Need advise for Pentax DA* 300

Sorry Ken...Getting a bit old...cannot remember the exact price. It was fairly good if I recalled maybe 20K Yen (est). It was pointed out by another pentaxian (who I also cannot remember) in a thread here some months back . Darn memory is really failing.

Tried it with manual lens K300f4 and also K55f1.8. Even tried it with DA55-300mm. It worked for this lens.

How does the K300f4 + 1.7x combo perform ?

The Pentax 1.7x TC works on any K mount lens and works best with F/4.5 or faster lens. It works with DA*300, however there is no screw drive AF and SDM. Just switch the lens to MF, do a MF to focus close on the subject, half press shutter and the Pentax 1.7x TC will do the focus on the subject.

Thanks istDeS,
So the Pentax TC 1.7x works with AF but the SDM may not work?

Sorry Ken...Getting a bit old...cannot remember the exact price. It was fairly good if I recalled maybe 20K Yen (est). It was pointed out by another pentaxian (who I also cannot remember) in a thread here some months back . Darn memory is really failing.

Tried it with manual lens K300f4 and also K55f1.8. Even tried it with DA55-300mm. It worked for this lens.

Anyway hte curent price is more important.
Seems not bad, the TC even works with DA55-300mm ;p

This is the thread.... the price has since gone up by 1/3... you may need to pay gst if you ship it over.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629444

Thanks snapnut for the link. It's very helpful. :cool:
The pics posted by pinholecam shows that the diff in IQA is not really much, quite good.
Really envy you guys for getting so cheap. :)

From the thread, the kenko 1.5x is another good alternative.

How does the K300f4 + 1.7x combo perform ?

It AF lock pretty OK for this combo. But I have yet to learn to use it well yet. Did not have much time to play around with it.

Needs tripod ring to keep it steady...but the K300 does not come with one. Had to pad-up one of those ebay type to use.

It AF lock pretty OK for this combo. But I have yet to learn to use it well yet. Did not have much time to play around with it.

Needs tripod ring to keep it steady...but the K300 does not come with one. Had to pad-up one of those ebay type to use.

What's your F stop after coupled with this TC?
If used with F4, the F stop will drop 1.5 stops = F6.7? :think:

I do not really know..What I have read it the internet is that it is x1.7. As what you shown.

The K300 is m-type...so can't read it from the EXIF.

Thanks istDeS,
So the Pentax TC 1.7x works with AF but the SDM may not work?

NO! The Pentax 1.7x TC does not pass the AF to the lens. This Pentax 1.7x TC have moving elements so when you half press the shutter button, the lens elements in the TC moves to focus on the subject. Unless you shoot at infinity or else for closer distance you need to turn the distance ring on the lens nearer to the subject for the TC to enagage focus.

When coupled with the TC, the 300mm f/4 lens becomes a 510mm f/6.7 lens and you need to manually input the focal length for SR in the menu. Since the menu don't have 510mm focal length, just set to 500mm in the menu.