Need advise on Beginner SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Hi Folks,
I plan to upgrade myself to proper photography using a DSLR since I have somewhat mastered the basics using a point and shoot sony digicam. As it will be my first SLR I think I wont go for a brand new one but just start myself on a second hand one. I intend to use it for more plane spotting :D

I am looking at the following DSLRs and would like your comments on them.

Minolta 7Hi @ $600 in clubsnap b&s (stnd pkge + with lots extra of stuff)

Panasonic FZ10 @ $600 in clubsnap b&s (stnd pkge + with uv filter & 64mb sdcard) -> I dont think this can be considered a DSLR. Am I right? More like a souped up compact.

Canon Powershot G5 @ $600 in hwzone (stnd pkge + extra batt)

Which seems to be a better deal? Thanks alot.

Klose said:
Hi Folks,
I plan to upgrade myself to proper photography using a DSLR since I have somewhat mastered the basics using a point and shoot sony digicam. As it will be my first SLR I think I wont go for a brand new one but just start myself on a second hand one. I intend to use it for more plane spotting :D

I am looking at the following DSLRs and would like your comments on them.

Minolta 7Hi @ $600 in clubsnap b&s (stnd pkge + with lots extra of stuff)

Panasonic FZ10 @ $600 in clubsnap b&s (stnd pkge + with uv filter & 64mb sdcard) -> I dont think this can be considered a DSLR. Am I right? More like a souped up compact.

Canon Powershot G5 @ $600 in hwzone (stnd pkge + extra batt)

Which seems to be a better deal? Thanks alot.

Sorry to break this to you, but those you had mentioned are not DSLR. Just like your digicam, they are still compact. Only SLR Like compact, that's about all.

If you wanted to understand SLR, I suggested you get a real SLR.

blurblock said:
Sorry to break this to you, but those you had mentioned are not DSLR. Just like your digicam, they are still compact. Only SLR Like compact, that's about all.

If you wanted to understand SLR, I suggested you get a real SLR.

yup the post waas done some what in a rush... I just spent the last 20mins searching the net and realised none of these were DSLRs just souped up compacts :bsmilie: thanks for the reply anyway :)

Get a cheap $250 EOS 5, mid-level class SLR camera with spot-metering. Where to find? Buy and Sell now. Add a $140 50/1.8 you get a very good metering SLR with low light len. Want to really learn exposure? Shoot slide, even less forgiving than digital. DSLR is not that affordable to you it seems with the price range of cameras you thinking to buy.

theITguy said:
Get a cheap $250 EOS 5, mid-level class SLR camera with spot-metering. Where to find? Buy and Sell now. Add a $140 50/1.8 you get a very good metering SLR with low light len. Want to really learn exposure? Shoot slide, even less forgiving than digital. DSLR is not that affordable to you it seems with the price range of cameras you thinking to buy.

Yup the DSLRs are way beyond my budget :bsmilie: Have to say NSFs arent paid very well :dunno: My only bother is for SLRs I have to scan the pictures back to the computer. Oh well. I will take you advise and have alook at those SLRs in B&S

If you shoot slides, it's not necessary to scan them back into the computer to appreciate them. A cheap lightbox + loupe is enough.

If you live in Clementi/Sunset Way area, you can try Grace Digital Labs; Simon charges $2.50/roll scanning from negative to CD + $3/roll processing fee. Bring your own CD-R to save on the additional $1 CD cost.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=49923

i normally shoot with film, send to lab to scan into cd. then post process fr computer, and print i one i like only.

Looks like we got chance to convert one from digital to film :devil:

Hehe, just joking. If you adjust to your camera fast you can start shooting slide after a few rolls of negative (neg gives better exposure error margin). Shoot $3 Superia 100 negative and get them developed and scanned, all just under $10 per roll, pretty nice. Then print only those you really want to print.

Sometime depend on how much interest you have. If you just want to try, it can be a expensive experience and ended up you might not like it. If you are sure that your interest will last and if you started something too limited, you might spend more money investing in better equipment for example. In a nutshell, quality len is the key hardware to produce quality result. Brand is more depending on personal chemistry. As for options, you will always get accessaries for major brands. Apart from that, many independent makers will produce their own version such as delicated flash, lens so nothing much to worry. These manufacturers still produce new FD len, OM mount, M42 even their body manufacturers already upgraded to newer technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.