Need advise in deciding on car to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

photobeginner

Mar 2, 2004
I would like to gather some information from car lovers in singapore. Which car would be a better model to consider for? Lancer or Civic? (Cos going to buy soon but couldn't decide)

What I'm particular about is the power of the car, the comfortability & the pros & cons for each car.

Would be glad if there's any particular url which I can get info of such comparison for cars so that I can make a decision. :)

Would like to obtain some opinions from everyone here hoping to get good advices, thanks.

photobeginner said:
I would like to gather some information from car lovers in singapore. Which car would be a better model to consider for? Lancer or Civic? (Cos going to buy soon but couldn't decide)

What I'm particular about is the power of the car, the comfortability & the pros & cons for each car.

Would be glad if there's any particular url which I can get info of such comparison for cars so that I can make a decision. :)

Would like to obtain some opinions from everyone here hoping to get good advices, thanks.

Hi photobeginner,

Reading abt the car is one thing, i.e. specs, performance, etc. You didn't say if you've visited the showrooms. If you've not, I'd suggest you do that. Sit in the car, adjust the seat to your driving position (provided it's not an electric seat whose power supply has been disconnected) to feel the car while it's stationary.

Then go for a test drive. Car reviews are rather subjective because the assessors are humans too. What may feel good to one person may not feel similar to you. IMHO, only then can you make an educated choice rather than reply solely on what others have to say abt a certain car.

Are you buying new or used? Not that it really matters - just go for a test drive. It's between you and your final choice of car; reviews are meant to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I could give you a laundry list of the pros and cons for the Lancer and Civic but I believe you'd end up getting more confused and hence feeling frustrated - because it's Hewland who's forming opinions on the car when it's photobeginner who is buying and, more importantly, using it.

Ask yourself your likes and dislikes abt the Lancer and Civic. Makes a list of both likes and dislikes. It could be: Like - powerful engine. Dislike - boot too small for photo equipment. When it comes to that, you have to make a decision which you value more.

Buying a car is an emotional purchase. When, at the end of the day, your emotions start to sway in favour of your choice, that's your answer.

Hope that helps. :) Happy shopping!

Hewland

i'm a noob lar. but i were u, LANCER ANYTIME! :bsmilie:

You will be suprise by Suzuki IGNIS Sport. Check it out. Weight of car and engine power are well balanced to give that vroom you want.

Thanks Hewland,

Great effort :thumbsup: of you to tell me so much & it's been nice reading the advice given by you. No doubt I'll be going for a new car & will be going to the showroom.

Cos the quesiton has been bugging me as in, I can't really decide much for Lancer & Civic as the latter cost $8K more. I'm wondering if a Lancer would be good enough compared to a Civic. Netherless, would like to know more of it etc as what I know from photography is something:

1.) Canon Powershot A70 - $599
2.) Canon Ixus 400 - $799

Although the Canon Ixus 400 costs more than the A70, settings cannot be changed for the Ixus 400 as most functions are automated. But for the A70, aperture speed & some other settings can be changed (hope I'm not wrong) Bad thing is that A70 is only a bit bulkier than Ixus 400.

Hm... hope the comparison is kinda clear for what I want. Which is for Lancer & Civic, maintenance wise, durability of the car (cos I don't really like driving at fast speed, normally drive at 80km/hr, max 100km/hr)

Netherless, I thank you for your advice again, it's been good info to me.

(If I was thinking of toyota corolla, cedric or crown... it would have been much easier. haha!)

Hewland said:
Hi photobeginner,

Reading abt the car is one thing, i.e. specs, performance, etc. You didn't say if you've visited the showrooms. If you've not, I'd suggest you do that. Sit in the car, adjust the seat to your driving position (provided it's not an electric seat whose power supply has been disconnected) to feel the car while it's stationary.

Then go for a test drive. Car reviews are rather subjective because the assessors are humans too. What may feel good to one person may not feel similar to you. IMHO, only then can you make an educated choice rather than reply solely on what others have to say abt a certain car.

Are you buying new or used? Not that it really matters - just go for a test drive. It's between you and your final choice of car; reviews are meant to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I could give you a laundry list of the pros and cons for the Lancer and Civic but I believe you'd end up getting more confused and hence feeling frustrated - because it's Hewland who's forming opinions on the car when it's photobeginner who is buying and, more importantly, using it.

Ask yourself your likes and dislikes abt the Lancer and Civic. Makes a list of both likes and dislikes. It could be: Like - powerful engine. Dislike - boot too small for photo equipment. When it comes to that, you have to make a decision which you value more.

Buying a car is an emotional purchase. When, at the end of the day, your emotions start to sway in favour of your choice, that's your answer.

Hope that helps. :) Happy shopping!

Hewland

Thanks IceCoolBeer,

I'll check it out on the price & the vehicle itself at the showroom too. :) Given me more options.

IceCoolBeer said:
You will be suprise by Suzuki IGNIS Sport. Check it out. Weight of car and engine power are well balanced to give that vroom you want.

choose the one with better service lor. :bsmilie:

you must see what kinda of person you are. If you are a visual person, just choose the car that look nicer to you.

Since you say you are not going to drive fast, engine performance will not be an issue to you.

Choose the comfort level, the automated features, extra goodies you'll get, the car that have more specs. Then of course the price.

Through some showroom price anomaly, the Lancer costs less than its little brother the Colt the last I looked.

Anyhow, have a look at the scrap values of the Lancer versus the Civic (not only the selling price). I don't have figures handy but the Civic seems to have a higher scrap value (which partially negates the $8000 difference).

Why you should go for a Civic: VTEC (though it is much neutered compared to the EG and EK versions), strong brakes, flat rear floor is great for rear seat passengers, great fuel economy if you're not on the hot cam all the time.

Cons of a Civic: Cost, relatively poor sound insulation at three-digit speeds.

The Lancer's used to have a split-fold rear seat, may be great for you if you carry big loads often. Fuel consumption runs on the high side, power seems a little down compared to the Civic. Service at Mitsubishi's Ayer Rajah service centre is terrible compared to Honda's. You had to wait a couple of hours just to check your car in for service. Don't know if they'd already changed the service; they should, really. Build quality on my brother's 3 year old Lancer wasn't fantastic, by the 2 year mark the rubber on the door seals were coming undone.

First hand comments from my brother who drove a '00 Lancer GLXi and changed to a '03 Civic VTi.

The Civic may cost more to buy, but over the long run, may save you a lot at the petrol station (600+km vs 500km per tank). A quick look at the Car Classifieds might clue you in that Hondas have stronger resale value.

Personally I feel the current-shape Civic looks very nice compared to the goofy looking Lancer, Evo-lookalike aspirations aside. A set of alloys would set off the Civic's grille and lights very well.

OT: The BAR Honda team is doing really well on the F1 circuit, and giving the Ferrari team a run for their money too!

Do consider the Toyota Altis...same price range and spacious compared to lancer....hugs the road very well when negotiating bends...liked wad most have said...do go for test drive to see which one u like...

if you look at $$ then get a second hand car. have you factored in absolute interest when calculating cost of ownership? a lot of people forgot to do that.

last time in camp they keep saying hyndai is "value for money"..dunno whether true or not? :think: ..but thing is, quite of a few of the regulars in camp went for it..so u may like to check out the hyundai matrix? mmm then maybe u will look like army regular ...keke :)

Hi photobeginner,

I agree with r32's comment. However,you should visit the showroom to make your choice.

6 months back I was also in your shoes. However, I finally chose the Civic as I like the POWER. The Lancer is still using CVT technology. Not that it is not good but it doesn't give the instant gear shift/ power that I want.There is short power lag when I pressed hard on gas pedal.

The Civic has a higher OMV compared to the Lancer. About 17-18k compared to 12-14k. Hence the diff in price and scrap value.

The Lancer package includes the OZ sport rims, spoilers and fog lights while you have to pay extra if you opt for Civic.

My Civic gives me about 12.7-14km /liter so about 580-600+km per full tank.
The rear flat floor is a big plus if you often bring your family out.

Sound insulation? No problem la. I have done some sound insulation on my car and can also recommend you a friend who does it part time. COst will depend on the material that you want to use. From cheap bitumen to imported sound proof material. If you want cheap and don mind them taking parts of your new car out then it wont cost more than $200.

According to my friend, Hondas have better sound insulation than other makes as he has done quite some installation.

Current Civics have been facelifted too.

Happy buying.

photobeginner said:
Thanks Hewland,

Great effort :thumbsup: of you to tell me so much & it's been nice reading the advice given by you. No doubt I'll be going for a new car & will be going to the showroom.

Cos the quesiton has been bugging me as in, I can't really decide much for Lancer & Civic as the latter cost $8K more. I'm wondering if a Lancer would be good enough compared to a Civic. Netherless, would like to know more of it etc as what I know from photography is something:

1.) Canon Powershot A70 - $599
2.) Canon Ixus 400 - $799

Although the Canon Ixus 400 costs more than the A70, settings cannot be changed for the Ixus 400 as most functions are automated. But for the A70, aperture speed & some other settings can be changed (hope I'm not wrong) Bad thing is that A70 is only a bit bulkier than Ixus 400.

Hm... hope the comparison is kinda clear for what I want. Which is for Lancer & Civic, maintenance wise, durability of the car (cos I don't really like driving at fast speed, normally drive at 80km/hr, max 100km/hr)

Netherless, I thank you for your advice again, it's been good info to me.

(If I was thinking of toyota corolla, cedric or crown... it would have been much easier. haha!)

Photobeginner,

You're most welcome. Sounds like you're sensible and law-abiding based on your mentioned max speed - either the Lancer or Civic should serve you well in terms of fuel economy and reliability. To be honest I've neither driven the latest Lancer nor Civic but I do believe they'll get you fuss free from A-B. Either car should be trouble-free and maintenance during the warranty period will be taken care of by the dealer anyway.

You can't go wrong with the Corolla too. I'm a sucker for Toyota - my first car was a Camry and I loved it.

If you're happy with spending $8000 more for the Civic, go for it. Or if you feel better with $8000 in your pocket and that the Lancer will serve your intended purposes just as well, go for it.

Pls feel free to ask me any question you might have :)

Hewland

the lancer's a boring car. only 75hp. civic is singapore's most accident prone car and that's why the insurance is so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.