Need advise from pros on selling stock to Getty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winters

Apr 23, 2004
I thinking of selling stock pictures to Getty Images. However, my photo contain candid shots of strangers on streets. I wonder if I'd be sued or anything from the "model" in the photo. I heard we need something called model release form.

Any advise from the pros out there?

Yes, you do need a release from the models. In fact, you need seperate releases when you are photographing children or at a private property. The process can be complicated. You may land up in court if you are not careful, especially in Singapore.

For your information I shoot for Getty. Tips: The most profitable images on Getty now are those of Indians. Why Indians? Because India is going to be the next economy superpower. Even China is making ties with them now.

really? so if no release is obtained, on what grounds (ie what's the cause of action) can the "models" take action against you?

photopurist said:
Yes, you do need a release from the models. In fact, you need seperate releases when you are photographing children or at a private property. The process can be complicated. You may land up in court if you are not careful, especially in Singapore.

what are "separate releases"?

photopurist said:
In fact, you need seperate releases when you are photographing children or at a private property.

Winters said:
I thinking of selling stock pictures to Getty Images. However, my photo contain candid shots of strangers on streets. I wonder if I'd be sued or anything from the "model" in the photo. I heard we need something called model release form.

If you don't have the appropriate model releases your shot(s) will be rejected by any agency that's reputable. It's as simple as that. See elsewhere on the CS forums for indepth discussion of model releases and copyright issues.

Whilst there is probably no cause of action for the "model" to sue you as far as Singapore laws go, as Ian said, some stock companys (especially those of US origin and who operate under the misunderstanding that US laws applies worldwide) will insist on a model release before accepting your images.

Ian said:
If you don't have the appropriate model releases your shot(s) will be rejected by any agency that's reputable. It's as simple as that. See elsewhere on the CS forums for indepth discussion of model releases and copyright issues.

Winters said:

Status
Not open for further replies.