need advise on 70-200 f2.8 lenses

Gikens

Jun 22, 2011
hey people, I tot of getting a 70-200 f2.8 lenses for my D600. I m looking at nikon, tamron n sigma. of coz I know nikon is the best choice apart frm the pricing. wat abt tamron n sigma? I did Google for the reviews on both 3rd party lenses but it getting me confuse. would like to know did anyone try both lenses before? any reviews or advise frm anyone here in clubsnap. tks.

Have the 70-200 f4 and the 2.8, f4 sharper than 2.8. My go to telephoto lens now.

Tried the sigma 70-200, you are better off waiting for the sports or art range to come out . the EX body is prone to rot in tropical weather. Seems like they are doing wonders with their new line up. No idea about the Tamron.

If you are just a hobbyists, just go for the one u can afford. If you shoot raw and post process your photos, the difference would b insignificant.

If you are a pro, get the best one that is offered.

I did Google for the reviews on both 3rd party lenses but it getting me confuse.
What exactly confuses you? Which reviews have you read? We recommend dpreview.com and photozone.de. Important are knowledge and controlled conditions to review a lens.
We are mostly hobbyists here, you will get answers from people having either of the three lenses but not two or all. So how do you want to compare now these highly biased and personal opinions? Back to the above.

Last edited:
hey people, I tot of getting a 70-200 f2.8 lenses for my D600. I m looking at nikon, tamron n sigma. of coz I know nikon is the best choice apart frm the pricing. wat abt tamron n sigma? I did Google for the reviews on both 3rd party lenses but it getting me confuse. would like to know did anyone try both lenses before? any reviews or advise frm anyone here in clubsnap. tks.

I have tried out the Sigma OS before and almost bought it. In the end I went for the Nikon VR2. Best decision I ever made.

BTW, the Sigma OS's performance is similar to Nikon VR1. But Sigma has no focus limiter, plus when you reverse the hood, there is no way you can zoom.

Since you are looking at Nikon, Tamron and Sigma... I would assume that all three fit into your budget... if that was the case... get the Nikon. From what I know... the Nikon would have better VR, better optical quality (not sure if Sigma is coming out with its new series of lens that would include the 70-200mm or not), better AF speed and accuracy (I believe). Although more expensive... and it is up to you if the Nikon is worth that much.

TS. Just get the best one you can afford. The f4 one is worth considering. My experience is, we all have a tendency that we will keep looking for a better lens and will buy and sell a number of times unless you have bought the best out there.

I love the f4 over f2.8! :)

if money is not an issue, home brand is the best :bsmilie: Tamron's newer 70-200 VC version seems good as well in terms of specs and worth checking it out if you are on a budget although I have never owned one before.

if money is not an issue, home brand is the best :bsmilie: Tamron's newer 70-200 VC version seems good as well in terms of specs and worth checking it out if you are on a budget although I have never owned one before.

tks. I did look at the newer tamron. as for budget.. I can still afford the nikon 2.8 but nothing left after buying it. tat the reason I m looking at a 3rd party so tat I can used the balance to buy other camera stuffs.:)

The confusion may stem from the fact that there are so many different versions of the same type of lens from the different makes.

I think a good starting point will be to understand the latest versions of each make, then decide if you need to go for the older (thereby cheaper, generally speaking) versions.

In general, the newer lenses are superior over the older lenses, and thus, you usually cannot go wrong with the newer models. However, if you truly wish to know more, that's when real learning takes place.

Versions of 70-200 range lenses (from oldest to newest)

Nikon
80-200 AF push pull
80-200 AF-D push pull
80-200 AF-D two touch
80-200 AF-S
70-200 VR
70-200 VR2
70-200/4 VR

Sigma
70-200mm F2.8 EX APO
70-200mm F2.8 EX DG
70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro (HSM)
70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II
70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Tamron
Tamron SP AF 70-200 mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD

Tokina
Tokina AT-X 828 AF PRO 80-200mm f/2.8

Last edited:
Tried Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and f4, as well as Sigma 70-200 f2.8.

Decision is to buy 70-200 f4. Lighter, and pricing wise, within budget $1.6k + filter, about $1.7k.
Plus along some other testing.

If in doubt, can always do rental, or find someone who own such lenses to try. Photography trip or group outing, can just borrow, i believe most of the photographer are willingly to let you test the lens, if it is for just like 15-20mins.

3rd party can never be as good.

Otherwise many Leica users would be using Tamron lenses. (did you know Tamron Adaptall2 had a Leica R mount adapter?)

best lens only as good as operator skill

I bought the Nikon 70-200mm VR2 and never looked back. I could still put a 2x teleconverter and use that to take wildlife life (which I did in Alaska, and Finland). While that is a "compromised" setup but to get a lens longer than that is a no-go due to the pricing of those lens.

thanks for all the reply, feedback and advise. I have bought the newer tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc usd after trying with nikon. the picture quality is as good as nikon (personal point of view) VC is good too. the only things that lose out to nikon is the focusing speed but it still acceptable for my kind of shooting and the price is $1k cheaper than nikon. I will recommend to those ppl who need to buy a 70-200 f2.8 and at the same time need to save that $1k.

thanks for all the reply, feedback and advise. I have bought the newer tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc usd after trying with nikon. the picture quality is as good as nikon (personal point of view) VC is good too. the only things that lose out to nikon is the focusing speed but it still acceptable for my kind of shooting and the price is $1k cheaper than nikon. I will recommend to those ppl who need to buy a 70-200 f2.8 and at the same time need to save that $1k.

Hi Gikens, where did you get the newer Tamron 70-200 VC USD? What's the price? I'm also looking to buy that lens.

Please PM.

Hi Gikens, where did you get the newer Tamron 70-200 VC USD? What's the price? I'm also looking to buy that lens.

Please PM.

sry.. for the late reply. I get it from my friend shop in town area. I get it at ard $1900 +