Need advise...: Need a flash but not sure which brand suits my DSLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouette

Apr 7, 2009
Hi .. I just bought a DSLR Nikon D90 but not sure which flash should i go for... :)

Hi .. I just bought a DSLR Nikon D90 but not sure which flash should i go for... :)
how much power you need and how much you willing to pay.

Just get the run-of-the-mill SB 900.
I think u'll worry about how to use it instead of which to buy after you get ur hands on it.

Regards

Stick to Nikon flashes... much safer.

And you can probably start off with a SB-600 if you're not a heavy user.

ya.... since TS owns a D90, it is already AWL-capable as a commander. So using SB600 as a remote flash will be quite fun.
SB600 is useful as a more powerful on-board flash and for bounce at all sorts of weird angles etc, and as a remote flash on the AWL system.

later when you want MORE power, you can add on an SB800/900.

But it all depends on your budget of course! :)
SB600 is about $350+ new i think, but can be had for under $300 if you don't mind 2nd hand.

Yupz, start off with the SB600. Unless TS instantly want more power then the SB900. Cost of a new SB900 = ard 2 SB600 if i'm not wrong. :)

just get the SB900, save the trouble and money as you dun have to upgrade it for the next 2-4 years.

Sb900 on a D90?
Depends how much budget you have. Personally the SB600 is more then enough since you don't even know what brand of flash to get like you stated in the title.
If you shoot events then the SB800 or SB900 would be better. If you just shoot for the fun of it, then you won't go wrong with any of them.
But if your really tight on budget, there's always 3rd party flashes like nissin or tumax. (IF your seriously tight :p)

Sb900 on a D90?
Depends how much budget you have. Personally the SB600 is more then enough since you don't even know what brand of flash to get like you stated in the title.
If you shoot events then the SB800 or SB900 would be better. If you just shoot for the fun of it, then you won't go wrong with any of them.
But if your really tight on budget, there's always 3rd party flashes like nissin or tumax. (IF your seriously tight :p)

May I ask if it does apply to D40x too?
Anw, tumax is really good. Gosh I saw the wireless distance then it can go, it is really damn far!

Stick to Nikon. It won't go wrong.

All you need to do is figure out which model to get. I would say, depends on your budget. Get the best you can afford.

May I ask if it does apply to D40x too?
Anw, tumax is really good. Gosh I saw the wireless distance then it can go, it is really damn far!

I'm not sure if the D40x has the Built in CLS commander. But yea, the Sb800 or SB900 to me would be over kill for the D40x

The D40/x/60/5000 does not have a built in wireless commander mode for the speedlights

we are already skewing off topic. TS owns a D90.

Anyway I continue this off-topic discussion.
If you own a D40 and SB800, you still can't do AWL. So in terms of remote capability, buying SB600 or 800/900 makes no diff to a D40 owner.
You need an SB800/900 mounted on-camera as a master flash, and then SB 6/8/900 as a remote. So which one you buy first depends on budget and power required.

using of sb900 either on D40/D40X/D60/D90/D80 will not be an overkill, in fact, you can cut down your cost without having to upgrade to it in future.

Yes...
SB800/900 is an overkill for DXX series is akin to DXX series should stick to lens without the golden ring.
Take it a bit further, based on our level of skills, alot of us would most prob need a D40 only then...

This forum is getting amusing. =)

Regards

I highly suggest to use SB600. Firstly is lighter and smaller compare to SB900. Secondly I am selling it ;p. So if interested pm me.

SB600 is a good start. Easy to use and small. Cheap too. I'm really not happy with the way Nikon upsized the SB900.

Well bigger is better lol...
Sadly its the same for the price tag :(

Go for the SB600.. Its a great flash. I'm still using it.
And if you do upgrade, keep it. Get another Sb800 or Sb900 then you can fire the SB600 off camera and have more fun with lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.