Need advise: D7000 hotpixel after firmware upgrade

hydez

Dec 26, 2010
Dear D7000 owners and Nikon experts,

I am new to photography and I need your valuable advise here.

I have recently updated my Nikon D7000 with the latest firmware and took some pictures with the lens cap on at various ISO settings.

Here are the link to all the pictures:

Shutter:1sec ISO:200 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:400 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:800 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:1600 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:3200 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:6400 f/3.5

The questions are:
1) Are all the picture I've taken is normal (with many hot pixels) at that kind of settings?
2) Did I make any mistakes for this hot pixel test
3) Could you all kindly advise on how to do a proper hot pixel test
4) I've noticed there is 1 blue dead pixel on my lcd screen. Should I send to NSC for repair/re-mapping?

Thank you very much for all your advise and help... Greatly appreciated.

Cheers..:)

Dear D7000 owners and Nikon experts,

I am new to photography and I need your valuable advise here.

I have recently updated my Nikon D7000 with the latest firmware and took some pictures with the lens cap on at various ISO settings.

Here are the link to all the pictures:

Shutter:1sec ISO:200 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:400 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:800 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:1600 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:3200 f/3.5
Shutter:1sec ISO:6400 f/3.5

The questions are:
1) Are all the picture I've taken is normal (with many hot pixels) at that kind of settings?
2) Did I make any mistakes for this hot pixel test
3) Could you all kindly advise on how to do a proper hot pixel test
4) I've noticed there is 1 blue dead pixel on my lcd screen. Should I send to NSC for repair/re-mapping?

Thank you very much for all your advise and help... Greatly appreciated.

Cheers..:)

maybe u can try remapped again by urself.

I don't think dead pixel on LCD screen can be repaired or mapped.

Hot pixels are present on every camera at higher ISO settings. This is normal. Don't panic.

Last edited:
Did you adjust the Noise Reduction setting? If not, try doing so.

dead pixel on the LCD screen is very unfortunate... You can try bringing this up at NSC but I think they have a minimum guideline for dead pixels to follow before allowing change, e.g. 7 dead / bright pixels. Anyway, I am not that certain but if there is a single dead pixel, other pixels have a higher tendency to "die" too, haha. Well of cos, it's just a personal experience, not that I know if it is proven by science.

maybe u can try remapped again by urself.
Dear Baggiolee, Thank you for replying... I've tried update the firmware more than three times but it seems showing the same result.

I don't think dead pixel on LCD screen cannot be repaired or mapped.
Hot pixels are present on every camera at higher ISO settings. This is normal. Don't panic.
Dear TheChef, Thank you for your advise... so you mean I should ignore the dead pixel on my lcd? and the pictures are normal for that kind of settings, but dont you think the hot pixel is kinda alot there.

Did you adjust the Noise Reduction setting? If not, try doing so.
Dear Ultrazoom, Yah I've put it to highest Noise Reduction settings when I took the pictures

This D7000 famous hot pixel (bright spots) issue appears while taking videos in low light.

But this one: http://i56.tinypic.com/2a4wn7a.jpg
the purple dot things that you saw, they can't be remapped. It appears on all camera due to shooting in very high ISO, not D7000 only.

This D7000 famous hot pixel (bright spots) issue appears while taking videos in low light.

But this one: http://i56.tinypic.com/2a4wn7a.jpg
the purple dot things that you saw, they can't be remapped. It appears on all camera due to shooting in very high ISO, not D7000 only.

Hi jeff7id, as for the rest of the pictures with lower ISO settings are all good/acceptable?

Last edited:
Hi sorry bro, don't meant to hijack your thread, because i got e same prob too.

Just bought my D7000 today and when i tried few settings like iso800, f8, 8sec, there are two bright white or green pixel which unsure whether its dead or bright pixel. Anyone can tell me is it ok to leave it or i can just call e shop to ask whether they allowed to exchange?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16760836@N02/5293096679

Just bought my D7000 today and when i tried few settings like iso800, f8, 8sec, there are two bright white or green pixel which unsure whether its dead or bright pixel. Anyone can tell me is it ok to leave it or i can just call e shop to ask whether they allowed to exchange?

At such long exposures, the sensor will heat up for sure. This is normal.

Dear TheChef, Thank you for your advise... so you mean I should ignore the dead pixel on my lcd? and the pictures are normal for that kind of settings, but dont you think the hot pixel is kinda alot there.

I don't think NSC will entertain your request for camera change just because of 1 dead pixel. If any bro here managed to do a 1-to-1 camera change just because of 1 dead pixel please stand up.

Last edited:

I took the shot with same settings as yours... and I think my hot pixel is more than you... haha:bsmilie:
Shutter: 8 sec ISO:800 f/8

Dear Ultrazoom, Yah I've put it to highest Noise Reduction settings when I took the pictures
High ISO Noise Reduction is different from Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Did you turn on the Long Exposure Noise Reduction after updating the firmware?

High ISO Noise Reduction is different from Long Exposure Noise Reduction. Did you turn on the Long Exposure Noise Reduction after updating the firmware?

Hi tomcat, yup when I took the picture I did on the highest ISO noise reduction and as well as the Long Exposure Noise Reduction.

Why?... is it unusual to see that many hot pixel?

Mine alot too. the sample which i posted was actually zoomed in.

I don't think NSC will entertain your request for camera change just because of 1 dead pixel. If any bro here managed to do a 1-to-1 camera change just because of 1 dead pixel please stand up.

At such long exposures, the sensor will heat up for sure. This is normal.

but that very pixel is very unusual, kinda bright from my LCD. unlike those blue or purple pixel. i can only see it when i zoom in

CanonInD said:

Did you update to the newest firmware?