need advise for night portrait..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wing oscar

Dec 14, 2006
新加坡
hi guys,

i need some advise for night portrait shooting... i'm using D40 with SB 600... what r the things i should take note of it.. i know if i use flash the background will b bitch dark, so how should i over come the problem...

thank alot... :)

hi guys,

i need some advise for night portrait shooting... i'm using D40 with SB 600... what r the things i should take note of it.. i know if i use flash the background will b bitch dark, so how should i over come the problem...

thank alot... :)

Use tripod and set to around 2 sec exposure.

Your D40 has a night portrait mode. Just switch to that.

use rear curtain on ur flash.

rear curtain?? sorry can tell me more mah... =)

Use tripod and set to around 2 sec exposure.

hmmm... okie i will try... =)

Your D40 has a night portrait mode. Just switch to that.

so easy ar... can i want use manual mode...? =)

sorry if i didn't state clearly... i'm refering outdoor night portrait shooting... so my ISO need to set to 400 - 800 izit?? :cry:

rear curtain?? sorry can tell me more mah... =)

hmmm... okie i will try... =)

so easy ar... can i want use manual mode...? =)

sorry if i didn't state clearly... i'm refering outdoor night portrait shooting... so my ISO need to set to 400 - 800 izit?? :cry:

rear curtain flash kicks in at the end of your exposure. so u meter for the background and the flash acts as a fill for your subject. so for example, u shot someone with the esplanade as a background. u meter for the building and u set the flash on rear curtain. when the shutter is abt to close, the flash goes off and lights up your model.

note that it will be better to be using manual mode for this and maybe a tripod.

Try to avoid high ISOs in order to minimise noise in your pics which can be easily seen in night's dark sky. Use around ISO 100 is fine since u're using a tripod.

Another trick is to use manual with low shutter speeds of about 1/15 or so, bump up the ISO to about 400 or 800 and fill flash at about -1.0 to get a balanced foreground and background...

Need to do some trial and error tests for different situations. ;)

okay this method has two outcomes. either you want a still background or one with moving lights. put on manual model, set to 1/2 sec exposure iso abt 400. set ur flash to ittl. and point direct down. (pointing at ur subject.) can dun worry...if ur scared to harsh tone it down. anyway. ensure that ur "model" is dark...no random street lamps or cars drive by.

okay for still background put ur camera on tripod. for dynamic background hand hald your camera and when u click just turn the camera. quickly. u can explore here do any kind of movement u want. best ur bg is xmas lights

by the way turn OFF rear curtain lighting for either of this. on ur camera in the flash column where u can choose red eye reduction and th power tone down..ensure the word rear is off. also make sure on ur flash the "BL" is off too. should be on i ttl only.

thank flipfreak, Snoweagle, Rashkae, zac08 n stupidbloke...

thank for the tips... i guess i need to trial and error tests for it...

i got a female friend she wanna to have studio shoot cause she don't wanna to sweat in outdoor day shoot... but problem is i don't know how to handle studio equipments, so i decide to have a night shoot with her... that is y i need advised on night portrait shoot tips... :)

thank once again guys...

i got a female friend she wanna to have studio shoot cause she don't wanna to sweat in outdoor day shoot... but problem is i don't know how to handle studio equipments, so i decide to have a night shoot with her... that is y i need advised on night portrait shoot tips... :)

thank once again guys...

good luck on your first shoot then. most important is to have fun. :thumbsup:

thank thank... btw any place is good for night portrait shooting.. :)

Lots of good locations!

But if I may suggest... Try using the Auto "Night Portrait" function to get a test shot. Take a look at the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc that the camera selected. Use that as a good starting point for your Manual mode and learn. :)

Can slow syn be use in this situation???

Lots of good locations!

But if I may suggest... Try using the Auto "Night Portrait" function to get a test shot. Take a look at the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc that the camera selected. Use that as a good starting point for your Manual mode and learn. :)

hmm.. i guess this the only way to learn fast...

somewhere with nice dramatic lighting at night? not too complicated though.

i will go search around...

Can slow syn be use in this situation???

i did some research on it... yes can use slow syn n longer shutter speed... but your model need to b stay still till your shutter close... :)

thank once again guys...

Studio shoots are more difficult to control as if u don't know how to control lighting, results can be disastrous.

Mebbe try not a completely-night-shoot, but late-ish evening time? Should be cooler then; and if you catch the magic hour of 7pm +/- 1/2 hr there could be interesting sunset-lit and later dusk skies...

Studio shoots are more difficult to control as if u don't know how to control lighting, results can be disastrous.

oh izit... look like so got lotsa things to learn in photography...:bsmilie:

Mebbe try not a completely-night-shoot, but late-ish evening time? Should be cooler then; and if you catch the magic hour of 7pm +/- 1/2 hr there could be interesting sunset-lit and later dusk skies...

The blue of a clear evening sky around 7+ can be very nice too.

so 7pm+ is the golden time for night shooting... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.