daily Basis)
Full day ranges from S$1,600 ~ S$2,800
* Depending on complexity of photoshoot & how much equipment & assistants involved

Wedding Photography Local (Daily Basis)
* 10 hours Photography Services ~ S$1800 to S$3.500 depending on how many photographers & deliverable.

For good amateurs or part-timer freelancer, take the above rates & minus 50%, but be careful you can deliver the pictures as there's no room for mistakes.

Then again, to each their own...... So if you feel you want the experience or portfolio building ... It's really up to you how much discounts you wanna give.

Hope this helps you along.

For good amateurs or part-timer freelancer, take the above rates & minus 50%, but be careful you can deliver the pictures as there's no room for mistakes.

Generally good info but don't do the "minus 50%" thing.

Instead of undercutting mo2 by 50%, I encourage all amatuers how to use that 50% value to translate to better product or better service experience for your client. Think, with that 50% extra can you rent better gear for your client? Can you buy a one time term insurance for a risky shoot? Can you hire an assistant to be more efficient? Can you spend it on a better software and give your client better post production work? Can you use better quality prints or deliverables? In the long run can you hire a designer to better built your branding that is better matching to your clients and make them proud in associating or hiring your service? You can be an amatuer and still do all that, just a smaller scale or lower volume due to your limited time as an amatuer.

FIRST thing that comes to mind should not be how to undercut in prices. We are all tired of that. Instead, why not think how you can match or even better another pro.

I said it earlier and I say again now. Pro or semi pro or amatuer, should not be an influencing factor on your price; some amatuers are better skilled that pros. Rather your price should be decided by your cost of doing business, your time, the risk you undertake, PLUS the profit you want to make on top of that.

I believe Hart is covering the details of pricing in his workshops so I won't go too much in here for now.

Last edited:
Thks bro Mo2, I just dnt want to be undercut as I got a full time job. But thks most of my lens I rent. Atleast I got the rough ideas how to charge. Equipment, skill, creative and the job challenge. Thks gurus, for those need roti prate can go to jalan kayu cheers...

Their roti prata is referring to you, one post $60/day next post $60/hour, flip here flip there, and now you ask people go Jalan Kayu for roti prata, you win lah.

$60 per day is simply ridiculous and retarded charge! $60 per hour is still way too low for ANY event! No experience, shoot RC for free if you want, D3/D4/1DSM3/1DX with not much experience is like getting a kid to shoot a M16.

come'on guys, at least he is here asking for advice. not like those faceless people undercutting here and there, give some slack la. Happy Chinese New Year!

foxtwo said:
come'on guys, at least he is here asking for advice. not like those faceless people undercutting here and there, give some slack la. Happy Chinese New Year!

+1 for this, agree.

Anyway, back to topic. I'm not sure how much is the market value now. But i do know some company asking for ~$200 per event. A one man crew with no assistant or backup photog.

Hope this helps.

Happy CNY guys.

Thks bro foxtwo. And thks for all the advise. Will take in. Whether $60 per day or per hour like what I said is better to shot photo then to shot for free. Will take some advise to attend some workshop recommended.. Shot for free is a disgrace to photographer. A photographer for me is to take shot out of the box and the skill obtain for the last few years and always learn for mistake.

Thks bro foxtwo. And thks for all the advise. Will take in. Whether $60 per day or per hour like what I said is better to shot photo then to shot for free. Will take some advise to attend some workshop recommended.. Shot for free is a disgrace to photographer. A photographer for me is to take shot out of the box and the skill obtain for the last few years and always learn for mistake.

Dun understand what you trying to put across ...

Shooting for free is no disgrace. Shooting for cheap is.

Countless photogs shoot free for themselves, for their loved ones, they might even shoot free for their friends or for companies - maybe taken advantage of, but they kept their grace becoz they took no money. Healthly or not, to shoot free for people or companies fully capable of paying decent money- is another beaten topic, let's not deviate too much.

Shooting for cheap, is another matter. It suggest you would sell your art for cheap dollars or unable to measure up your worth. I said it here and other posts before, say again now - once you charge for it, pro or amatuer makes no difference - you are measured in dollars once you bring money into the equation. It is also not healthy for the market.

Last edited:
agree with bro Jason,
and One more thing you need to take note, under the SG law; work for hired, the photographers do not own the rights of the photos once he/she is being paid, so you even only charging $1 for the shoot, you will also have to kiss good bye to your photos.
so either you shoot for FREE and keep the ownerships of all the photos, or charge a decent price for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.