Need advise on 2nd hand lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwvaz

Sep 19, 2007
CCK
Hi all,

I planning to buy 2nd hand lens, Canon EF 70-300mm (with IS & USM). Im currently, using Canon 400D with kit lens EF 18-55mm.

Im oso considering of 3rd party lens eg. Tamron or Tokina lens, but I gathered from the forum that these lens doesnt have IS. So I have some reservation on getting that lens. Pls advise me if Im wrong and wat is other alternatives.

I noticed that presently 2nd hand Canon EF 70-300mm lens (WITHOUT IS & USM) is selling between $200-250. Is it worth to buy?
Is it better to buy this zoom lens with IS and USM capabilities?

Pls advise ....Thank you in advance..

Tamron makes a number of superzoom lenses. You can check out 18-270. It has a lens stabiliser in built.

If you have shaky hands, then it might be advisable to get IS. IS can also be useful in low light conditions. But IS does not prevent subject-motion blur.

USM is not a must, but like IS, it's good to have.

Either you get the 70-300 IS USM or get the efs 55-250 IS. Don't bother with the EF 70-300 neat.

Also, BNS you'd get more of the 55-250 now i guess.. Also, if anybody you know is buying the 40D, can tup and maybe the pay the guy a bit and ask him to get the dual kit lens so that you can get a brand new 55-250.

Tamron makes a number of superzoom lenses. You can check out 18-270. It has a lens stabiliser in built.

If you have shaky hands, then it might be advisable to get IS. IS can also be useful in low light conditions. But IS does not prevent subject-motion blur.

USM is not a must, but like IS, it's good to have.

How much does Tamron 18-270mm cost? and any good lobang selling Tamron lens?

How much does Tamron 18-270mm cost? and any good lobang selling Tamron lens?
It's a very new lens. Not sure if they will be 2nd hand sets now. Check out the Buy&Sell section here. Probably around 800 for new set.

my personal experience was that I got lots of dust and particles in my Canon EOS 50D sensor and at the rear lens when I interchanged between my Canon EF-S IS 18-55mm, to Sigma 70-300mm(no USM or IS).

Include the trouble of changing, and the risk of missing great shots while your changing, it's surely better to get a better range zoom lens like Canon EF-S IS 18-200mm, or 28-300 (3rd party brands if you have a tighter budget).

I got loads of shaky shots with Sigma 70-300mm, so have to lug my tripod around when shooting until I can save up enough for my ideal 18-200mm IS lens...sigh

But I think the Tamron 18-270 should be a great lens to have...hmmm...

Hope my own experience is useful to your decision :)

I noticed that presently 2nd hand Canon EF 70-300mm lens (WITHOUT IS & USM) is selling between $200-250. Is it worth to buy?

Nope, not worth. I read that you get it for $59 in Mustafa, new item.
From my experience it's not a really good lens, rather below average. You need f/8 to get sharp images >200mm, you will need a bright day or tripod. CA are very obvious in harsh light. 55-250IS is definitely a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.