Need Advise for DSLR in Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosgsy

Jun 19, 2007
Hi, Newbie here, very keen in photography. I'm looking forward to purchase my first DSLR next month. Now doing information gathering for decision making so would appreciate comments and advises from anyone. I hopes to do wedding photography in future so will be looking for a camera towards tht direction. My budget is ard $2K+. I've seen a few models mention after searching through the forums - Fuji S5, Sony Alpha 100, Nikon D80, Canon 400D, Pentax K10D, KM5D. Pls do also advise along with lenses combination for long term. Thanks and grateful in advance. :D

I know that someone has ever done a wedding shoot with a KM5D/Sony Alpha and kit lens before. Result is pretty good too. Just go to the shop to see which camera are you more comfortable with. All cameras are good. Just get the one you feel most comfy working with. Worry about lens later.

I think 2k is a bit too low....2.5k is much closer.

Since you will also need
1) An external flash
2) dry cabinet
3) other acessories - memory cards, lens cleaning kit etc

unless you go for second hand body..which might be an issue in terms of guarantee.

Forget about Fuji S5, that thing cost about 2.2-2.5k...without lens

Other additions you might need in the future is
-tripod
-fast lens

The cheapest is probably 2nd hand KM 5D, come with AS built in for every lens, just need a good flash, may be a 50mm lens plus dry box, you are almost ready to go.

But to shoot wedding, you probably need better preparation and skill.

i shot a wedding with D70+kit lens...more then enough...

All cameras can be used for wedding photography, so long as you know how to use them well.

Though it is often touted that Fujifilm would be the way to go due to their increased dynamic range captured, shrug. Not sure whether it's true.

There's no specific brand/model for wedding. It really depend on what style you are shooting.

However, the more favored models are S5Pro and 5D. But both are already beyond your budget.

If indoor shoots, better get a camera with low noise at higher ISOs

Although I'm a nikonian, I would recommend that you get the C brand which handles better at high iso since wedding photography usually involves shooting indoor in low light condition.

However I've seen a couple of wedding photographers using D80 and D200s. You can get the D80 with kit lens at $1700+, within your budget. ;)

Hi, Newbie here, very keen in photography. I'm looking forward to purchase my first DSLR next month. Now doing information gathering for decision making so would appreciate comments and advises from anyone. I hopes to do wedding photography in future so will be looking for a camera towards tht direction. My budget is ard $2K+. I've seen a few models mention after searching through the forums - Fuji S5, Sony Alpha 100, Nikon D80, Canon 400D, Pentax K10D, KM5D. Pls do also advise along with lenses combination for long term. Thanks and grateful in advance. :D

400D or 20D? With a 24-105 F4L or 17-55 f2.8 along with a 580EX. That should set you back about 3K+.

And that does not include memory cards, batteries for camera and flash and dry cabinet and colour calibrator.

The Olympus E510 is also a good choice with its inbuilt IS and its usable ASA 1600.

S5pro is great with its AWB but kinda over budget liao.

Thanks for all yr replies. :D Will probably save up more and and mean time learn and practices for the skills. Wondering wht it takes to be a good wedding photographer other than passion? Pls share yr experiences.

For actual day wedding you will also need a spare body. You can't take a risk with your couple once a life time event with only 1 body.:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.