Need Advise for Newbie Wedding Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohgui

Jan 31, 2005
La La Land
will be covering a friend's church wedding soon as a backup photographer. need some advise on how to shoot such events. these are what i have:

Nikon D70 body
AF-S 18-75mm f/3.5-4.5G lens
AF-D 50mm f/1.8 lens
AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 lens
SB-600

will the above be sufficient for the shoot? what's the optimal setting should i use? what mode should i shoot in?

yes it's quite sufficient. :) Try to shoot with Aperture mode..

destiny_star said:
yes it's quite sufficient. :) Try to shoot with Aperture mode..

use aperture? How about P mode?

actually, u will save time and get more info if u do a search on the forum for "wedding settings" for example.

recently there has been many threads on this issue (becos it's the chinese 8th month!) so pple like catchlights have been giving good advise to all of us here in clubsnap. do him some justice and read those advise, if not he's gonna type it all out here again... or not.

anyway since i'm here, i'll ans ur questions.

yes ur equipment is plenty good!

mode? all except S i would presume would be good. however, i'm on M 100% of the time (even if i'm not shooting weddings...). dunno if that would work for u.

thanks folks for the advise. would search for the relevant threads on this topic.

Not sure how Nikon flash systems work with the bodies. But with Canon on P & full auto modes the flash only exposes the subject/foreground. And in Av/Tv modes, the camera meters the ambient/background and the flash lets off enough light to correctly expose the subject, but the shutter is deliberately left open longer.

n0d3 said:
Not sure how Nikon flash systems work with the bodies. But with Canon on P & full auto modes the flash only exposes the subject/foreground. And in Av/Tv modes, the camera meters the ambient/background and the flash lets off enough light to correctly expose the subject, but the shutter is deliberately left open longer.
Oh... If i am not wrong... Nikon does not have slow sync switched on for ambient light to be captured for it's Av mode... Unless u switch it on...

Church wedding is a bit complicated for newbie, nobody is going to wait for you to take any shots if you don’t work fast enough or not sure what to do.

And you should leave the main photographer cover the important event; you might get in the way of the main photographer or appeal in the background.

I’m not sure are you familiar with the progress of the holy matrimony, certain moment you are not suppose to use flash, or taking pictures, and certain area is out of bound, please find this “do and don’t” from your church pastors before hand.

I use M mode for indoor, off course the flash is my main light, I set 1/30s most of the time but also aware about the ambient, dial to higher speed when necessary, may use 1/15s when doing a wide interior shot.

You can use your 50mm for available light candid shots during the ceremony, if the main photographer is not free to shoot this.

When you shoot group photos, try to use between f5.6 to f8, don’t use the widest end of your kit lens unless really bo pian. Pack the people close and nicely, make sure every faces can be seen.

Let ur camera auto mode take care of metering,just think of how to compose and anticipating the special moments.

a technically well exposed photo is nothing compared to a special moment captured.

ohh,dun get into the main photographer way..

Status
Not open for further replies.