Need advise - DX & FX body

Status
Not open for further replies.

siahweiian

Nov 26, 2009
Punggol
IF for a FX body,what kind of lens can it fix with and what kind of images will i get. ( e.p DX lens on a FX body. Same goes for a DX body, if fix with a FX type of lens( zoom,normal,wideangle etc )
What i know is For FX body you see what you get and DX body you need to (x1.5)
Please guide me on this. :)

Enlighten me. This too can let me know better if wanted to upgrade to FX.:cool:

IF for a FX body,what kind of lens can it fix with and what kind of images will i get. ( e.p DX lens on a FX body. Same goes for a DX body, if fix with a FX type of lens( zoom,normal,wideangle etc )

an FX body has a larger sensor, 1.5 times larger which means any lens you are using on a DX body "will see more" if used on FX. For example, you are shooting your friend 5 feet away using a DX cam and a fixed 50mm lens, you will only see the head part of your friend in the viewfinder, but if you changed to an FX cam and used the SAME 50mm lens and you're friend is still 5 feet away, this time your FX cam "will see" a bigger field of view, so this time you will get a half body shot..the increase in field of view is 1.5 times

Last edited:
If you use a crop-sensor lens on a full-frame body, you have 2 choices: use the full sensor (which can mean heavy vignetting) or use the center area to create an aps-c equivalent section.

i do suggest you read reviews on the D3 and D700 to understand more, especially since your question is already discussed and explained extensively online.

short answer:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

refer to the link at Use in FX Format section... basically if you're force DX lens or third party equivalent to FX bodies without using the crop mode... your photos would be like Tokina ATX 116 Pro DX at 11-13mm... because of Sensor larger than Lens' image circle...

if reverse i.e. FX lens on DX body no prob, since the lens image circle coverage is larger than DX sensor...

long answer:
google yourself and would return results for you to read more than 1 week...

hope this helps...

What you see through the viewfinder on both kind of bodies is very close to what you get with the respective body...

D300's viewfinder has 100% coverage, which is more than that of the D700. You "see more" with the D300, but you're actually still seeing a smaller area than what you should be seeing through the D700 granted that you have the same FX lens mounted on the two bodies.

siahweiian said:
Please guide me on this.

Sorry, based on the text in bold, you don't know.
My D80's viewfinder has 90+% coverage, so what I see is ALMOST what I get, but definitely not reduced by a factor of 1.5
The D700 also has 90+% coverage, so it also cannot be classified precisely as "WYSIWYG"

"FX Body" is a very generic term.
Canon's 5D is an FX body, and it can fit EF lenses but not (correct me if I'm wrong here) EF-S lenses.
Nikon's D700 is also an FX body, but it can fit all the Nikkor lenses using the F-mount, even including all the DX lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.