Need Advise on DIY PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artosoft said:
10 more days to price-cuts.... Maybe next month if you are lucky can get price cut on SLS.

Regards,
Arto.

There is already a pre-order (40 pieces for local mkt) for the Conroe. :D You just need to know the right people.. :bsmilie:
The problem is not so much waiting for the price cut, th cut will take effect within a week or so from announcement. The problem is being able to find motherboards (in stock) that can support the Conroe when it's launched.

Firefox said:
The Conroe (Core 2 Duo) is a replacement for the current Pressler (9xxD) line. The price for it will be the new pricing when it's out. There will obviously a price cut for the Pressler line since no one will want to buy the Pressler at the same price as a Conroe.
Well.. No one except the more ignorant people who get suckered into buying cheapo package deals at SLS.
Ok, will wait, doing count down!

When Conroe is out, will the MB be very ex???

Some issues you may want to consider b4 commiting to a PC setup.

1) If you're using Adobe CS, get a dual core processor, or even better, get a multi CPU machine if you can afford it. CS runs multi threaded more efficiently on these machines.

2) If you're shooting RAW buy LOTS of RAM, recommended 2GB.

3) If you don't play games, get a good 2D graphics accelerator like the ATI firegl v3100 and calibrate it.

4) Don't bother with software RAID, get hardware RAID and create a type 1 array, type 5 if you have the money.

5) DO NOT put your OS/programs and your pics on the same hard disk array.

6) Have one more hard disk as the virtual memory disk if you can afford it.

7) Get as BIG a casing as you can stand, big casings with lots of fans are good for the health of your PC.

8) DON'T stinge on the power supply, get an accredited power supply unit which can deliver at least 480W constant. (Trust me, this is the 1st thing to die)

9) Blow you entire paycheck on a good monitor, it pays if your pics earn you a living.

DeusExMachina said:
Some issues you may want to consider b4 commiting to a PC setup.

1) If you're using Adobe CS, get a dual core processor, or even better, get a multi CPU machine if you can afford it. CS runs multi threaded more efficiently on these machines.

2) If you're shooting RAW buy LOTS of RAM, recommended 2GB.

3) If you don't play games, get a good 2D graphics accelerator like the ATI firegl v3100 and calibrate it.

4) Don't bother with software RAID, get hardware RAID and create a type 1 array, type 5 if you have the money.

5) DO NOT put your OS/programs and your pics on the same hard disk array.

6) Have one more hard disk as the virtual memory disk if you can afford it.

7) Get as BIG a casing as you can stand, big casings with lots of fans are good for the health of your PC.

8) DON'T stinge on the power supply, get an accredited power supply unit which can deliver at least 480W constant. (Trust me, this is the 1st thing to die)

9) Blow you entire paycheck on a good monitor, it pays if your pics earn you a living.
Thanks, great advises!

FireGL cannot afford lah! Out of my budget. :sweat:

DeusExMachina said:

not exactly right. multi core is infact better than multi process as the core resides on the same chip, eliminating the need for data to run across the bus channel.

but seriously, Kevin, do u consider yourself a hardcore PS'er or DI editor? create a system base on your needs.

PSU - from what i see, u do not need a 500W PSU. A 450W will b more than enough. (PUB bills aren't exactly cheap in SG)

Processor - you can wait for Core2 (Conroe) and wait for actual consumer reviews as currently, all benchmarks are done by machines setup by Intel themselves.

HDD - do away with RAID5, unless you are tell me that ur data is as important as those you find on a company's server. HDD failure isn't as frequent as it seems. Archieveing non-frequent access data to a offline storage is the best IMO.

GFX - you don't play graphics intensive games, you don't do 3DMax. you don't need state of the art graphics card. A modern card with 128/256mb ram will be good.

RAM - something you don't have to save for it. RAM is rather cheap now. Throw away OCZ/Patriot/Corsair performance RAM. Normal ram and lots of it will save your day.

hayami.wai said:
but seriously, Kevin, do u consider yourself a hardcore PS'er or DI editor? create a system base on your needs.

PSU - from what i see, u do not need a 500W PSU. A 450W will b more than enough. (PUB bills aren't exactly cheap in SG)

Processor - you can wait for Core2 (Conroe) and wait for actual consumer reviews as currently, all benchmarks are done by machines setup by Intel themselves.

HDD - do away with RAID5, unless you are tell me that ur data is as important as those you find on a company's server. HDD failure isn't as frequent as it seems. Archieveing non-frequent access data to a offline storage is the best IMO.

GFX - you don't play graphics intensive games, you don't do 3DMax. you don't need state of the art graphics card. A modern card with 128/256mb ram will be good.

RAM - something you don't have to save for it. RAM is rather cheap now. Throw away OCZ/Patriot/Corsair performance RAM. Normal ram and lots of it will save your day.
No lah! Not a hardcore PS'er or DI editor. Only use PS occassionally. Mainly capture video from camcorder and encode into MPEG2/4 to cut into DVD. Suppose to edit the AVI file and do some transition 1st but always no time. I only interested in Raid 0 if it give faster/better transfer rate. I kept all my MiniDV tapes as source in the dry cabinet. So HDD crash still OK.

Fuwell pricing only has Cooler Master Extreme 430W PS, will that be good enough or must get at least 450W?

Yah, looking at 256MB for my GFX will do. Since the PowerColor X1600 Pro 256MB and 512MB is only diff of $20, thot of getting the 512MB version. Any performance diff?

Yup, going for 2GB RAM.

Bro. If u r getting ATI 1600 pro, get the one with DDR 3 256MB (some call it 1600XT) instead of DDR2 512MB. A bit more expensive though.. It will be significantly faster.

For Power supply, get Antec one instead of CM. For same amount of power, Antec ones are heavier which means better. It is generally true for PC power supplies. Ofcoz, a bit more ex. CM ones come with 3 years warranty. Antec ones 3 or 5 years. Can't remember..

For hardisks, get those with 16MB cache. U may consider seagate ones as they come with 5 years warranty. A bit more ex but worth it. Harddisk and CD/Dvd burners usually fails earlier than other PC components.

Since ur not hardcore gammer, i would recommend Viewsonic VP920b for LCD. Guranteed. U won't regret.

PC 5400 Corsair DDR2 675 CL4 is recommended for RAM.

Fuwell Videopro and Hardware Place are my favourite shops. At fuwell, many of the items in the pricelist can be bargained for a few dollars to tens.

Ur budget should be over 2000 already liao...:sweat: :sweat:

Hope some of my info helps..

mtunlinn said:
Bro. If u r getting ATI 1600 pro, get the one with DDR 3 256MB (some call it 1600XT) instead of DDR2 512MB. A bit more expensive though.. It will be significantly faster.

For Power supply, get Antec one instead of CM. For same amount of power, Antec ones are heavier which means better. It is generally true for PC power supplies. Ofcoz, a bit more ex. CM ones come with 3 years warranty. Antec ones 3 or 5 years. Can't remember..

For hardisks, get those with 16MB cache. U may consider seagate ones as they come with 5 years warranty. A bit more ex but worth it. Harddisk and CD/Dvd burners usually fails earlier than other PC components.

Since ur not hardcore gammer, i would recommend Viewsonic VP920b for LCD. Guranteed. U won't regret.

PC 5400 Corsair DDR2 675 CL4 is recommended for RAM.

Fuwell Videopro and Hardware Place are my favourite shops. At fuwell, many of the items in the pricelist can be bargained for a few dollars to tens.

Ur budget should be over 2000 already liao...:sweat: :sweat:

Hope some of my info helps..
Thanks Bro,

Ok lah, if XT is much faster then I will go for it. If Antec PS better, also go for it.

HDD, yup will get the 16MB type.

Already have a LCD so will give it a miss until my old one breakdown, hehe! Will take not of this VP920.

Fuwell, Videopro and Hardware Place are my favourite shops. Which one better than the other 2 ah? So Fuwell has the MB I want. Their shop in Funan don't look so friendly leh???

Look at my latest budget, really sweat ah!!! :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Just see which item is cheaper in which shop.. Don't forget to bargain at Fuwell too. Just a reminder, patriot rams got some compatibility issues with some MBs although they are cheaper.. You won't go wrong with Coasiar or Kingston ones.

For CPU price of 930, IMHO it will be cheaper max of 70 bucks only. U decide it is worth the wait. For me 40 bucks also worth the wait. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Cheers..

Kevin said:
Hi Everyone,

I am confused leh??? thot the annoucement is this Friday but ZDnet said 27 July leh!!! :dunno:

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/hardware/0,39042972,39374428,00.htm

10 more days or so is for those who pre-ordered (limited to about 40 pieces in Singapore). Price-cuts should be announced around this weekend. Official launch for the Conroe is 27th.

mtunlinn said:
Just see which item is cheaper in which shop.. Don't forget to bargain at Fuwell too. Just a reminder, patriot rams got some compatibility issues with some MBs although they are cheaper.. You won't go wrong with Coasiar or Kingston ones.

For CPU price of 930, IMHO it will be cheaper max of 70 bucks only. U decide it is worth the wait. For me 40 bucks also worth the wait. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Cheers..
Wah u mean 930 can drop from S$300 to S$70 then definitely worth the wait. Even drop S$70 also worth the wait lor!

I plan to get everything from one shop as I don't know how to put them together. :embrass:

Coasiar or Kingston is fine with me!

Firefox said:
10 more days or so is for those who pre-ordered (limited to about 40 pieces in Singapore). Price-cuts should be announced around this weekend. Official launch for the Conroe is 27th.
OIC, now I have clearer picture, thanks. So price cut can happen B4 the official launch! That is good, hopefully can get it next week. :)

Kevin said:
OIC, now I have clearer picture, thanks. So price cut can happen B4 the official launch! That is good, hopefully can get it next week. :)

Well, you gotta drop the price on older processors before launching a new series or you'd be hard pressed to sell off your old-stock ay?

Look like no price cut last weekend (according to Fuwell price list). :cry:

But, :eek:

I am glad you all have asked me to wait. :thumbsup:

I am going to get the new cpu!!! :sweatsm:

The E6300/6400 look good also and within my budget. Dunno how much the MB going to cost! Sad thing is I can't get my PC these 2 weeks then.

Anyway, my boss suddenly line up few business trips for me. I have to go HK then Jia Xing in China another week. I have lot of preparation to do B4 I go, so no time for PC now until end of August.

So probably get it in September then. Hopefully supply is there by then. Thanks everyone for your advises and tips. Feel free to update here the pricing movement of the new Intel cpu and MB.

Thanks again!!! :)

Andy Ang said:
Ya, get the new Nikon Camera in HK, then come back sell.
huh! HK cheapper ah? Then don't mind to get the 18mm-200mm Nikon lens. But, problem is, I don't know how to check lens leh! :embrass:

Kevin said:
huh! HK cheapper ah? Then don't mind to get the 18mm-200mm Nikon lens. But, problem is, I don't know how to check lens leh! :embrass:

Lens is covered by international warranty. Don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.