need advice

luckyorange

Jan 13, 2011
Ang Mo Kio
Hello all Cs people, Im thinking to buy a Nikon 50mm f1.8D Prime Lens. can i ask if the lens can AF on d3000? =x if mf is it difficult? thanks for reading =)

Hello all Cs people, Im thinking to buy a Nikon 50mm f1.8D Prime Lens. can i ask if the lens can AF on d3000? =x if mf is it difficult? thanks for reading =)

No it will not AF on the D3000. MF is difficult especially if your subject is moving, and if you don't replace your focusing screen. The small viewfinder of the D3000 makes it especially hard to manually focus, and it's worse if you don't have a focusing screen designed for manual focusing.

alright than i think i can forget about getting a prime lens haha

alright than i think i can forget about getting a prime lens haha

You could still get a 35mm f1.8, it's twice the price of the 50/1.8, but that's one of your few options for primes when you are on a D3000. Others include the Sigma 30/50/85mm primes and the 24/50/85mm f1.4G lenses, though the Nikkors are very expensive.

ya i know... so 30mm or 50mm sigma got afs also? how much?

luckyorange said:
ya i know... so 30mm or 50mm sigma got afs also? how much?

When looking at sigma lenses, if the models have the HSM designation, it means it can AF on your d3000. For tamron, lenses with BIM or PZD designation will AF with d3000. For Tokina , you have to read up on the specs or ask people or try the lens to be sure. For Nikon, any lens with AF-S or AF-I will AF on the d3000.

You can consider getting a 2nd hand AFS 35 f/1.8 to try it out. 35mm on your D3000 gives you a very acceptable field of view, as well as the speed to shoot in lower light.

Don't give up on primes, you may grow to love them! :p