Need Advice?

FrogmanTan

Sep 30, 2011
hi guys & gals

Probably I do some intro why I am into DSLR camera before I start asking for advice.

Initially, I wanted a camera that give me the effect of blur background, I start off with digita coolpix P500 and it bring me into the world of DSLR function. This ignite my interest into photography but I am still blur of how this shutter speed and Aperture thingy...in Jun, my colleague gave me a birthday present of Nikon D3100 with the basic len 18-55MM.
I had been play with it for a while and last month I bought a 55-200mm len thinking it should be better as to get that blurry background and I can zoom further esp when my kids is in the swimming pool which i dont want to bring the camera near the water. But I notice that 55-200mm are meant for shoot far object and I can shoot anything near.

Thus, my advice and question are...
1. I am think of changing the 55-200mm lens to 18-105mm or 18-135mm lens, is it advisable? cos I do not want to carry 2 lens everytime i am out
2. Than where can i sell away the 55-200mm lens or anywhere I can trade in ?
3. I notice shooting day shoot should be quite ok (for my standard now) but night shoot I am still trying to figure out esp when I use manual function, can advice how I can use the shutter speed and aperture control to get me the picture I want, I alway tell myself I wanted to shoot a photo that what you see is what you get...

please help and advice?

1. To get a “blurry background”, you don’t have to buy the 18-105, 18-120 because you can do it with your current set up.

you CAN use your 55-200mm. Set it to 200mm, and make sure the background is as far away as possible from your subject.

Alternatively you can purchase a BIG aperture lens. This will make it MUCH easier to get your “blurry background) 50mm 1.8 comes to mind as a good starting prime lens to buy.

2. You can buy/sell here.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forums/104-Buy-Sell-Nikon-Equipment

3. No shortcuts. You have to learn it, either by reading up or by signing up for a course on Basic Photography.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...ography-for-Newbies-Product-Price-Outlet-List
This is a good place to start.

Read the whole “About Exposure” section. Have fun! :) Once you get it, it’ll open a whole new world for you.

Thanks Shane...

Will go read up or try signing up courses...

I am sorry...I think I put wrongly...it should me 55-300mm len.

The problem with 55-300mm len is I must shoot it far away and zoom in while the angle was pretty narrow, in which 18-55mm I have a wide angle but cannot shoot far...that y i thought of getting 18-105mm or 18-135mm len...

hi guys & gals

Probably I do some intro why I am into DSLR camera before I start asking for advice.

Initially, I wanted a camera that give me the effect of blur background, I start off with digita coolpix P500 and it bring me into the world of DSLR function. This ignite my interest into photography but I am still blur of how this shutter speed and Aperture thingy...in Jun, my colleague gave me a birthday present of Nikon D3100 with the basic len 18-55MM.
I had been play with it for a while and last month I bought a 55-200mm len thinking it should be better as to get that blurry background and I can zoom further esp when my kids is in the swimming pool which i dont want to bring the camera near the water. But I notice that 55-200mm are meant for shoot far object and I can shoot anything near.

This is called 'shallow' depth-of-field and is basically affected by 3 factors, i.e. aperture, focal length and subject distance.

You may refer to video below for more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=95Igz6QM7Ag

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There is a choice between wide angle that you would like and blur background(bokeh) that you would like. I won't get into the technicalities until you have better understanding on how all these apertures and shutter speed things work first. So you can opt for large aperture lens which will easily give you the blur background even when your subject is like 2m away from the lens.
Since you are on D3100, the cheapest choice where you can immediately benefit from is 50mm f/1.8 It's cheap and it's good. It will definitely achieve what you want. As for your zoom lens, it is possible like what another CSer mention, but you need to be at a favorable position to achieve that, which I say might not be easy at times.

I suggest you go into a reputated camera shop like Cathay Photo at Funan or Marina, Alan Photo at Funan (feel free to start another thread to enquire about which camera shop is recommended). Request for a test of the 50mm f/1.8 lens with your camera, stating that you are interested to consider purchasing. Test out the blur background effect that you are looking for and see if it's exactly what you wanted. As pre note for you is when you are using such lens at its maximum aperture, they tend to get out of focus easily on moving subject.

Thanks Shane...

Will go read up or try signing up courses...

I am sorry...I think I put wrongly...it should me 55-300mm len.

The problem with 55-300mm len is I must shoot it far away and zoom in while the angle was pretty narrow, in which 18-55mm I have a wide angle but cannot shoot far...that y i thought of getting 18-105mm or 18-135mm len...

David Kwok said:
There is a choice between wide angle that you would like and blur background(bokeh) that you would like. I won't get into the technicalities until you have better understanding on how all these apertures and shutter speed things work first. So you can opt for large aperture lens which will easily give you the blur background even when your subject is like 2m away from the lens.
Since you are on D3100, the cheapest choice where you can immediately benefit from is 50mm f/1.8 It's cheap and it's good. It will definitely achieve what you want. As for your zoom lens, it is possible like what another CSer mention, but you need to be at a favorable position to achieve that, which I say might not be easy at times.

I suggest you go into a reputated camera shop like Cathay Photo at Funan or Marina, Alan Photo at Funan (feel free to start another thread to enquire about which camera shop is recommended). Request for a test of the 50mm f/1.8 lens with your camera, stating that you are interested to consider purchasing. Test out the blur background effect that you are looking for and see if it's exactly what you wanted. As pre note for you is when you are using such lens at its maximum aperture, they tend to get out of focus easily on moving subject.

I don't recommend going to Alan photo at funan. Just look through the forum and you will see many cases of poor service and high pricing

Thanks LFC25..the video wasvery useful

Thanks David, certainly I will go check out this len...

Actually David & Spree86, Alan photo at Sim Lim is it the same as the one in Funan as you mentioned?...I got my 55-300m len there lei

The 18-105mm is very good, 18-200mm is best all round from what you shared, esp if you want only 1 lens. But of course if shallow depth of field (very blur background) is high priority, can consider addtional fast fixed focal length prime lens like the 50mm f1.8 that was recommended. Best if you can try these out first at NSC before you buy so you dont have to go round on this again. Most shops wont let you try these out.

Last edited:
spree86 said:
I don't recommend going to Alan photo at funan. Just look through the forum and you will see many cases of poor service and high pricing

Well that is not my main concern when I responsed. That is why I requested TS to enquire via a separate thread. If I will to recommend, it would only be CP at Marina :)

FrogmanTan said:
Thanks David, certainly I will go check out this len...

Actually David & Spree86, Alan photo at Sim Lim is it the same as the one in Funan as you mentioned?...I got my 55-300m len there lei

I believe they are the same brand just different branch. If you are satisfied with the service you get from AP, you can proceed. Another CSer suggested Nikon Showroom at Fuji Xerox building is also feasible, though I find it less convenient. You decide :)

Thanks,,,s1221ljc

will go check out the en 18-200mm while also the 50mm f1.8...wonder what will be the price like?

Alan photo in sim lim was recommended by one of my friend...so far so good on their service...

hi guys & gals

Thus, my advice and question are...
1. I am think of changing the 55-200mm lens to 18-105mm or 18-135mm lens, is it advisable? cos I do not want to carry 2 lens everytime i am out
2. Than where can i sell away the 55-200mm lens or anywhere I can trade in ?
3. I notice shooting day shoot should be quite ok (for my standard now) but night shoot I am still trying to figure out esp when I use manual function, can advice how I can use the shutter speed and aperture control to get me the picture I want, I alway tell myself I wanted to shoot a photo that what you see is what you get...

please help and advice?

1) why not 18-200
2) sell at the buy n sell section here.
3) use the P mode, then study the camera setting. or the scene mode, then study the camera setting. or read up. then move on from there.. cheers

1) why not 18-200
2) sell at the buy n sell section here.
3) use the P mode, then study the camera setting. or the scene mode, then study the camera setting. or read up. then move on from there.. cheers

Yes...18-200m was in 1 of my consideration....

Actually, I was thinking of trade in for the 55-300mm...but not sure which shop accept this?

I did go and read up the manual and try out some of the function, but sometime just a bit confuse and sometime dont really understand what is it...I also did go you tube and watch some of the video, it do help and useful, I think i need more practice ba.....

Try looking at the 35mm f1.8.. as i personally find the 50mm f1.8 a bit too tight for a crop sensors body...:)

Jas1984...
what do you mean by "too tight for a crop sensors body"?

Yes...18-200m was in 1 of my consideration....

Actually, I was thinking of trade in for the 55-300mm...but not sure which shop accept this?

I did go and read up the manual and try out some of the function, but sometime just a bit confuse and sometime dont really understand what is it...I also did go you tube and watch some of the video, it do help and useful, I think i need more practice ba.....

Shops that sell new stuff only will not accept trade ins. Some shops that also deal with 2nd hand items will accept trade in. But you will find that the price they take it in is very very low. Why don't you try to sell your lens in the classifieds section here in clubsnap?

thanks dare devil123....

anyone, do you happen to know what is the different between 50mm f/1.8G and 50mm f/1.8D?

Jas1984...
what do you mean by "too tight for a crop sensors body"?

Do note D3100 have a 1.5x crop... ( meaning to say af-s 35mm f1.8 = 35 x 1.5 = 52.5mm when mounting it on the crop sensor camera)

So 50mm is not 50mm on the D3100 and is 75mm.. Try setting ur lens to 50mm and try shooting portrait indoor you will understand... hope you understand what i am taking about as my english quite bad...:)

Last edited: