Need advise before I purchase my tripod.

justsochubby

Dec 15, 2011
Simei estate
Happy Chinese new year to everyone. I have done my research and even went down to try out the tripods. I am pondering over the SIRUI T2205X with K10 and Manfrotto 190XProB + Manfrotto 322RC2. Guys please advise me, I am facing difficulty deciding which to buy. I just need a light and sturdy tripod which I can bring around to take landscape pictures, fireworks and sun set.

Last edited:
So what is the difference, why do you have these two choices? :)

What is your priority? Weight? Size stowed?

How about testing them out yourself? A bit hard to sense how good is a tripod through looking at technical specs of other ppl's pt of view. I would choose Sirui because of higher load capacity, lighter weight due to CF, more compact when folded.

Depends on if you need the grip on the 322 ballhead. Personally I find it good to have but not necessary. K10 has a significantly larger weight capacity so that's the one I will choose.

My main priority will be the weight. Sirui legs are quite thin compare to the manfrotto model, but it is so much lighter and of cos cheaper

Last edited:
yes! I like the weight of the SIRUI tripod, but I have concerns over the thin legs. It looks like very fragile to me, will it be very shaky? The manfrotto one will be much more sturdy and much more expensive.

Last edited:
I test at the shop, I felt the pressure by the salesperson. Wah keep talking to me, make me stressed sia.

I'm using that Manfrotto combo and I don't think I'm ever gonna sell it (or only if I upgrade to a same-feature combo). It has been with me for more than 2 years. Position the grip on the left and you will have a very effective turret-style shooting. Some say the head isn't very flexible but they might be forgetting that the socket can be rotated to do extreme tilts. There's also this tension control which I really like.

But it's not lightweight. It may be for the first few hours but once you get to carry it all day, you'll definitely feel the aches. Plus the rubber studs get lost easily. That's the only complaint I have.

I test at the shop, I felt the pressure by the salesperson. Wah keep talking to me, make me stressed sia.

Just have to be abit more thick skin and test what you have to... A customer's right I suppose...

Anyway, the 2205's last section sure feels flimsy to me. Which was the reason why I settled for the 04 which is slightly longer (as it have lesser section) than the 05. Sirui is one of the more affordable lightweight tripod I've seen.. Manfrotto 190XPROB is abit on the heavy side, but no doubt about it's stability.

For me, lightweight is the priority.

Maybe I just share my experience.

My 1st tripod is Manfrotto. I mean it's a well-recognized brand, trusted, tested, reliable, looks steady and gives confidence, what is not to like about Manfrotto? - Other than price. But portability is a major issue. Manfrotto is heavy, bulky and difficult to carry, I got shoulder pain carrying it because I spend more time walking with the tripod sling and then shooting on it.

So I changed to a Sirui Carbon Fiber. It's much lighter, cheaper and at first what I am concern is the quality and if it can do that job. So I am impressed. No complaints. It had handled D700 with MB-D10, 70-200 VR2 + TC20eiii.

What I learn is tripod portability is important and that I don't use tripod that much. I can shoot without motion blur at 1/15s plus I can good noise control with my body and hence I rarely need to use my tripod so the lighter and cheaper and yet can do that job, the better for me. For me, I am glad that I ditched my Manfrotto for Sirui.

Hi, I'm using fotopro C5, cheap n good. No complaint so far. U should try that out at artworkfoto.

justsochubby said:
My main priority will be the weight. Sirui legs are quite thin compare to the manfrotto model, but it is so much lighter and of cos cheaper

I might have made an error but when I was looking at specs manfrotto legs aren't thicker than sirui. Maybe I saw the wrong model. Do note the tx series is probably meant for traveling convenience. If you want more sturdy ones look at the R 2xxx series such as R2204.

If you want something lightweight the manfrotto is out. It's anything but light. :bsmilie: :sweatsm:

I have the Sirui R2204 and KX 20 head, it is compact and much lighter then my old 190 basic, when both tripod fully extend without using center column, the R2204 stood taller.

TS, can try out Manfrotto 190More with 498RC2 ~

Thanks for your advices, Today I will make a trip down again and have to be extra thick face this time... Probably I will try out the S2204X (4section) and S2205X (5section) tripod.

The BNS got ppl selling the T2205X with K10. Seller priced at $320 and looks reasonable to me since it is 4 month olds. Do you guys think it is a good buy? Any pointers for viewing tripod.

The BNS got ppl selling the T2205X with K10. Seller priced at $320 and looks reasonable to me since it is 4 month olds. Do you guys think it is a good buy? Any pointers for viewing tripod.

Take your heaviest setup down to the seller (be it a shop or individual seller from BnS), load your gear on his tripod when it is fully extended, then give it a few shakes to see the stability of the tripod. See if anything is loose or shaky.

Note to expect less stability when the central column is fully extended, and it is perfectly alright.

Remember to test the knobs on the leg to see if they tightened probably and fully, and thus the section of the legs must not give in with a slight push.

Oh... and for the ballhead, if you want to get from a seller from BnS, it would be good to first go down to the shop, test similar ballhead first and had the first hand experience and idea on the stability of the ballhead, including ballhead creeps (I think that is what it is call) whereby at a given locked angle, the head would move down a bit, then with that experience go to the seller from BnS and test his ballhead and see if it meet that expectation (with a +- applied depend on the age of the ballhead). No point getting a ballhead that creeps very much or cannot even locked on.

Last edited:

Ask Uncle Rhino to go with you... He can help you check... :bsmilie:

Weight is the prime consideration, then stability.